Sponsored

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
He talks about the turbo 4 getting close to the gen 2 Tundra V8. That’s the first thing I noticed on my test drive, the power felt almost like my Tuned Tundra!

Sponsored

Rocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd w/upgrade
Underrated from the factory …nice
Yeah, the thing does feel pretty powerful. The 3rd gen and 4th gen are supposed to have the same peak HP, but this video shows that they do not. I think there is about a 15% loss through drivetrain too, so 306 ft lbs of torque at the wheels is pretty impressive. It would be nice to see a few more dyno runs on different dynos. To be fair, he did say that they were at altitude, so the 3rd gen would suffer more than the 4th, but still, impressive. But yeah, underrated for sure.
I would be curious if there is a bigger difference with premium fuel as it is a turbo.

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I didn't notice any difference in running premium fuel . When i got truck new for almost a kinth i used regular gas and then from last 3 refills i been buying 94 premium . Did not get any noticeable difference . One thing i would say is with regular gas gas if my rpms were low engine struggles but with premium i can easily drive truck 25 km per hour in 3rd gear easily

before i needed to be at least above 35 to go from 2nd gear to 3 rd gear so engine does not lug

Rocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd w/upgrade
I didn't notice any difference in running premium fuel . When i got truck new for almost a kinth i used regular gas and then from last 3 refills i been buying 94 premium . Did not get any noticeable difference . One thing i would say is with regular gas gas if my rpms were low engine struggles but with premium i can easily drive truck 25 km per hour in 3rd gear easily

before i needed to be at least above 35 to go from 2nd gear to 3 rd gear so engine does not lug
I thought the shift points were a little lower, and also that the motor seems a bit quieter. I did not notice any mpg differences though, so maybe I am just imagining a difference.

Sponsored

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I thought the shift points were a little lower, and also that the motor seems a bit quieter. I did not notice any mpg differences though, so maybe I am just imagining a difference.
Shift points are lower compared to previous manual tacoma . I mean like if i have to just cruse at 30km per hour with light throttle in 3 rd gear - no issue but if i have to speed up from there engine lug little . So if i am accelerating i have to push second gear to 35 km speed to get good acceleration in 3 rd gear without luging .

OP
OP

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They unfortunately didn’t say what fuel was used? Could be more power on the table?
I'd like to see a dyno run on different octanes to see if 87 octane is truly all that is necessary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 AC TRD OR
Do the numbers compensate for the altitude? If they're in Denver, the NA engine is losing ~3% per 1000' of elevation so around 15% whereas the forced induction engine is losing less than 1% per 1000'.

Forced induction is always king at altitude which is why I'm super excited to upgrade from my 2g 4.0L to the new I4. I can finally experience the power that everyone at sea level feels on a daily basis.

OP
OP

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do the numbers compensate for the altitude? If they're in Denver, the NA engine is losing ~3% per 1000' of elevation so around 15% whereas the forced induction engine is losing less than 1% per 1000'.

Forced induction is always king at altitude which is why I'm super excited to upgrade from my 2g 4.0L to the new I4. I can finally experience the power that everyone at sea level feels on a daily basis.
No they didn’t. So basically the Turbo 4 is almost putting its crank rated HP/TQ to the ground?!

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road

Based on what I noticed in the video, I didn't see any corrections for altitude, temperature, or humidity levels so I'm guessing the numbers are based on Denver at the day/time the dyno was performed. That said, I'm feeling that 15% driveline loss is a pretty generous loss, but is likely a few points higher than 15%.

With that stated, that would make the crank power output roughly 307HP and 352HP, assuming I did my math right -- at conditions if you lived in Denver @ 4500-5000k feet or so.
Sponsored