Sponsored

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
I kinda doubt it would automatically turn on when it gets low. Image it turning on in someone's garage and filling it with carbon monoxide... I bet it would cut power off if it got below a certain threshold, though.
Clearly people need to be responsible in how and where they use the feature but this is how the Ford F-150 Hybrid with ProPower inverter works. The YT channel Pickup Truck and SUV Talk demonstrated powering a RV camper AC with the inverter operating just like that. It starts on battery only, then switches on vehicle as it drains the small hybrid battery capacity. 12 minute video below shows it.
Sponsored

cuechairo

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(TBD) 2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Clearly people need to be responsible in how and where they use the feature but this is how the Ford F-150 Hybrid with ProPower inverter works. The YT channel Pickup Truck and SUV Talk demonstrated powering a RV camper AC with the inverter operating just like that. It starts on battery only, then switches on vehicle as it drains the small hybrid battery capacity. 12 minute video below shows it.
Ah, if it's a feature that can be turned on when needed then I can totally see that

tmac5809

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It looks like trucks with the iForce Max engine will get a locking fuel door. Non hybrids will get a standard fuel door.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Thanks to OP for posting. This potential economy makes the hybrid option much more appealing to me over just the performance gains. Just need an auto journalist, just one, to finally get around to asking whether the 2400 watt inverter output will operate with the engine off and if it will auto start when the battery is near empty while power is being pulled from the inverter. Can't quite believe that so many journos have commented on Taco and now LC and none seem to have the wit to ask this question.

It has been asked...you have to have the truck running in order to use the plugs. Not sure which videos but it was from the Hawaii reveal.

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
It has been asked...you have to have the truck running in order to use the plugs. Not sure which videos but it was from the Hawaii reveal.
I'd like to see a source for that as I watched most of those videos and didn't hear it asked or discussed. There was speculation at the time that it would be the same as the Tundra which apparently does operate that way. However, the Tundra may not be the best indication of what is implemented on Taco since it didn't have front recovery points either.

lutey

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 Prime, Nissan GT-R, 1994 Ford Mustang
I don't think the Tundra has a big inverter, so not applicable. That's how the RAV4 Prime works (it turns on the engine when the battery is low). I also wish a Journalist would ask that question. I create tons of content around the prime, and will start creating content around the new Taco. Although doubt i'd ever travel anywhere to cover a a reveal (i'm small time).

Jstryker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 24
I'm not gonna get a stiffy over an additional +2/3mpg and have the added expense of replacing batteries in 180k miles. Call me when they've resolved the battery/space conundrum to get a Prime version.

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 14 JKUR
I kinda doubt it would automatically turn on when it gets low. Image it turning on in someone's garage and filling it with carbon monoxide... I bet it would cut power off if it got below a certain threshold, though.
A co-worker was telling me about camping in his new Sienna- the thing will run the AC on battery, then runs for a while to recharge, and shuts down again. Says its about 15min out of the hour. I would expect inverter operation to be similar.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
A co-worker was telling me about camping in his new Sienna- the thing will run the AC on battery, then runs for a while to recharge, and shuts down again. Says its about 15min out of the hour. I would expect inverter operation to be similar.
I have seen reviews say how the inverter on the Sienna is better than in the Tundra.... so hopefully the Taco follows the Sienna

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 14 JKUR
I have seen reviews say how the inverter on the Sienna is better than in the Tundra.... so hopefully the Taco follows the Sienna
The Sienna has 1500W unit, worlds bigger than the long-time industry standard 400W that the tundra has. I'm guessing validation for the bigger units just wasn't done in time for the '22 Tundra launch. Hopefully they'll add it for '24.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
I’ll be stoked with ~25mpg combined on the TH. I’m adding + ~300# with an GFC camper so I expect slightly less no worries there. And hoping they’re able to configure the iForce battery pack for use while the motor’s off - and/or generator mode kick on the engine when it depletes.

mramseyisu

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
I’ll be stoked with ~25mpg combined on the TH. I’m adding + ~300# with an GFC camper so I expect slightly less no worries there. And hoping they’re able to configure the iForce battery pack for use while the motor’s off - and/or generator mode kick on the engine when it depletes.
If that hybrid gets 25ish mpg in the TH and Pro trims that'd be amazing I think. I would expect that they could get 3-4mpg better than the Tundra though because of the difference in mass of the vehicles.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The Sienna has 1500W unit, worlds bigger than the long-time industry standard 400W that the tundra has. I'm guessing validation for the bigger units just wasn't done in time for the '22 Tundra launch. Hopefully they'll add it for '24.
Unfortunately doesn't look like it. 24 tundra already rolling out. Maybe 25s? Most likely during mid cycle refresh, hopefully.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm not gonna get a stiffy over an additional +2/3mpg and have the added expense of replacing batteries in 180k miles. Call me when they've resolved the battery/space conundrum to get a Prime version.
Smiles to gallons...

It is not a hybrid tuned for MPG