Sponsored

Automatic Braking: most annoying “feature” ever. How to disable it?

tacogarage

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd and 2nd Gen Taco
I’ve been driving this taco around for about 2 weeks now. The thing has automatic braking, not EMERGENCY auto brake, just regular every day every situation anticipated auto braking. It brakes on its own, if it thinks you’re too close or if anything looks odd, it would be ok if the thing could actually differentiate situations properly but I often find applies brakes randomly or intermittently but one right after another so I feel like a bobble head in my own truck…
I’m sure there’s a way ti turn it off but I tried looking and didn’t find the setting. I DID NOT read the entire manual no, I will because this is unacceptable but have any of you experienced this? Have you turned it off? How? Does it deactivate anything else?
Sponsored

BMM123

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 now - Sport Premium on order
I’ve been driving this taco around for about 2 weeks now. The thing has automatic braking, not EMERGENCY auto brake, just regular every day every situation anticipated auto braking. It brakes on its own, if it thinks you’re too close or if anything looks odd, it would be ok if the thing could actually differentiate situations properly but I often find applies brakes randomly or intermittently but one right after another so I feel like a bobble head in my own truck…
I’m sure there’s a way ti turn it off but I tried looking and didn’t find the setting. I DID NOT read the entire manual no, I will because this is unacceptable but have any of you experienced this? Have you turned it off? How? Does it deactivate anything else?
I'm not sure if this has something to do with your issue because I haven't played with the settings much. There is a part of the safety sense called proactive driving assist (PDA) which will apply gentle braking when there is something detected. Page 260 in the manual. The first day I had mine, I was fooling around with the cruise. It was acting strange in my opinion and while I was trying to figure it out, I ran across the setting for PDA. I turned it off and it has been acting more normal and was more in line with how I expected the adaptive cruise to work. Like I said, not sure if this is what you're referring but just a thought. I believe you can adjust sensitivity and a couple other things where you turn it on or off.

n118nw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco OR Premium
https://assets.sia.toyota.com/publi...Z*MTcwMjQxNzcwMS4xLjEuMTcwMjQxNzc0NC4xNy4wLjA.

Page 278 talks about it
Page 635 talks about how to disable it

Let us know if that works because I'd be interested in doing it too

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your "gentle deceleration" feature has you bobbing your head back and forth? You're either being extremely hyperbolic or you should take your truck to get looked at.

noxnyc23

First Name
Jr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Yes I know what you are talking about . I want to get rid of it too. Hate that the people behind me thinks i brake too much. I can brake on my own thank you very much.. If you guys find out how to shut it off that would be awesome and let us know how.. thanks.

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I think the only way to permanently disable it is to do some modifications of the code/settings via a device.

I haven't messed with mine yet, other than to turn the sensitivity down. If it's like the Cx5 that I have, you can disable it from the menu, but it will come back on again when you turn the car off.

I've had the CX5 activate a couple times when someone is turning off to the right, and I know that I won't hit them, but the car thinks I will, so be cautious of that.

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
Just turn off the PDA feature. It stays off permanently. My sales rep said he disabled it in his car but to give it a shot. It was the first thing I turned off.

OldOre

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD OffRoad
Your "gentle deceleration" feature has you bobbing your head back and forth? You're either being extremely hyperbolic or you should take your truck to get looked at.
Nope, it's violent emergency braking. After a couple of parking garage incidents, I had to turn off all the Toyota Safety Sense features. Also, the Tacoma manuals are an awful mess.

...but the adaptive cruise control in the 2024 is huge improvement over my 2022 Tacoma.
Sponsored