- First Name
- James
- Joined
- May 23, 2024
- Threads
- 4
- Messages
- 2,377
- Reaction score
- 3,076
- Location
- Crozet, Virginia
- Vehicle(s)
- 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro, 2023 Lexus RZ450e
I agree! I said that I wouldn't buy a hybrid before I realized that some non-hybrid Toyotas have the same problem with charging their batteries. Some people think it might be related to improving Toyota's CAFE numbers. I love the hybrid drivetrain and since the charging problem exists for non-hybrids also, I would definitely get another hybrid.I'm the opposite...I don't think I'll ever buy a non-hybrid!
My issue with the charging is that the problem is not just with short drives. No matter how much I drive my truck the 12V always settles to 12.1-12.2 volts resting state of charge. I can make a round trip of 200-300 miles and it will still be at 12.2 volts or lower. That is around 50% charged and will kill a battery that is not deep discharge capable. That level is 15 minutes after shutting the truck off, and then with all of the parasitic drains it will get low enough to not even turn on if it sits for very long.
I charge mine with a maintainer, so I know that the battery can be fully charged. If I do that for a few days every week it settles in at around 12.5 volts. A deep discharge battery should fix that problem, although my wife's battery electric SUV's 12 volt discharges to the point where the car won't even turn on unless I put it on my maintainer from time to time.
Since some trucks seem to keep their batteries charged to a higher level, so I think something is wrong with my truck. But the dealers just tune you out when you ask about battery charging and say buy a trickle charger. They should at least update their BS to tell us to buy a maintainer. lol
Sponsored