Sponsored

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
I wouldn't hold your breath. It's my understanding the batteries only help with Inital takeoff to combat the turbo lag don't they?

I have a buddy who owns a 2023 Tundra and he said he doesn't notice much a difference with the batteries at all.
speaks the truth ⬆ …the hybrids are gonna produce more HP for the halo grades, it’s supplemental. A little quicker. I’m interested in mountain passes/hill climbs with that electric 48hp.

An iForceMax with an air dam and sport tires will see improved city MPG vs the iForce. But I’m still in line for a 6’ bed TH at the moment and those off-road tires & lift will increase drag coefficient - even with the hybrid motor.

AND THEN say they [Toyota engineering] really get creative with drive modes where the battery can pull duty while off-roading …need to consider what your inverter AC loads are from the previous night, i.e., you could potentially be rocking the equivalent of an IForce engine while overlanding for the first 1-3hrs everyday while the pack recharges. 1.87Kwh is decent for running your camp gear but for winter you’ll need another 1-2kwh overnight IMO. I just bought a Yoshino solid state battery power station @ ~1.3Kwh, thing weighs only 30lbs super compact, accepts up to 600w solar input…basically the iForce Max battery pack is kinda meh net-net. Just as long as the MPG is better than the GMC ATX4 @ 16/16mpg, you don’t have a lot of room to complain if you have a trail rig that can get ~20 highway.

Obviously all these numbers are dry weight. Trucks are meant for hauling payloads. Expect to get under 20mpg unless you’re in the cohort that drive around w/empty beds, and a lot apparently do by evidence of these automakers implementing these stupid cab spoilers (Oh, you can bend metal to create a snazzy spoiler bump!? 👍🏽 Kewl, I’m stacking a GFC on the bed, a lot of aero-good that’ll do me smh)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tacosyeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
The drive strategy is likely way different between the grand highlander and Tacoma. I think a better comparison is the Tundra where you get an additional 2MPG city and nothing on the highway.
Hence why I also included the Land Cruiser with the same engine and transmission that produces the same numbers as the Tacoma.

I should note that the LC numbers were never taken off the Canadian Toyota site either, so they are definitely official. I expect 26 to 27 mpg combined from the Tacoma.

mramseyisu

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Hence why I also included the Land Cruiser with the same engine and transmission that produces the same numbers as the Tacoma.

I should note that the LC numbers were never taken off the Canadian Toyota site either, so they are definitely official. I expect 26 to 27 mpg combined from the Tacoma.
I don't think the Land Cruiser is all that relevant. I've heard from the head Tacoma engineer in several of these videos say that they're more concerned about torque than fuel economy in their trucks. Seems to me like Toyota has different priorities between their trucks and SUVs.

Last edited:

Tacosyeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
I don't think the Land Cruiser is all that relevant. I've heard from the head Tacoma engineer in several of these videos say that they're more concerned about torque than fuel economy in their trucks. Seems to me like Toyota has different priorities between their trucks and SUVs.
The new LC and Tacoma (Hybrid Max) have the same engine, HP, and torque - 326 HP and 465 lb ft. I'm not sure what you're getting at. The comparison is definitely relevant.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Sorry, what?

The engine is the exact same engine as the Land Cruiser. The LC is not tuned for MPG either. Neither is the Sequoia.

It is tuned for power, not MPG. This has been explained ad nauseam. Anyone still looking for high MPG numbers from the MAX either doesn't understand that hybrid doesnt always equal MPG or they are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

The Corvette ERay is a hybrid. It does not get 40mpg.

mramseyisu

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
The new LC and Tacoma (Hybrid Max) have the same engine, HP, and torque - 326 HP and 465 lb ft. I'm not sure what you're getting at. The comparison is definitely relevant.
I work with drive strategy guys all the time in my day job doing vehicle level energy management for off road and have been really getting into the weeds on this lately with a BEV program. Just because two vehicles share a drivetrain doesn't mean the way the torque is applied is the same because they're considered two different applications. Granted a hybrid vehicle is different than a BEV like I've been dealing with for the past year or so but how fast you allow the torque to be applied will greatly impact energy efficiency. My educated guess on a hybrid drivetrain is that Toyota is looking at the uses for the vehicle (a truck and SUV have very different load files they're looking at) and they are determining when the electric motor kicks in, how hard it kicks in and when it shuts off. It also matters if the electric motor is on transmission input or output. On the trucks Toyota put the electric motor on the transmission output which is better for transferring torque to the wheel, on the SUV's they put it on the transmission input which make the engine more efficient.

Tacosyeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
I work with drive strategy guys all the time in my day job doing vehicle level energy management for off road and have been really getting into the weeds on this lately with a BEV program. Just because two vehicles share a drivetrain doesn't mean the way the torque is applied is the same because they're considered two different applications. Granted a hybrid vehicle is different than a BEV like I've been dealing with for the past year or so but how fast you allow the torque to be applied will greatly impact energy efficiency. My educated guess on a hybrid drivetrain is that Toyota is looking at the uses for the vehicle (a truck and SUV have very different load files they're looking at) and they are determining when the electric motor kicks in, how hard it kicks in and when it shuts off. It also matters if the electric motor is on transmission input or output. On the trucks Toyota put the electric motor on the transmission output which is better for transferring torque to the wheel, on the SUV's they put it on the transmission input which make the engine more efficient.
If you say so. The applications are nearly identical when you dive into towing, etc. From a manufacturing perspective, it makes more sense to share the entire drivetrain between the two, specifically the Limited Tacoma and Land Cruiser. The LC isn't exactly efficient either, so again, not sure what you're getting at. It's pretty reasonable to expect similar numbers between the two.

mramseyisu

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
If you say so. The applications are nearly identical when you dive into towing, etc. From a manufacturing perspective, it makes more sense to share the entire drivetrain between the two, specifically the Limited Tacoma and Land Cruiser. The LC isn't exactly efficient either, so again, not sure what you're getting at. It's pretty reasonable to expect similar numbers between the two.
The TLDR of that is just because they have the same hardware doesn't mean they have the same software. The software will have a massive impact in efficiency.

cgalloni

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Manual
so basically same MPG as I get now in my TRD offroad now. what is the point?

Ranger_5G

First Name
Dood_Bruh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '24 BMW IX Electric
And keep in mind, these #'s are with this monstrosity installed. And life hack.. if ya want a easy painfree removal, just drive the truck into any parking lot with a divider, pull back and it should be removed automatically ;).
2024 Tacoma 2024 Tacoma MPG Fuel Economy Per Trim (2.4L iForce Engine) Screenshot 2023-11-29 123457

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I wouldn't hold your breath. It's my understanding the batteries only help with Inital takeoff to combat the turbo lag don't they?

I have a buddy who owns a 2023 Tundra and he said he doesn't notice much a difference with the batteries at all.
The tundra is also an entirely different vehicle that is much heavier.

You absolutely will feel 465 lb/ft torque in a vehicle that is a good bit lighter. I'm quite confident the thing will fly.

Desert4G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Toyota could have gave the Taco a 20+ gallon tank atleast with these crappy "estimated" MPG's.

Jstryker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 24
Was all excited about this truck. Now I'm totally let down. Figured the hybrid models will only increase MPG by probably 5mpg. If you compare it with say the RAV4 that goes up 4pmg for the hybrid model from the standard. So I'm out. I'll find something different.
Agreed. I'm just gonna get an older one and wait until they get with the program and develop some meaningful new hybrid tech.
Sponsored