ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Got this juicy letter in the mail:

2024 Tacoma Insurance company cancelled my 2024 Tacoma policy because I went to the UPS Store IMG_6539

Story time:

Insurance company called inquiring about how I own so many vehicles (5x vehicles, single, unmarried) and asking what I did for work. I mentioned I'm self-employed (more specifically I'm an employee of my own company) so they asked what I'd be doing with the truck.... I told them all my business is conducted by employees and the most I've ever used a truck for 'work' is going to the UPS store...

Lady says something like "NOT ALLOWED !!11"

to which I responded: "Ok so then I just won't do that... how do you think I've ran businesses without a truck??"

She wasn't having any of that: "TOO LATE YOU'VE ALREADY ADMITTED IT!!!"..

I then spent the next few minutes berating her... pointing out that if I've owned this company for years now, I could absolutely continue to run a business without a pickup truck and pointing out that trips to the UPS store are not nearly as risky as typical Tacoma owner stuff such as: moving furniture, transporting dirtbikes, overlanding, camping, driving up to Alaska, etc... She wasn't having it so I hung up.

Apparently American Family aka Ameriprise aka Costco Insurance doesn't even offer new policies in California or Florida anymore and the state hasn't allowed them to raise rates, hence them trying tooth and nail to find any excuse to boot existing customers from these states.... in fact they posted nearly $2b in losses last calendar year. Due to huge fire risks, earthquakes, and auto theft here, some insurance companies are even flying drones over backyards looking for excuses to cancel policies.

The moral of this story isn't news.... California is expensive and if your insurance company calls you with 'questions' tell them to kick rocks and that your truck is parked in the garage 24/7 and you work in telesales...
Sponsored

Oldmanstaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 v6 4wd tacoma
These insurance companies have some lazy idiots working for them. They recently threatened to canceled my home owners policy saying through their investigations the roof on my home had collapsed. I called them up telling them they were full of it, and asked who stated a ridiculous thing like that, while asking who's working for them. They said nothing, only that they had pictures from a drone showing my home in that condition. I asked to see the pics....they were not even in the same neighborhood. I disputed their findings. They told me to take some photos, and send it to them. I told them to get their agent over here if they want to take more photos. Well, they hung up on me, giving me 30 days, or they would cancel my policy. I wrote to better business here in the state after they black balled me to other insurance companies trying to get another quote. Didn't take long before the crap hit the fan after that. I got my insurance policy reinstated with the upmost apology from them.

Last edited:

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
Crazy... wow. California. A new truck should be free with the purchase of an insurance policy.

Aren't you entitled to privacy even as a privately ran business where & when you travel with your vehicles? You're signed up to be tracked for best possible rates? What if you're going to the UPS store to shoot the shit & hit on the girl behind the counter?WTF do they know. Being California, call up Handle on the The Law ask if you have grounds for a suit.

I'd find a way to get a mailbox & piece of dirt in Nevada, park a trailer on it, and switch those plates over. Not professional advice LOL

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Crazy... wow. California. A new truck should be free with the purchase of an insurance policy.

Aren't you entitled to privacy even as an operating business where & when you travel with your vehicles? You're signed up to be tracked for best possible rates? What if you're going to the UPS store to shoot the shit and hit on the girl behind the counter. WTF do they know. Being California, call up Handle on the The Law ask if you have grounds for a suit!
Unless you opt, your truck is tracking you too, FYI.

Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
I just opted out with Toyota

Spitfiredude

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Tacoma TRD PRO
If you are using your vehicle on a regular basis for any type of business use, you should likely tell your carrier to add a business endorsement. If it’s full on logo(ed) out or only used for business, it needs a c-auto. With that being said, carriers are looking any way to drop people in CA, TX, FL. They do not want business in that state due to reasons you already stated. You can thank your insurance commissioner for the pause on rates that has completely backfired on them due to claim issues. When full companies (State Farm, Am Fam, Nationwide, etc) pull out of your state… that’s not a good sign. With that being said, opt out in the app!!!!

GMak621

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD ØR
Turn this shit off in the Toyota app if you haven't already, because Toyota reports everything you do with your truck to your insurance. After turning it off, you should get a letter in the mail verifying that you turned it off.

IMG_2094.jpg
I turned off some of the stuff. Should I turn off “Connected Services Master Data Consent” and “Service Connect Communication“?

2024 Tacoma Insurance company cancelled my 2024 Tacoma policy because I went to the UPS Store IMG_8608

Sponsored

Tacomanoob

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Tacoma
Took me a while but finally found that on the phone. But mines only have connected services, drive pulse and service connect communications. Only has 3 options.

Last edited:

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
Got this juicy letter in the mail:

IMG_6539.png

Story time:

Insurance company called inquiring about how I own so many vehicles (5x vehicles, single, unmarried) and asking what I did for work. I mentioned I'm self-employed (more specifically I'm an employee of my own company) so they asked what I'd be doing with the truck.... I told them all my business is conducted by employees and the most I've ever used a truck for 'work' is going to the UPS store...

Lady says something like "NOT ALLOWED !!11"

to which I responded: "Ok so then I just won't do that... how do you think I've ran businesses without a truck??"

She wasn't having any of that: "TOO LATE YOU'VE ALREADY ADMITTED IT!!!"..

I then spent the next few minutes berating her... pointing out that if I've owned this company for years now, I could absolutely continue to run a business without a pickup truck and pointing out that trips to the UPS store are not nearly as risky as typical Tacoma owner stuff such as: moving furniture, transporting dirtbikes, overlanding, camping, driving up to Alaska, etc... She wasn't having it so I hung up.

Apparently American Family aka Ameriprise aka Costco Insurance doesn't even offer new policies in California or Florida anymore and the state hasn't allowed them to raise rates, hence them trying tooth and nail to find any excuse to boot existing customers from these states.... in fact they posted nearly $2b in losses last calendar year. Due to huge fire risks, earthquakes, and auto theft here, some insurance companies are even flying drones over backyards looking for excuses to cancel policies.

The moral of this story isn't news.... California is expensive and if your insurance company calls you with 'questions' tell them to kick rocks and that your truck is parked in the garage 24/7 and you work in telesales...
I'm guessing California has some kind of a department of insurance that oversees all insurance regulation in the state. They usually allow for customer complaints or challenges to claims etc.

I went that route in NJ over a denied health insurance claim and it was resolved in my favor in like 24 hours. This was after 1 year of dealing with the hospital and insurance to sort it out. Obviously not the same but it could be helpful.

Zanez

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD off road
Turn this shit off in the Toyota app if you haven't already, because Toyota reports everything you do with your truck to your insurance. After turning it off, you should get a letter in the mail verifying that you turned it off.

IMG_2094.jpg
This is unbelievable! Thanks for the heads up!

Clay is the Way

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR

IMG_2094.jpg
I tried to opt out of only the drive pulse and insure connect, but the only option I had on my phone was to opt out of all three. Not sure how you were able to have choices.
Sponsored