Sponsored

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma OR, '08 Mazda MX-5, '20 Volvo V60
anything like this that doesn't have a subscription?
I gladly paid the $10 for a month's access to be able to shut up the seatbelt chime and make other assorted changes. Compare that to going to the dealer and begging them to help you out. Good luck.

I did spring for a more expensive OBD reader though. The Carista unit is fairly limited in the software that it works with, as in it basically only plays well with the Carista app. That is fine if you only want to make changes to vehicles that Carista supports but in my case I also want to be able to make changes to my BMW motorcycle, which requires an app called Motoscan. Motoscan and the Carista hardware don't support each other. I ended up buying an OBDLink LX. Yup, it's even more expensive than the Carista unit but it works with almost any app, so I can use Carista to make changes to the Toyota and Motoscan for my BMW, etc... You can get cheaper units but most of them aren't using genuine chipsets and may or may not work with the different apps. You could try this one that claims to work with the Carista app and return it if it doesn't work.

To your point though, there are lots of apps that read codes and whatnot but I haven't found anything that allows you to make permanent changes for free, although some apps sell permanent access. Those apps charge something like $15 for each vehicle model they support though, which could get really expensive if you have multiple autos to tinker with. I think Carista's pricing is more than fair.
Sponsored

Clervis

First Name
Clervis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro
I gladly paid the $10 for a month's access to be able to shut up the seatbelt chime and make other assorted changes. Compare that to going to the dealer and begging them to help you out. Good luck.

I did spring for a more expensive OBD reader though. The Carista unit is fairly limited in the software that it works with, as in it basically only plays well with the Carista app. That is fine if you only want to make changes to vehicles that Carista supports but in my case I also want to be able to make changes to my BMW motorcycle, which requires an app called Motoscan. Motoscan and the Carista hardware don't support each other. I ended up buying an OBDLink LX. Yup, it's even more expensive than the Carista unit but it works with almost any app, so I can use Carista to make changes to the Toyota and Motoscan for my BMW, etc... You can get cheaper units but most of them aren't using genuine chipsets and may or may not work with the different apps. You could try this one that claims to work with the Carista app and return it if it doesn't work.

To your point though, there are lots of apps that read codes and whatnot but I haven't found anything that allows you to make permanent changes for free, although some apps sell permanent access. Those apps charge something like $15 for each vehicle model they support though, which could get really expensive if you have multiple autos to tinker with. I think Carista's pricing is more than fair.
Apparently you can get Android Auto apps that will work with OBD2 scanners like OBD2Link, and display real time diagnostics and metrics on that 14" bad boy.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
I turned of the driver side and passenger seat belt chime. I left the rear on though. Don't have rear seaters very often anymore.

Timster

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Any word on if this potentially affects warranty?

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road Premium

so are you saying that OBDLINK LX works with the Carista app and also can be used on other cars? I prefer something that works with ios but I guess I could use my android tablet. I would like something that can be used on the 2024 Tacoma and a 2004 Blazer

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma OR, '08 Mazda MX-5, '20 Volvo V60
so are you saying that OBDLINK LX works with the Carista app and also can be used on other cars? I prefer something that works with ios but I guess I could use my android tablet. I would like something that can be used on the 2024 Tacoma and a 2004 Blazer
Yes indeed, the OBDLINK LX works just fine with the Carista app. In addition to the Tacoma I've used it to check out our Volvo V60 although I haven't found an app that lets me make software changes (and maybe there aren't any...). I can definitely clear codes and see things like RPM's and whatnot though.

Tacomanoob

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Tacoma
When turning the seat belt warning off. Does the adaptive cruise control work? Also if you use carista app on OBDLINK do you still have to pay for the monthly subscription?

Thanks

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
When turning the seat belt warning off. Does the adaptive cruise control work?
To piggyback on this… are any of the nanny features customizable with this? For instance, can you increase time before you get a warning etc? Gracias.

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
When turning the seat belt warning off. Does the adaptive cruise control work? Also if you use carista app on OBDLINK do you still have to pay for the monthly subscription?

Thanks
I disabled mine the other day and have used adaptive cruise control multiple times since. No issues. Once you change any settings, the settings stay to what you set them to. No need to keep the subscription.

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
To piggyback on this… are any of the nanny features customizable with this? For instance, can you increase time before you get a warning etc? Gracias.
I did not see that option. There’s quite a few options you can change. From disabling the sound enhancement(no idea we had that) to programming your fob to long press and roll down all your windows.

Tacomanoob

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Tacoma
Does the programming go back to original state when power is taken off and would probably have to redo change?

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
As a footnote, it will be helpful to all 2024 Tacoma owners for this app if you send the company debug data to really help make all customization features current. You would insert the device into your Tacoma, load the More section (the gear icon in the bottom navigation bar), open the Debug menu, and select Collect debug data. I understand Carista occasionally (no guarantee) gives a period of free PRO monthly subscription in return for doing this for them.... they cover a lot of makes and models and this helps them stay current
Tried this yesterday and may save others some time by suggesting not to debug. Took about 15 minutes to complete the process. Received an email from them later in the day saying thanks but they weren't looking for any beta testers with the 24 Tacoma.

Updated a few settings though, very easy to use!

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
How about all of the sensor dings from sensors when off road? Can those be dialed back? Every video I have seen is a million sounds going off while these guys are in 4 low. Which is incredibly dumb to me.
Sponsored