Sponsored

2025 cabin air filter "rodent screen"

Yotota

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Oct 10, 2024
Threads
4
Messages
292
Reaction score
293
Location
SW WA
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD
I pulled the cowl. Here is the entry point. (You can also see where they chewed through two wires that I'll splice back together)
I will measure this and model something to 3D print a cover today after work.

IMG_8875.webp
I
I'm being pedantic here, but for the sake of accuracy...

You removed the plastic "cowl cover", and we're now looking at the cowl itself. The cowl is the metal body piece that is permanently attached to the cab. At each end of the cowl, there is a drain gap where the fenders attach. Critters are getting in through those gaps.

Looking at the HVAC intake, it would be easy to create a cover with some mesh/screen to prevent critter intrusion.

Thanks for digging into this!
 

MustardTiger

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Nov 13, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
273
Reaction score
215
Location
Canada
Vehicle(s)
TacoMAX/SDuty/Dmax
Is the cowl and wipers pretty easy to remove? I did this on my Tundra, as a preventable measure. My newer steel-body Super Duty has a screen over the hvac intake, but not all model years did…same thing with my GMC. I’ll definitely be taking this apart on the Taco and screening it!! After mice get in once, they will again for sure. And the vehicle is never the same once it happens
 

Sponsored

Canufixit

SR
Well-known member
First Name
Canu
Joined
Mar 23, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
94
Reaction score
36
Location
New England
Vehicle(s)
2025 sr DC 4x
I've not had my filter out - but why can't you just remove the filter and put a 1/4" opening hardware cloth rectangle cut flat on top side of the filter and put it back ??
 

andrewleader

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Andrew
Joined
Jul 19, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
57
Reaction score
119
Location
Washington State
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road 5' Automatic with Stabilizer Dsconnect
I've not had my filter out - but why can't you just remove the filter and put a 1/4" opening hardware cloth rectangle cut flat on top side of the filter and put it back ??
That's literally what I did! I tried removing the windshield wipers as per some ppl here, but I couldn't, so I decided "well if they're accessing from the top, I can just put 1/4" hardware cloth on top of the filter".

I can't say whether it does or doesn't "work", but in theory I think it'd work, and it was ridiculously simple! And I confirmed that the cabin air filter (and its new mesh screen) fits perfectly inside its box it fits in, there's no gaps behind it or anything.

2024 Tacoma 2025 cabin air filter "rodent screen" 1791219951902-28


FYI, they can also get in through some rear cabin pressure release vents... I had actual mice get in through my cabin pressure release vents (these are behind the rear seats)... I made a video about putting a cover on those...

Mouse-proofing the rear cabin pressure release vents:
Sponsored

 
 






Top