Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Hello, everyone. I've owned a dashcam on my last four vehicles (over 11 years now). I started with an Itronics ITB 100HD, then moved onto a BlackVue DR500G-HD, and currently own a BlackVue DR900X-2CH (front and rear dual cameras). I also have a parking module (records while car is parked, with a battery protection switch).

My quick experience with these brands, especially the BlackVue, is that they are EXPENSIVE, but worth every penny. When combined with a real Samsung or Sandisk Class 10 SD card, I have never had a video skip or card failure. That's 11 years of daily driving!

Having said that, what is everyone's experience with some of the cheaper cams out there, and more importantly, are you considering a dashcam solution for your '24 Taco?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruissimo

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
I'll go first.

I would LOVE 360-degree coverage, which this Toyota dealer product seems to offer:

Carmate DC4000RA Dashcam 360

2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1704987841045

But not at the cost of resolution. Having 4K is critical, especially in low lighting conditions, and downgrading the image quality can cost you if you're unable to read a license plate, for instance.

I could transfer my current cameras to the truck when I buy it... but the rear camera will be too far forward from the rear bumper to be truly effective. Something that could integrate with the existing 360 cameras would be ideal.

Does anyone know anything about this Toyota part and how it all works, specs, etc?

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I have a fairly cheap $150 Canadian Tire dash cam with rear camera that I've ran for a few years and I had zero complaints so far, that and my cheap radar detector has served me well and will probably continue to run it in the Taco although I would like to upgrade to a full 360 dash cam to catch those door dingers

n118nw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Taco OR Premium
Over the past 4 cars I've owned I've put Rexing dash cams in them facing front and rear that are capacitor charged instead of a battery.. they're one of the few who made descent designs that are flush mounted. I found nonflush mount ones (ones on a mount rather than directly attached) can capture a lot of glare and vibration. Not sure if I'll buy one from them, but I'll be seeing what they have available once I find the Taco for me. I've been happy with their cameras.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
the accessory add-on integrated dash cam is a no brainer, seems ideal to me. Pricey, but I'll gladly pay for less clutter in the cab. Seems intuitive too; you can be parked & if someone backs into your front end it'll capture it.

2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 7.33.50 PM

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
the accessory add-on integrated dash cam is a no brainer, seems ideal to me. Pricey, but I'll gladly pay for less clutter in the cab. Seems intuitive too; you can be parked & if someone backs into your front end it'll capture it.

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 7.33.50 PM.png
Yep! This what I plan to get also.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I have a Garmin Mini in my Gen3 that conviently gets its power from the rear view mirror
same with my dash in the Camry. That was a terrifying experience trying to wire that up, threw me in a loop of faulty sensor codes, can't remember what I did to fix it. Think I blew a fuse in the process or something

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
Yep! This what I plan to get also.
maybe an easy aftermarket DIY plug & play? Looking at the wholesalers listing them at discount claiming compatability w/'24s

EDIT: loaded the wrong link, looking for the taco version...

Wondering if the '24 Tundra version of this cam works on the Tacos, that front gimble makes me think is more of a universal cam / the lens can rotate in relation the rake of the windshield.

2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma Venza_2020_DashCamera_M.pn

Last edited:

FirstTimeTruckBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
I’ve owned several dashcam models over the past 10 years. I currently use a ROVE R3 and have been happy with it for the most part. It’s a little pricey, but I got mine on sale for $300 and it has three cameras (front, cabin, rear) that are nicely combined into three channels. Their iOS app is easy to navigate and can be used to configure the dashcam settings. I especially like how I can view and download videos via the app, which connects to the built-in WiFi of the dashcam. My biggest complaint is every once in a blue moon the dashcam may freeze after downloading a video, requiring me to reset power (I’m hoping this will be resolved by a firmware update). Also, it can be difficult to make out license plates at night, but that’s a common complaint with most dashcams and every model I’ve owned.

https://www.rovedashcam.com/product...n-wifi-gps-1440p-1080p-1080p-front-cabin-rear

It’s nice to see vehicle manufacturers, like Toyota, finally offering a dashcam as an OEM option. Unsurprisingly, the factory dashcam on the 2024 Tacoma is on the expensive side, but I do like its low profile design and how it is integrated with vehicle power (no exposed cables or having to hardwire it yourself). But from reading its description and looking at photos it seems to only be a front camera (no cabin or rear camera). Is this true? Does it use any of the cameras built-into the truck, like the backup camera (I presume not). If that’s the case, I may just keep using my ROVE R3.

One trade-off for have an integrated dashcam from the factory is that you cannot easily upgrade or replace it with a newer model once the technology has become antiquated (a concern for me, as I typically keep my vehicles for several years). Using my ROVE R3 as an example, I can easily swap it out for the newer model when available.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
I have the factory integrated dash cam. It is integrated well and out of the way. I like the video that it takes but it is tricky to install the app and pair it and use it. I only tried to view a video on the app once. You have to press the wifi button to connect to it and it turns off carplay while using the app (you have to do this each time your use it) It took me about 10 minutes and repeated attempts to connect but it finally did. I also took out the card and viewed ith with an micro sd card adapter on my computer which was much easier. Also do it away from your house or your home wifi may be connected to your phone.

if there is anyone with realiable step by steps on how to use the app to view the clips after pairing it, I am all ears!

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium and 2007 Sequioa LTD
Does anyone know if the OEM on that can be purchased after the fact is plug and play as far as wiring or will we have to splice it into the existing wires for the rearview mirrors. It would be nice if someone came up with a way to access all of the existing cameras, pretty Shute the signals are encrypted.

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
I’ve used a ROV as well, and it’s been great. But wiring it in, I hate to tap aftermarket stuff into my OE wiring harnesses. So if I were to put one into my new Taco, I’d buy the OE one as it’s plug and play.

but one thing I simply can’t figure out. Why can’t manufacturers just have the front facing camera also work as a dash cam? Yes it’s in the grill, but would view the same thing as a dash cam. I know not all trims get the forward facing camera, but on the trims that do, what’d it take to make it function as a dash cam? Maybe some aftermarket company will come out with a kit to make that happen.

dkichenside

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road Premium

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 7.33.50 PM.png
If anyone buys this and installs it, a video of the process would be well appreciated. Thx!
Sponsored