M/T Whine 6th Gear

dshargs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
Has anyone with a manual noticed whining noise when applying throttle while at speed in 6th? Almost sounds like the turbo but a different pitch (and doesn’t match up with the boost gauge). Will ask dealer at first service but trying to figure out if it’s normal.
Sponsored

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Does it sound like a tea kettle?

The 4th gen is using the RC60F, which is from the Aisin RC family, similar to the RC62F in the 3rd gen. In stock form, the 3rd gen doesn't make any noise until around 90-95mph or so. I regeared my truck and immediately noticed the noise at 70, because I'm not on large tires and so I lowered the speed at which the noise starts. Happens in 5th and 6th for me, because those are the gears spinning the quickest at the highest load. Mine also only happens under load, if you let off the throttle it stops. If you go to 4th and apply throttle, it is not there ever, same for all the underdrive gears.

It's something to do with the OD gears and high speed, and sounds like the 4th gen has the same issue. Which isn't really an issue, but can be annoying until you're used to it. At first, since mine came on with the regear, I was quite concerned. But it's harmless and 30K later, things are exactly as they were that day.

With the 3rd gen it's rarely mentioned because most stay on stock gears or if they regear, they are only regearing back to a stock equivalent ratio, so at normal speeds there is still no noise.

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
Is this different from the rear differential howl?

OP
OP

dshargs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
Is this different from the rear differential howl?
Not sure - I’ve never heard the howl. I’ll look for some videos of it.

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Not sure - I’ve never heard the howl. I’ll look for some videos of it.
If the noise is what I think it is, it's way different than diff howl.

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Yesterday while driving in 5th gear i truned 4H on . Screen showed its locked but every time pressed gas there was wiered noise . So i went back to 2h . Then after a while i stopped and again changed to 4h . Then it was fine

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Thanks. I found this video on YouTube - not my truck by the exact same noise.
Is it only in 5th and 6th? For sure goes away in 4th?

The guy says diff howl on the video but he may not be interpreting that right either. If it changes based on what gear you're in then it's definitely trans related.

OP
OP

dshargs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
Is it only in 5th and 6th? For sure goes away in 4th?

The guy says diff howl on the video but he may not be interpreting that right either. If it changes based on what gear you're in then it's definitely trans related.
Yeah - doesn't happen in 4th, and I don't think really 5th. Mostly just 6th

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Probably the same/similar noise that the RC62F gets when it's spinning quickly. Mine seems a bit higher pitch in the 3rd gen but different gear tooth counts, tire size, and diff gears, so that could make sense. Mine for sure does it in both 5th and 6th. It is the worst in 6th for sure. 100% silent in 4th.

You might find noise in 5th if you kicked the speed up some. Not sure.

I'll try to remember to video mine when I'm headed home today and see if I can share what it sounds like. It sounds like a tea kettle, or a ringing noise.

First Name
Another
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2001
You should here my 2nd Gen Dodge ram! That thing is an orchestra in every gear. I could barely make out what the sound was from that video, but if it was me I wouldn't worry about it at all.

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Here, see if this sounds like what you hear. Use good headphones to hear it. I am in 6th, then 5th, then 4th. You can tell it completely goes away in 4th, and is there in both 5/6. The noise coming and going while staying in one gear is me letting off the throttle and reapplying.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ecr5eckFVxzGDPrgB1Y5T80A

If the noise goes away in 4th then it isn’t the diff.

OP
OP

dshargs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
That's my video. My truck is currently at the dealership getting a new differential.
Interesting, thanks (and small world!). Is the dealer able to get their hands on a new diff pretty easily? Seems like parts have been hard to come by for the 24s....

OP
OP

dshargs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
Here, see if this sounds like what you hear. Use good headphones to hear it. I am in 6th, then 5th, then 4th. You can tell it completely goes away in 4th, and is there in both 5/6. The noise coming and going while staying in one gear is me letting off the throttle and reapplying.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ecr5eckFVxzGDPrgB1Y5T80A

If the noise goes away in 4th then it isn’t the diff.
Thanks. Definitely doesn't do it in 4th, but also the noise seems the same between the video you posted (which I appreciate) and the one I found on youtube who's getting his replaced. I'll just keep an eye on it.
Sponsored