Sponsored

4k miles: Grille shutter, Drive start control, check engine light, system malfunction

OP
OP

Liquidassets

First Name
Bronson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off-road
Heres the part number: 53100AK011

The Toyota corporate representative said they will get it to me "mid April"
Sponsored

OP
OP

Liquidassets

First Name
Bronson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off-road
Got my truck back today. There was corrosion build up at the grille shutter actuator pins and connector. They replaced the grille shutter with hopefully an updated part with better water sealing. It took a total of 30 days (28 for the part to come in though). They provided a rental car free of charge during that entire period.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Got my truck back today. There was corrosion build up at the grille shutter actuator pins and connector. They replaced the grille shutter with hopefully an updated part with better water sealing. It took a total of 30 days (28 for the part to come in though). They provided a rental car free of charge during that entire period.
Hoping this is what the big QC Hold was about and mine has already been "fixed". Wish Toyota was even vaguely transparent about this stuff so we would know the status of our costs-almost-as-much-as-a-home vehicles.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
That's insane. They have another thing coming if they think they're going to hold my truck hostage for a month when I put it in this Friday. They'll either have to cough up another truck as a loner or give me mine until the part comes in.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
Hopefully it will be trouble free from here on out. I take mine in this morning to get the new shutter. Same wait as you 30 days. I chose to keep driving mine even though they offered a rental. Spring in Oklahoma means thunderstorms and hail so I didn’t want to risk it.
I have been driving around with those ridiculous over the top warning pop ups so long I’m gonna need therapy from withdrawals when they are gone!

ruggedco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma off road
They replaced my grill shutter yesterday. There was another guy waiting for the part ahead of me so I assume he got his too.

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
I had the same issue, same errors. Took it to the dealer and the guy that checked me in said someone else came in with the same problem a few days before. I still had to sit around for 4 hours while they confirmed it though. The service manager said it'd take 3-5 days to get the part and they had to take pictures to send to Toyota because some parts "require Toyota approval" to order. Seems odd and sketchy. My shutters are open and they said it's fine to drive in that condition.
did they say what parts they needed to order to fix it, just for my reference in case I have the same issue and encounter a clueless service manager?

OP
OP

Liquidassets

First Name
Bronson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off-road
did they say what parts they needed to order to fix it, just for my reference in case I have the same issue and encounter a clueless service manager?
[/QUOTE]

part number: 53100AK011

Last edited:

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Just got a call from my dealer. No beating around the bush they told me trucks ready for pickup and parts are on order. Going to figure out lead times when I'm down there but I assume it'll be a month out like the rest of everyone

Glad they didn't trying to keep my truck and give me a corolla or something as a loaner as I need the truck.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
I wonder if this part the grill shutter assembly is also used in another model. How could there have been corrosion to the point of failing in a new truck? Looking athe grill blades etc they look plastic to me. Looking straight down the grill right in front of the hood latch you can see the acuator and the connector. You can see the connector is exposed. Will this issue keep happening?

2024Tacoconnector.PNG

Last edited:

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I wonder if this part the grill shutter assembly is also used in another model. How could there have been corrosion to the point of failing in a new truck? Looking athe grill blades etc they look plastic to me. Looking straight down the grill right in front of the hood latch you can see the acuator and the connector. You can see the connector is exposed. Will this issue keep happening?

2024Tacoconnector.PNG
I wondered the same. Thought to myself about an hour ago "I wonder if they're replacing it with an improved revised part, or if they're replacing it with the same part and hoping for the best.

Time will tell, but I'll be fuming if I get it a second time.
Sponsored