Sponsored

Electrical uses/limits for Aux Switches/Inverter

TacoTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
There is interesting info in the user manual for those interested in using Aux Switches and Inverter for camper outfitting or other uses.

Owners manual

Aux Switches: Page 488
  • Aux only operates with ignition on and may turn off with low 12v battery voltage.
  • Connections are plugs with waterproof caps that are removed to be used with a Toyota accessary wiring harness pigtail (assumed parts Dept.)
  • Circuits: Diagram on page 489
    • AUX1 - 15amps
    • AUX2 - 10amps
    • AUX3 - 5amps
  • Diagram shows that AUX1-3 have wired all three circuits stubbed to these locations.
    • Under hood driver side front.
    • Driver seat kick panel.
  • There is also a 20amp wire run from under hood driver side front to the bed by the tailgate. This wire run looks like it can be plugged into the under hood driver side front to power. It also looks like if one wants to do a second battery under hood or other, they could use this wire run for that separate from AUX control. This wire run has a 20amp fuse under rear seat.
Inverter: Page 483
  • There seems to be some operational discrepancies between YouTube videos on the 400W features and the manual. Someone will have to test once they have a truck. It is notable that if start/stop is engaged (assuming non-hybrid) then the power will cut if the engine stops. (Expected)
Sponsored

Nixamantacoma

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outerbanks
Thanks for sharing this. I was looking for this information a few days ago. The salesman at the dealership did not know the answer to the location of the aux wiring.

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
FYI in case you missed it.

As stated in manual…

2024 Tacoma Electrical uses/limits for Aux Switches/Inverter 1705714293054

Last edited:

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
The hybrids will be sick for rapid recharge of carry-on power supplies, keeping the cooler running while en route and driving to & from job sites recharging tools. Engine needs to be running for the AC port to work, sounds like the 12v side of the bed might* run with the engine off but it's a coin flip if the halo rigs use the main truck battery for that or the NiMH pack.

This manual in particular looks like it's for the standard ICE engine only. There's no specifics outlined for the i-FORCE MAX (TH, PRO, OR).

The bed inverter (base engine 2.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder), has a maximum output capacity as follows:
  • While the vehicle is being driven, the maximum capacity of the power outlet is always 120 V AC/100 W.
  • When the vehicle is stationary, the maximum capacity is:
    • Restricted to 120 V AC/100 W when the shift lever is moved to any positions other than P (for automatic transmission) or N.
    • 120 V AC/400 W when the shift lever is in P (for automatic transmission) or N.
The 12V ports in the cab apparently do supply power w/engine off and they specify to avoid leaving electronics plugged in to avoid draining the battery. really? that's old school. nobody wants a dead battery from leaving something plugged in overnight accidentally.

None of the batteries (Type A, B, or C) mentioned in the owner's manual are specifically designed to be regularly depleted. So, basically, iForce standard engine ideally needs to be running at all times while drawing load unless you want to shorten the lifespan of your vehicle battery.

It remains to be seen, but The iForceMax MV1 Inverter|Converter & 1.87 kWh pack really needs to have some degree of latitude on the onboard electronics power source like bed lights & scene lighting (TH) for camping, & misc external low Wh electronics. IMO it's just not good engineering to hammer the main truck battery when you have 1.87kWh under the backseat that's designed to be cycled thousands of times. I saw a TH demo where the engine was off and they turned on all the lighting including the 20" light bar on the grille, so fingers crossed the NiMH supplies power for at least lighting w/engine off...

All things being equal, most of this manual will probably be a 1:1 spec for the iForceMax, there's a couple odd things I noticed. For example on the standard engine, the back seats fold 'up' if I'm not mistaken and on the hybrids the back seats fold down. on this manual, they're showing grocery hooks with a fold down config. So maybe all '24 production models backseats fold down now.

Last edited:

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
Any updates on these pre-wired aux switches? Following to see how creative minds put these to good use.
I was nearly set on Offroad 6mt but recently found out Sport + 6mt in Canada includes the 3 aux switches. Another tic in the Sport + column.
Thanks for digging up all that valuable information..dealerships had next to no idea.

Jojoedarte

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Accord
I’m with you on trying to see what they could actually be used for. I just installed ditch lights from RC and realized these switches are pretty limiting because they are only set up for such low amperage. I didn’t look like they will support the 30 amp light bar requirements.

svaughn76

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
I would've liked to have the Aux switches pre installed on my truck but I only took an allocation which didn't have one. Anyone know how I can obtain the cables and aux switches so I can install them in the factory locations. I looked on the accessories and parts page but was unable to locate the part number.

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
I would've liked to have the Aux switches pre installed on my truck but I only took an allocation which didn't have one. Anyone know how I can obtain the cables and aux switches so I can install them in the factory locations. I looked on the accessories and parts page but was unable to locate the part number.
In the same boat. I was looking around and noticed a few capped connectors in the engine bay and the rear. I couldn't tell if they were for the aux switches. The fuses for the aux switches aren't present where they live in the driver's side engine bay. I think it may be easier to add aftermarket aux switches and run all the wiring DIY instead of trying to integrate the factory equipment.
Sponsored