Sponsored

Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma

zzdelta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco TRD-Sport
Hey! First post here because I just got my truck. Been an advocate of having a dash cam for a long time now and just had to figure this one out. Fell down a rabbit hole of part numbers and form posts so I figured I'd share the results of my search.

The 2024 Tacoma OEM dash cam has the same part number as the OEM dash cams for the 22+ Tundra and Sequoia (PT949-34222, Ref: ). This lead to some more googling which brought me to the Tundra forms (https://www.tundras.com/threads/dash-cam.106151/). Seems user Maharisc identified the connector used and part numbers for replacement housing (90980-12366) and terminals (82998-24290) if you want to make your own 12v to 5vUSB adapter. User chiefbob also reported that Dongar has made an adapter with a 12v to 5vUSB converter (https://dongar.tech/products/toyota5pin).

The SparksToyota parts center listing for that dash cam also has installation instructions (https://www.sparksparts.com/oem-parts/toyota-dashcam-pt94934222) for a Tacoma. Interesting it looks like some of the instructions might even tease out the Hybrid version. Also interesting is that the instructions require the user to remove the enabling pull tab so "confidential" areas of the Toyota shop or "unreleased vehicles" are not shown. wonder if they had a problem previously but I digress. Those instructions are important because they show the two clips that hold the roof console in and provide part numbers for the little guys should they break. Otherwise the instruction set "looks" the same as the YouTube video I linked above.

Also, brought over from my CR-V; a mount for the dash cam that clamps onto the rearview mirror is a great alternative to suction cups and glue.

YMMV but I think the Dongar adapter might be a really good way to get a nice clean dash cam install.

The Dude

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma, ā€˜99 4Runner
I have the factory integrated dash cam. It is integrated well and out of the way. I like the video that it takes but it is tricky to install the app and pair it and use it. I only tried to view a video on the app once. You have to press the wifi button to connect to it and it turns off carplay while using the app (you have to do this each time your use it) It took me about 10 minutes and repeated attempts to connect but it finally did. I also took out the card and viewed ith with an micro sd card adapter on my computer which was much easier. Also do it away from your house or your home wifi may be connected to your phone.

if there is anyone with realiable step by steps on how to use the app to view the clips after pairing it, I am all ears!
Iā€™ve heard the app is quite the ordeal to use. I have an iPhone, so Iā€™m planning to get a ā€œlightning to sd cardā€ adapter. I have a few sd to micro so adapters around, and try that.

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
I also took out the card
I don't mean to sound like a numpty, but how do you remove the SD card? I've tried to eject mine but it defeated my intellect. Also, yeah the app is a pain in the ass to use. I can connect to the camera, but live view doesn't even work for me. I can see the files though.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
I don't mean to sound like a numpty, but how do you remove the SD card? I've tried to eject mine but it defeated my intellect. Also, yeah the app is a pain in the ass to use. I can connect to the camera, but live view doesn't even work for me. I can see the files though.
So the picture of the micro sd card is the tray. At the top is a tiny notch for your thumbnail or fingernail. Just pull down and out and the entire tray will come out with the micro SD card. The live view is so slow. it will work if you wait long enough but very slow! it is faster to download the clip on your phone and watch it but still not that fast.

2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 24TacoDashcam.JPG

Duce95

First Name
Big Deezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TRD Offroad
maybe an easy aftermarket DIY plug & play? Looking at the wholesalers listing them at discount claiming compatability w/'24s

EDIT: loaded the wrong link, looking for the taco version...

Wondering if the '24 Tundra version of this cam works on the Tacos, that front gimble makes me think is more of a universal cam / the lens can rotate in relation the rake of the windshield.

Venza_2020_DashCamera_M.png.jpeg
Tundra would be the same. Iā€™m interested if you are looking to buy. Iā€™ll get in with you.

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
So the picture of the micro sd card is the tray. At the top is a tiny notch for your thumbnail or fingernail. Just pull down and out and the entire tray will come out with the micro SD card. The live view is so slow. it will work if you wait long enough but very slow! it is faster to download the clip on your phone and watch it but still not that fast.
Thank you! I really appreciate it.

Rover Rover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
First time poster, long time lurker. Just wanted to add my setup and experience as I know the information is still limited. The information from @zzdelta above was very helpful.

I ended up going with the Viofo A229 Pro, which I purchased from BBMC as Amazon didn't carry the 1 channel version and I wanted to keep things simple. My primary criteria when choosing a dashcam was good night time performance, such as that found in cameras containing the Sony Starvis 2 sensors. I've had good experience with Viofo in the past with family members '23 Taco and '17 Camry.

Next up, I ordered the Dongar 5-pin USB adapter as linked above, and removed the overhead plastic panel using a panel removal tool (Also exemplified in the above video on the Tundra). Patience is key here, as those clips (4 in total) are held into place quite good- just be gentle with the leverage. I did not remove any clips from the sun visor. I would say the overall wiring process took me about 5 minutes from start to finish, and I would consider myself a beginner with this type of job. What was nice about the 5-pin connection, at least on my 24 TRD OR premium package- it was completely unoccupied. There was nothing I had to disconnect, it was plug and play (See picture below of connector exactly how I found it). Important note here that this wiring does not allow for parking mode, but I'm waiting for more experienced folks to have fun exploring optimal fuse tap wiring setups before considering that route.

2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1

One other note regarding the mounting of the A229 in particular, I needed to give it some space to the left of the mirror panel to allow for removal of the SD card as unmounting the cam/removing the card requires about 1/2" access towards the right of the camera. Overall I was pleased with how it turned out.

2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 3

If I had to recommend something a little cheaper within this family of Starvis 2 sensor cameras, I would consider the A229 plus (2K variant).

zzdelta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco TRD-Sport
Thanks Rover Rover! great pictures! Did you take any shots of the 4 clips in the roof console? Lucky your adapter came so quickly. I've been waiting on mine since before I made that post! I think there is a parking mode (always hot 12v) wire inside of that harness/connector but Dongar used the ignition on wire to power their USB. I read there was a different optional harness for always on at one point but didn't find any in the real world.

Rover Rover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I did not take pictures of the 4 clips, which I regretted the second I reinstalled everything. Based on the videos, for some reason I thought these were side clips which could be pushed inward using the panel tool- they're actually pyramid-shaped clips which snap upwards into holes located overhead, hence the assembly needs to be pulled directly downward for removal.

That's very interesting regarding the hot 12v, I supposed one could theoretically swap the wires on the harness if they wanted. Let me know if you find out any more info on that, I do recall the garage door opener has a hot wire somewhere in that area. I think Dongar is located in Southern California, it was roughly 1 day of shipping for me (I ordered on Saturday).

Dongar

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Hey @Rover Rover! Thanks for the business!

We're actually working on a parking mode adapter compatible with the 5-pin (the harness you found known as the roof connector) or 10-pin connector going to the mirror! It has a 3-position switch on it... mode 1 is ignition-switched only, like the current adapter, mode 2 is always-on with a 12V low-voltage auto shutoff, and mode 3 is low-voltage protection + timed shut-off (i.e. 16hrs or <12V, whatever comes first). USB-C means it can supply old school 5V microusb/miniusb cameras, as well as 12V blackvue cameras

The module is much much more improved, with USB-C output, an infinitely better buck module, and microcontroller with programmable status lights... prototypes are ready, but given our volumes required to source enough ICs, it's looking like a Q3 launch.

R&D sneak peek:
2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712249133956

2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712249118712

3rd generation Tacoma parking mode adapter prototype:
2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712249409688

BlackVue compatibility:
2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712249348476

PS, just picked up my brand new 2024 Taco TRD OR last night :cool:... more content to come!

Dongar

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
FYI, here are the official steps on accessing the 5-pin rooftop 'option' connector.. it is a tool-less process but it would be wise to use a flat & wide pry tool, if your fingers are too fat.
2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712249852868

Alternatively, you can access the 10-pin mirror connector (tutorial coming soon) which we also have a product for. The 5-pin connector is present in all 2024+ Tacomas and was placed to help upsell you on the OEM Toyota dashcam. The 10-pin is absent in the models without autodimming mirrors (i.e. SR5 without premium package). We have a slight preference for using the 10-pin connector since our current 10-pin dashcam adapter is designed to be windshield mountable whereas the 5-pin version is not. Our new parking mode adapter is modular and will include both 5-pin and 10-pin harnesses in one package.

Rover Rover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Thanks for the update @Dongar, that is exciting and I know some 3rd gen folks as well who would appreciate that option. I'll be keeping an eye out for the product. Always happy to support a fellow Californian ;) I picked up my TRD OR last week!

I think if there is an easy way to access "always on" with your harness, you can also tap into the GPS tracker market, something I was hoping to do once more information was available on tapping into fuse/relay boxes.

Regarding your Figure 6-2, I thought my assembly had two additional red clips (instead of the smaller white), as I was surprised how hard it was to remove the other side, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Dongar

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I checked out the interior fusebox on the 4th generation Tacoma to try out a couple of dashcam installation options. I got both a BlackVue dashcam (3-wire, with parking mode) as well as a traditional hardwire kit (2-wire, ignition-only) workingā€¦.

Skipping to the resultā€¦. Unfortunately the interior fusebox on the 2024 Tacoma (TRD OR gas modelā€¦. Iā€™ll update after I confirm w/ a hybrid) is located under two plastic covers. Thereā€™s not enough clearance to put the plastic covers back on over a fuse holder (aka ā€˜add-a-circuitā€™ or ā€˜fuse tapsā€™). As such, you must modify the plastic cover, or simply keep them off. This is a huge bummer for anybody attempting to use a fuse-tap style hardwire kit or dashcam!!

2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712600338621

Accessing 2024 Tacoma fusebox:
2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712600530972

2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712600554771

2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712600561108

2024 Tacoma Possible Fuses for accessory installation. Do you own research and double check your own vehicle as these can and will change depending on model year, trim level, etc!
2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712600610510

Low profile mini fuses can be pulled by needlenose pliers. Install fuse-tap.
2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712600624967

Original fuse usually goes into lower position. Only use fuses in this position with the designated OEM rating. Dashcam hardwire kits / BlackVue uses upper position ā€¦ 3A in this hardwire kit example.
2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712600629878

Suitable ground points are also slim pickings... There's this nut which turns out to be captive to a washer and not ideal for a fork spade as itā€™s also slotted behind. Iā€™d recommend adding another nut on top.
2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712644540434

slotted behind nut/washer...means you can't secure a fork spade behind it.
2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712644468799

To be continued.

Last edited:

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I checked out the interior fusebox on the 4th generation Tacoma to try out a couple of dashcam installation options. I got both a BlackVue dashcam (3-wire, with parking mode) as well as a traditional hardwire kit (2-wire, ignition-only) workingā€¦.

Skipping to the resultā€¦. Unfortunately the interior fusebox on the 2024 Tacoma (TRD OR gas modelā€¦. Iā€™ll update after I confirm w/ a hybrid) is located under two plastic covers. Thereā€™s not enough clearance to put the plastic covers back on over a fuse holder (aka ā€˜add-a-circuitā€™ or ā€˜fuse tapsā€™). As such, you must modify the plastic cover, or simply keep them off. This is a huge bummer for anybody attempting to use a fuse-tap style hardwire kit or dashcam!!
Any space behind the fuse box? As in, if we 3d print different mounting brackets for the fuse box could we recess it enough to make room for a fuse-tap? The cover itself would not go back on, of course, but maybe we can get clearance for the dash panel.

Barring that, wonder if we could squeeze something like this in behind the dash panel.
Sponsored

Last edited: