Sponsored

Manual vs Auto - Has anyone test drove both?

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to buy a 4th Gen taco soon.
I am a big manual transmission enthusiast. I’ve only ever owned manual cars but I’m on the fence about this new Tacoma.

I am leaning towards the manual but still would consider an auto.

Has anyone test drove both? What are your thoughts?
Manual owners, persuade me to stick with my gut and just buy the manual.

I would appreciate your opinions!
Sponsored

dshargs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
I test drove the automatic, although only for a short drive. Bought the manual and have no regrets -- love it.

OP
OP
Tacocho

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I test drove the automatic, although only for a short drive. Bought the manual and have no regrets -- love it.
I’m on the same boat. I test drove a couple automatics but won’t have the opportunity to test drive a manual since they always get allocated before landing.

do you notice any power difference between the auto and manual (as a result of different tuning/gearing)?

dshargs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
I’m on the same boat. I test drove a couple automatics but won’t have the opportunity to test drive a manual since they always get allocated before landing.

do you notice any power difference between the auto and manual (as a result of different tuning/gearing)?
I didn't drive the automatic long enough to notice, although I do know the manual is slightly less horsepower because of a lower redline or something, but for day to day driving the manual has been great. If you enjoy having a manual I would go for it -- could be one of the last chances to buy a new m/t truck in the US.

OP
OP
Tacocho

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't drive the automatic long enough to notice, although I do know the manual is slightly less horsepower because of a lower redline or something, but for day to day driving the manual has been great. If you enjoy having a manual I would go for it -- could be one of the last chances to buy a new m/t truck in the US.
Agreed. I bet the 8 Hp difference is negligible due to less drivetrain loss in the MT.

I was just more curious about peak torque occurring at 1700 rpm for the auto and 2800 rpm for the manual. Did you feel this difference at all?

dshargs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
Agreed. I bet the 8 Hp difference is negligible due to less drivetrain loss in the MT.

I was just more curious about peak torque occurring at 1700 rpm for the auto and 2800 rpm for the manual. Did you feel this difference at all?
No - but again, my auto test drive was very short, in pouring rain.

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
All i can say is if u choose manual u have to have patience in starting . This manual is not like other manuals .. it take time to get use to 1-2 second gear . Clutch bite point is very high .. first day when i got my truck . I stalled it 3 times . Other time i got confused that its already in 1 gear but it wasn't .. more i am driving now its getting smooth . But in starting it was little frustrating .. 1-2 gears are very small and when u are at red light and it turns green u have to rev it high to quickly go into 3 rd gear so u can get some speed

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
And manual trims they dont have sound deadening . So u will hear every thing in truck from engaging clutch to shifting gears

OP
OP
Tacocho

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And manual trims they dont have sound deadening . So u will hear every thing in truck from engaging clutch to shifting gears
Thanks for the review. I would say this is a positive for me.

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Haven't driven either, so can't speak to a direct comparison. I certainly want to though. One thing is for certain, there have been many vehicles where the masses say "this one you should just get the auto, the auto is so good." Jeep is a good example of that. And I'll give them credit, Jeep didn't do a good job on the latest manuals. However, after driving both of those, I'd still prefer the manual. I have yet to find a vehicle where the auto is actually better in my eyes. Autos are just so boring. Even if it doesn't gear hunt, even if it doesn't feel slow, in a normal daily driven vehicle, automatics are just completely disengaging and boring. Many people want that, but some don't, regardless of how "good" the auto may be at doing what it does.

Considering the ratios on this new transmission make sense, and it comes from a reliable design from the previous gen transmission, I have no doubts about what I'd get without even test driving. And I do plan to get one in a few years when the 3G is paid off and finances are ready to handle another truck. In the mean time I will envy anyone who has one and will be hopeful to find someone who will let me drive theirs or a see if a dealer has one on the lot that I can test drive. I plan to keep the 3G since as manuals become less available, I want to keep as many of them as I can. I bought one automatic and I hope I don't ever buy one again.

OP
OP
Tacocho

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haven't driven either, so can't speak to a direct comparison. I certainly want to though. One thing is for certain, there have been many vehicles where the masses say "this one you should just get the auto, the auto is so good." Jeep is a good example of that. And I'll give them credit, Jeep didn't do a good job on the latest manuals. However, after driving both of those, I'd still prefer the manual. I have yet to find a vehicle where the auto is actually better in my eyes. Autos are just so boring. Even if it doesn't gear hunt, even if it doesn't feel slow, in a normal daily driven vehicle, automatics are just completely disengaging and boring. Many people want that, but some don't, regardless of how "good" the auto may be at doing what it does.

Considering the ratios on this new transmission make sense, and it comes from a reliable design from the previous gen transmission, I have no doubts about what I'd get without even test driving. And I do plan to get one in a few years when the 3G is paid off and finances are ready to handle another truck. In the mean time I will envy anyone who has one and will be hopeful to find someone who will let me drive theirs or a see if a dealer has one on the lot that I can test drive. I plan to keep the 3G since as manuals become less available, I want to keep as many of them as I can. I bought one automatic and I hope I don't ever buy one again.
I agree with you. Autos can be boring. Most people I’ve seen on here enjoy their manuals so I’ll probably just buy it without the test drive.
Sponsored