Sponsored

Which 2024 Tacoma trim do you plan to purchase?

• Total voters

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I had considered that application but with the liftgate being aluminum pulling it up manually doesn't seem too much of a hassle. A manual liftgate might also allow tighter seals to be fitted to keep out dust, videos seem to show quite a large gap around the gate currently. The anti-pinch sensors on the electric gate might inhibit better sealing. All just my speculation of course.
i also plan to put a camper and I am concerned with this as well.
My main concern is payload though. I am not one of those overlanders who puts 2000 lbs of gear and steel on a 1000 lbs payload vehicle and drive illegally.
Sponsored

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TRD Pro
TRD Pro hybrid to replace my 2019.

I'm guessing around $60k because of the hybrid drivetrain and air suspension seats.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TRD Pro
i think after the sport its going hefty price. i think sport will be 40-43k PRO 45-49k trail hunter 51-53 . The hybrid wont be cheap
I think you are way too low on pricing. The Pro and Trailhunter will be close to $60k

Cavemold

First Name
Cavemold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
I think you are way too low on pricing. The Pro and Trailhunter will be close to $60k
the raptor topping out at 56k but i guess you could make the argument the hybrid engine will really push mpg and power to justify that 60k price tag

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
i also plan to put a camper and I am concerned with this as well.
My main concern is payload though. I am not one of those overlanders who puts 2000 lbs of gear and steel on a 1000 lbs payload vehicle and drive illegally.
Payload is important to me too. The various wedge campers that clamp to the top of the bed seem to be around a 250-350lbs range for what I'm interested in, but even at that relatively low weight and driving solo, available payload can disappear fast if not paying attention.

I do wonder what payload the Trailhunter will start at. I noticed the Colorado ZR2 driven by Andre from TFL on a recent PR overland drive was down around 1050lbs IIRC 1150lbs on the door-frame plate. I hope Trailhunter is significantly above that. If not then The fall back option would be the Off Road, and carefully build from that.

Edit: Corrected ZR2 payload, thanks tacotac.

Last edited:

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Payload is important to me too. The various wedge campers that clamp to the top of the bed seem to be around a 250-350lbs range for what I'm interested in, but even at that relatively low weight and driving solo, available payload can disappear fast if not paying attention.

I do wonder what payload the Trailhunter will start at. I noticed the Colorado ZR2 driven by Andre from TFL on a recent PR overland drive was down around 1050lbs IIRC on the door-frame plate. I hope Trailhunter is significantly above that. If not then The fall back option would be the Off Road, and carefully build from that.
I bet the trailhunter will have higher GVWR than the TRD off-road. So once you build on it you will have less payload available. In fact, the ZR2 door sticker in the video is 1150, which is still too low.
the door sticker on a fully loaded raptor ranger is 1350 lbs.
In a video interview of the chief engineer of the Tacoma he said « with all the weight we have added on the trailhunter don’t expect payload number to go up ». Bad sign.

let’s see. If the payloads is really bad (sub 1200) I will probably get a raptor.

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
I bet the trailhunter will have higher GVWR than the TRD off-road. So once you build on it you will have less payload available. In fact, the ZR2 door sticker in the video is 1150, which is still too low.
the door sticker on a fully loaded raptor ranger is 1350 lbs.
In a video interview of the chief engineer of the Tacoma he said « with all the weight we have added on the trailhunter don’t expect payload number to go up ». Bad sign.

let’s see. If the payloads is really bad (sub 1200) I will probably get a raptor.
Yes a potentially lower GVWR for the Off Road was something I was keeping in the back of my mind. Raptor just seems the wrong truck for what I want to do. I'm wondering what mpg would be, even driven conservatively, and what that would do to range even with the 1.5 gallon larger tank.

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Yes a potentially lower GVWR for the Off Road was something I was keeping in the back of my mind. Raptor just seems the wrong truck for what I want to do. I'm wondering what mpg would be, even driven conservatively, and what that would do to range even with the 1.5 gallon larger tank.
A ranger Raptor is very similar to a trail hunter: 2.5in shocks, 33in tires and off-road focused features.
my only gripe with it is the 400HP V6 which I don’t need and I agree will get bad MPG. Just like you I will put a 350lbs camper though so I would rather have worst mpg than have 1000 lbs payload.

My current Bronco is a fully loaded badlands with only 980 lbs payload. With a super light RTT (105lbs) I reach max GVWR with 2 people total and food/water/gear. Thus, I need a bare minimum of 1250 lbs payload On a pickup to account for the extra weight of the camper. 1400 would be more reasonable. 1500+ would be perfect.

Flyfish007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Explorer St
I voted Limted but may have to go TRD OR or Sport if they have ventilated seats.
Same here. If they offer ventilated seats on the Sport I'll probably get that. If not Limited (hopefully they offer a black package)

joewitafro

First Name
joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 honda civic 1.5l turbo, 95 lexus sc300 turbo
I really wish Toyota would put out the configurator and more information on the TRD OR. I would like to be able to get the larger 14" screen; sway bar disconnect, trailer control and rear locker without having to get some of the upgraded options I don't need or want; like the roof and bed rack or bumpers/sliders/snorkel. Also do y'all think the trim pieces that are colored will be easy to swap out?

Looking at the upgraded interior packages vs the lower trims, I notice the 14" has the volume knob between the air vents; and also the dual zone climtae control. I really like that all the trims include the pocket above the glove box, this is typically un-used area that adds a ton of passenger storage for road trips (Cell phone, wallet, keys, map). Upgraded trim also has the heated and cooled seat buttons in the climate control, and on the left side has the option for heated steering wheel (Not really a fan of this; but being an upgraded option is a good thing).
2024 Tacoma Which 2024 Tacoma trim do you plan to buy? TAC_MY24_0019_V001_r03IswlMTN_Ku55jdUnudgT80bii7QF5zdq47TY2B

2024 Tacoma Which 2024 Tacoma trim do you plan to buy? 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-prerunner-103-6463cca823ddc

Tacomel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra and 4Runner
Undecided between the trail hunter and off-road. It will depend on how I can option it and cost - pros and cons both directions. Either way I want the double cab with 6 foot bed. My biggest worry is the room in the backseat. I replaced my Tacoma with a tundra (2 kids) and the roominess in the Tundra crewmax cab will be pretty hard to give up.

NorthOf54

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Nissan Xterra
Undecided between the trail hunter and off-road. It will depend on how I can option it and cost - pros and cons both directions. Either way I want the double cab with 6 foot bed. My biggest worry is the room in the backseat. I replaced my Tacoma with a tundra (2 kids) and the roominess in the Tundra crewmax cab will be pretty hard to give up.
I just watched the TFL comparison between the Gen 3 / Gen 4. It looks like the back seat is a bit more spacious than the Gen 3, which is great. Though I would suspect the Tundra would be a more comfortable interior for a family.

Macjr67

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond Sasquatch
I’ve only owned TRD off-road double cabs. As an avid outdoorsman/fly fisherman I want the new xtra cab. The rear storage is a nice feature, the ability to keep a cooler, fly reels and hear in lockable tub, rod tubes and longer items in the fold down storage area is a win/win for me…

my perfect build will be an Sr5 4X4 w a rear locker. I’m hoping rear locker will be an add on (it should be) since it’s already going to be standard on the Prerunner.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Manaul TRD Offroad. The TRD pro originally sold me. I wanted a truck for quite some time but had no intentions of trading in my Camry SE because I absolutely have a soul tie to that car, even the lack of power but I've been feening for a manual for years, had a growing need for a truck. The release won me over I never cared much for tacomas in the past but the new gen with the new tech look absolutely amazing. I was dissapointed to hear for a bit that the TRD pro wasn't coming in a manual and that originally cut the deal for me but then I convinced myself that if I buy the OR I can get the lift from dealer, spacers are easy to get, and even the two tone wrap if I really care enough. The seats ain't a worry to me.

Now im super excited, and I've been working every second of OT possible it's going to be heartbreaking to give away my camry but I see big things coming with this tacoma and I'm quite literally counting the days. #1 in line for the dealer!! Here's to hoping the 6 speed I asked for comes with the upgrade package or ill be waiting another fair bit past spring.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Good luck with that...the Toyota cartels say otherwise. Find your dealer and get on their list so when they get an allocation you can get first dibs.
I second this, I'm #1 for the gas model and they're giving me a time frame of next spring. If you want your 2024 tacoma in 2024 than book now in 2023 lol

The Tundras are a great example of this. I'm only now seeing my neighbors pull up in their new 2023 tundras. Never even knew that body style existed until a week ago
Sponsored