Towing with 2024 Tacoma 4th gen ??

larrymarket

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 VW GTI Autobahn 6-spd
Hi all. As the new Taco uses coil springs on the TRD Pro and Trailhunter models (I'm highly leaning towards getting a TRD Pro), is there any concern with regards to towing? I plan on getting a Nitro Z19 19'4" fiberglass bass boat and according to Nitro.com the average total towing package weight is around 3500lbs (idk if that's just with the single axle trailer, but assuming it is, I'm guessing it's a couple hundred lbs more for the tandem axle trailer which I plan to opt for, so say around 4000lbs towing weight). Everyone on this facebook bass fishing group I follow all recommend getting a full size because the sheer difference in vehicle mass/stronger frame/better brakes and more robust transmission will make towing a lot safer and efficient versus trying to tow with a midsize like the Taco. But I really prefer having the slightly smaller vehicle, and if I absolutely do not have to get a 1/2 ton to tow my future Z19, I don't want to.

Do you guys think the new Taco can handle this boat, or should I really look at getting a full size?
Sponsored

JakeJoeBob

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
4000lbs is absolutely within even the current gen Taco towing capacity. I used to tow a 19ft travel trailer with my 4th gen v8 4runner and it handled it like a champ. The New Taco has lots of torque and strong frame fully boxed frame (very similar to the Tundra’s frame), should work great.

lutey

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 Prime, Nissan GT-R, 1994 Ford Mustang
Hi all. As the new Taco uses coil springs on the TRD Pro and Trailhunter models (I'm highly leaning towards getting a TRD Pro), is there any concern with regards to towing? I plan on getting a Nitro Z19 19'4" fiberglass bass boat and according to Nitro.com the average total towing package weight is around 3500lbs (idk if that's just with the single axle trailer, but assuming it is, I'm guessing it's a couple hundred lbs more for the tandem axle trailer which I plan to opt for, so say around 4000lbs towing weight). Everyone on this facebook bass fishing group I follow all recommend getting a full size because the sheer difference in vehicle mass/stronger frame/better brakes and more robust transmission will make towing a lot safer and efficient versus trying to tow with a midsize like the Taco. But I really prefer having the slightly smaller vehicle, and if I absolutely do not have to get a 1/2 ton to tow my future Z19, I don't want to.

Do you guys think the new Taco can handle this boat, or should I really look at getting a full size?
This will be my first truck. But the towing capacity will be 6K. I'd say you're very safe with anything under 5K. Especially with the extra torque from the turbo and hybrid drivetrane.

kweevuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 6MT OR
Not a great response here for experience, but this is going to be my first truck and I plan on towing a 91 Miata to track days. So a light car, I’m estimating with trailer around 4-4500k. I think what you have to watch out for is payload with the tongue weight.

if you load up 5 people, and tons of gear, well you may be over the payload along with the trailer. Otherwise you are fine, and I’m sure it’s capable. But going full size with proper towing packages is where that payload starts to increase a lot (and of course towing capacity) but you have to watch because some models aren’t speced much higher at all.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
For some peace of mind: the SAE standard that manufacturers use to determine the rating includes the following tests (that I can remember - I may be missing some):
1) Minimum acceleration requirements
2) Minimum braking requirements (without trailer brakes - the vehicle has to be able to safely stop the trailer in the event the trailer brakes fail)
3) Park brake hold testing (facing down a hill and then up a hill)
4) Handling tests - I think it's something like 0.4g skidpad, the truck cannot oversteer as that would indicate the trailer is steering the truck
5) Cooling system performance - On a very hot day on a very specific road with a lot of incline, the truck has to pull the trailer at a minimum speed for the full distance and not generate any temperature warnings.

So if the truck says it'll pull 6000lbs, it can do so very safely. As pointed out above, keep an eye on your tongue weight, and be sure not to load your truck so much that you exceed the GCWR with the trailer connected.

Sponsored

Windsor

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Unless you are buying the expensive trim with the sunroof there is no easy way to add a brake controller to the 2024 Tacoma without cutting and splicing wires . --Don't let the salesman tell you otherwise . I got jerked around for a month before I got fed up and traded my 2024 for a low mileage 2023 .

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
Unless you are buying the expensive trim with the sunroof there is no easy way to add a brake controller to the 2024 Tacoma without cutting and splicing wires . --Don't let the salesman tell you otherwise . I got jerked around for a month before I got fed up and traded my 2024 for a low mileage 2023 .
So you're the one that traded in a low mileage 2024 (mentioned on another thread). Was wondering why.

Windsor

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
There were a few things about the 2024 that I liked and were improvements , but overall I preffered the 3rd gen . I've owned 5 Tacomas since 2003 . The 2024 certainly had more pep with the turbo , and the 4 wheel disc brakes were excellent , NOt sure how long a turbo engine lasts as compared to the bulletproof V6 ? ----on the negative side , I found the scrolling through menus on the dash to do something simple like set the trip odometer harder than pushing the button . Android auto is great , but I do a lot of driving in areas with no cell data , or if I cross the border I usually turn my data off so if I want a gps map on the dash without using data from the phone I have to pay Toyota $20/month for that service on the 24 . My $2000 worth of snow tires and rims from my previous truck fit the 2023 , my $200 wheather tec floor mats fit .
For me the biggest piss off was the salesman promising me before I handed over the check that my $350 redarc brake controller would fit no problem . ---His boss even said " Toyota would not sell a vehicle with that towing capacity with no way to plug in a brake controller " --- I bought the truck primarily to tow 3 trailers with electric brakes , and kept getting the run around , and ran out of time before I needed to safely tow a trailer . The dealer even sent me to Action truck and said they'd pay for the brake controller instal . --- After taking the morning off work and wasting a bunch of time ,Action truck was stumped . The blue tooth controller got mentioned , but if your blue tooth is running the brakes , then no google maps or hands free phone . I might revisit the 4 th gen in a couple of years , but I decided that I'm not going to pay that kind of money to be be a beta tester for Toyota . And I'm definitely not paying that kind of money to have to splice wires to safely tow what they tell me I can tow

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
Go watch the TFL youtube videos of the Tacoma towing. They will put your mind at ease. The biggest thing they do is the Ike Gauntlet which is way harder than anything you will ever put it through. They compared it to a Colorado. In the vid they did not mention this, but watching it you can see the Colorado engine tempt was getting really close to redline during the climb. The Tacoma however was cool as a cucumber.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
It'll handle it, but if you're going to be towing on regular I'd recommend full-sized.

My buddy pulls his 4500lbs camper in his second gen every so often and although it handles it like a champ, he can barely make it 2h out of town before the gas light is on.

I have a camper too and if I ever plan on towing it often it won't be with a mid sized, I like my wallet full lol.

Sponsored

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
It'll handle it, but if you're going to be towing on regular I'd recommend full-sized.

My buddy pulls his 4500lbs camper in his second gen every so often and although it handles it like a champ, he can barely make it 2h out of town before the gas light is on.

I have a camper too and if I ever plan on towing it often it won't be with a mid sized, I like my wallet full lol.
Full size trucks do not get better MPG towing. That is a myth. Yes, you will get better range, but the Tacoma should not be that bad. Keep the speed reasonable and you will probably get around 200 miles.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Full size trucks do not get better MPG towing. That is a myth. Yes, you will get better range, but the Tacoma should not be that bad. Keep the speed reasonable and you will probably get around 200 miles.

Just spitting out what's been fed to me, got a few buddies with some HD trucks and they don't notice much of a change in MPG, meanwhile my buddy was phoning me in his 2nd gen a couple months ago telling me there's a fair chance I'll have to meet with with a Jerry can just trying to tow his trailer between gas stations 2 hours away lol
Sponsored