Sponsored

Are you aware of your surroundings?

Cordoc

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Gaston
Joined
Apr 20, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
81
Reaction score
78
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Trailhunter 2024
I own a 24 Trailhunter; it has now 15000, mostly Hwy miles.
I live in Austin, TX, but because I am an avid large-format B&W film photographer, I make several trips out west in search of the great photo opportunity.
In my last trip, I managed to obtain a 2-day pass to Canyonlands National Park, Utah. It has a 70+ mile trail that is a bit challenging because of tons of rocks on the trail, ascents steep enough that you only see sky, no trail, as well as similarly steep descents with a precipice on one side and a solid rock wall on the other, and about 5 inches of clearance.
It also has long, up to 3oo yards parts where you are over solid, flat rock and hence no tracks to guide you ahead.
The Trailhunter GPS/Map combo on the 14-inch screen, I was able to verify, is accurate to within 8 feet, so in a situation where tracks disappear, it comes in super handy. Indispensable, really.
But some smart person in Japan decided that us americans are distracted often and not aware of our surroundings.
So, whenever your speed drops bellow 8mph, or you stop, you get a screen with 360 coverage and, therefore, your map disappears and, in this case, so does your trail!.
You can get rid of it(only momentarily) if you press the X in the upper left corner.
So, in my situation, when over the flat rock areas, I lost the trail unless I continuously hit the X. Once, during an ascent, I almost lost truck and life and came close to dropping down a 700-foot fall while fighting the X to see the road; the camera is not good enough for me to see rocks and edge. After that, the tension built up, and I was a bit mortified.
It all ended well, except a rock destroyed my driver-side step and another one killed a tire.
Upon my return, I went to the dealership to ask to get rid of the damned surround screen, but it is not possible.
I admit this situation described here is not a common occurrence, but I am planning on writing Toyota about it to see if, by paying a bit of cash, there is a way to eliminate it. But first, I want opinions on this from you to see if I am exaggerating or if there are others who have stories or are dissatisfied with the surroundings screen.
Please let me know.
Thanks a lot.












SO, when you slow down below about 8 milesper
SSs
Sponsored

 

cyranodabum

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Sep 29, 2024
Threads
9
Messages
66
Reaction score
67
Location
Orange County, CA
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD OR Hybrid
Man that sounds terrifying.

The next time the 360 screen comes on for you, there's an option at the bottom of the screen to turn off the auto display of this. If you want to turn it back on, use the camera button below the gearshift on the center console, and then you can re-enable the automatic feature again.

Stay safe out there!
 
OP
OP

Cordoc

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Gaston
Joined
Apr 20, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
81
Reaction score
78
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Trailhunter 2024
Man that sounds terrifying.

The next time the 360 screen comes on for you, there's an option at the bottom of the screen to turn off the auto display of this. If you want to turn it back on, use the camera button below the gearshift on the center console, and then you can re-enable the automatic feature again.

Stay safe out there!
Cyrano, you are a scholar and a gentleman; problem fixed.
I will use it in the city and take it off in the field.
Thnks a lot
 

bitflogger

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
Jul 21, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
401
Reaction score
357
Location
WI
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
I own a 24 Trailhunter; it has now 15000, mostly Hwy miles.
I live in Austin, TX, but because I am an avid large-format B&W film photographer, I make several trips out west in search of the great photo opportunity.
In my last trip, I managed to obtain a 2-day pass to Canyonlands National Park, Utah. It has a 70+ mile trail that is a bit challenging because of tons of rocks on the trail, ascents steep enough that you only see sky, no trail, as well as similarly steep descents with a precipice on one side and a solid rock wall on the other, and about 5 inches of clearance.
It also has long, up to 3oo yards parts where you are over solid, flat rock and hence no tracks to guide you ahead.
The Trailhunter GPS/Map combo on the 14-inch screen, I was able to verify, is accurate to within 8 feet, so in a situation where tracks disappear, it comes in super handy. Indispensable, really.
But some smart person in Japan decided that us americans are distracted often and not aware of our surroundings.
So, whenever your speed drops bellow 8mph, or you stop, you get a screen with 360 coverage and, therefore, your map disappears and, in this case, so does your trail!.
You can get rid of it(only momentarily) if you press the X in the upper left corner.
So, in my situation, when over the flat rock areas, I lost the trail unless I continuously hit the X. Once, during an ascent, I almost lost truck and life and came close to dropping down a 700-foot fall while fighting the X to see the road; the camera is not good enough for me to see rocks and edge. After that, the tension built up, and I was a bit mortified.
It all ended well, except a rock destroyed my driver-side step and another one killed a tire.
Upon my return, I went to the dealership to ask to get rid of the damned surround screen, but it is not possible.
I admit this situation described here is not a common occurrence, but I am planning on writing Toyota about it to see if, by paying a bit of cash, there is a way to eliminate it. But first, I want opinions on this from you to see if I am exaggerating or if there are others who have stories or are dissatisfied with the surroundings screen.
Please let me know.
Thanks a lot.












SO, when you slow down below about 8 milesper
SSs
I can relate. We did not like the cameras all over, and an evening test drive made the larger screen too much of a distraction. We delayed gratification and tested basic through halo models and competitors.

My sister and bro in law just tested a high trim model and had same impressions. They probably need to continue with full-size ownership because of their horse trailering but had that same overkill feeling.

Even as someone who's off road a lot, does some guiding, ski area crew and trail building, a TRD OR long bed has been perfect. From decades of machine use, truck driving, ski area grooming, I think I'm just used to not counting on cameras.
 

Lando

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
Oct 6, 2023
Threads
5
Messages
422
Reaction score
355
Location
Canada
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR, 2021 VW Gti 6 spd
I can relate. We did not like the cameras all over, and an evening test drive made the larger screen too much of a distraction. We delayed gratification and tested basic through halo models and competitors.

My sister and bro in law just tested a high trim model and had same impressions. They probably need to continue with full-size ownership because of their horse trailering but had that same overkill feeling.

Even as someone who's off road a lot, does some guiding, ski area crew and trail building, a TRD OR long bed has been perfect. From decades of machine use, truck driving, ski area grooming, I think I'm just used to not counting on cameras.
I think the TRD OR is almost perfect for use as a truck and off road rig. A couple things lacking is a an external transmission cooler and a trailer brake controller.
 

Sponsored

tnjwinters

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Apr 3, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
95
Reaction score
86
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma TRD Pro, 2024 Trailhunter 6’
Just got back from Moab with my Trailhunter. The truck and cameras were absolutely amazing, especially when I was only seeing sky or ground. Wouldn’t want to do the trip without the cameras and multiple view options.
 
OP
OP

Cordoc

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Gaston
Joined
Apr 20, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
81
Reaction score
78
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Trailhunter 2024
Yes, it's a great area.
Thanks for your input.
 

bitflogger

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
Jul 21, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
401
Reaction score
357
Location
WI
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
I think the TRD OR is almost perfect for use as a truck and off road rig. A couple things lacking is a an external transmission cooler and a trailer brake controller.
They do have a trailer brake controller on the dash with the right options. I think you mean an air to oil cooler, but it does have a liquid to liquid cooler.
 

Turbo2Pete

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Pete
Joined
Aug 9, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
111
Reaction score
94
Location
NY (not the blasted City!!!)
Vehicle(s)
'25 Trailhunter
Man that sounds terrifying.

The next time the 360 screen comes on for you, there's an option at the bottom of the screen to turn off the auto display of this. If you want to turn it back on, use the camera button below the gearshift on the center console, and then you can re-enable the automatic feature again.

Stay safe out there!
Great post!!! While I haven't taken the thing offroad yet - that camera popup has beenmaking me crazy - as I'm stopping I'll go to look at what song is playing, or to change the station (I pretty well ignore the screeen while driving) and so often right as I look it blinks to camera ARGHH!!!

Also haven't gotten to dig into the menus to learn all the ins and outs.... you saved me and I'm sure others a lot of time!!!

I think the TRD OR is almost perfect for use as a truck and off road rig. A couple things lacking is a an external transmission cooler and a trailer brake controller.
There's a brake controller in the Trailhunter -you can probably add it in easily.
 

Sponsored

OP
OP

Cordoc

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Gaston
Joined
Apr 20, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
81
Reaction score
78
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Trailhunter 2024
Excuse my limitless ignorance but what the heck is a brake controller and what is its use? The Trailhunter brakes ok
Thanks
 

Turbo2Pete

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Pete
Joined
Aug 9, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
111
Reaction score
94
Location
NY (not the blasted City!!!)
Vehicle(s)
'25 Trailhunter
Excuse my limitless ignorance but what the heck is a brake controller and what is its use? The Trailhunter brakes ok
Thanks
LOL - it's a manual 'brake pedal' for trailers that are equipped with brakes... so you can apply brakes to the trailer without hitting the brake pedal - if you're going down the highway and things get a little wobbly, you might want to just touch the trailer brakes to get things behaving again... Or going downhill - hitting the pedal could have the trailer Push you and cause a wreck.
 
OP
OP

Cordoc

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Gaston
Joined
Apr 20, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
81
Reaction score
78
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Trailhunter 2024
LOL - it's a manual 'brake pedal' for trailers that are equipped with brakes... so you can apply brakes to the trailer without hitting the brake pedal - if you're going down the highway and things get a little wobbly, you might want to just touch the trailer brakes to get things behaving again... Or going downhill - hitting the pedal could have the trailer Push you and cause a wreck.
Thanks, I have never towed except to take the boat (light, less than 300pounds) to the lake.
 

Lando

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
Oct 6, 2023
Threads
5
Messages
422
Reaction score
355
Location
Canada
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR, 2021 VW Gti 6 spd
Excuse my limitless ignorance but what the heck is a brake controller and what is its use? The Trailhunter brakes ok
Thanks
It is a controller for the electric brakes on trailers. So when you press the brake pedal, the brakes on the trailer axles are applied as well. Safer and reduces wear on the truck brakes. I wouldn’t tow a trailer over 1000 lbs without a trailer brake controller.
Sponsored

 
 






Top