Sponsored

I towed a camper ... and was highly disappointed [Sport 6M]

ColoradoBoo

Limited
Well-known member
First Name
Rick
Joined
Aug 27, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
55
Reaction score
36
Location
Monument, Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD 4x4
Yes and a mechanic told me, years ago, that Toyota is very conservative when they put towing numbers out there. It's the same mind-set on why your car tells you it's empty when, in reality, it still probably has over 2-gallons....better safe than sorry.
I've known a lot of people towing campers with Toyota's and not a single person I've ever met lost a transmission, even when they tow a little more than the ratings say.
Sponsored

 

guitarist alec

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Alec
Joined
Oct 3, 2023
Threads
10
Messages
148
Reaction score
173
Location
california
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport 4X4 Longbed Premium
We tow our pop-up Aliner (13ft, 1,600lb loaded) with our 4th Gen 6ft Sport, all over the West... hardly notice it is there and mileage hit is minimal 👍🏼 going out to Bodega Bay this weekend!
2024 Tacoma I towed a camper ... and was highly disappointed [Sport 6M] IMG_7440
 

SoCal

TRD Off-Road
Active member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Sep 7, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
25
Reaction score
36
Location
Temecula
Vehicle(s)
Audi R8, Ford Bronco, Tesla M3P
I believe the hybrid is rated lower, not because it can't tow as much, but because it's heavier than the gas models and that difference in weight cuts into it's GVW. I suspect it's mosty "lawyer talk".
yes, mostly due to it being much hevier...not really the point though...
the contention was the statement that the hybrid had the highest towing capacity with 6500 lbs
but it is rated at 500 lbs less than the non-hybrid per Toyota themselves at 6,000 lbs...thats all

towing capacity is rated on how well the vehicle can stop just as much as how well it can go
.
The non -hybrids are rated higher for a reason
Sponsored

 
 






Top