Sponsored

Low coolant level

phxAz

SR5
Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Sep 11, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
8
Reaction score
3
Location
phoenix
Vehicle(s)
2025 Tacoma sr5
My 2025 Toyota Tacoma has 23,000 miles and has been serviced by Toyota every 5,000 mile's. The fluid level is now very low, and Toyota never mentioned this during any of the service's.

2024 Tacoma Low coolant level IMG_2150
Sponsored

 
OP
OP
phxAz

phxAz

SR5
Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Sep 11, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
8
Reaction score
3
Location
phoenix
Vehicle(s)
2025 Tacoma sr5
If you don't feel like going to the dealer for the coolant, get some Valvoline Zerex pink. It's basically identical to Toyota's SLLC. Ive used it for years in all manner of Toyotas

Zerex-Asian-Vehicle-Red-50-50-Prediluted-Antifreeze_d4cc24af-c75b-4ec3-a4e0-e56b16180379.0abf...webp
I’ll go to Toyota on Monday. I’m just surprised that my dealer always marks the coolant level as good, when it’s actually always low.
 

maxx075

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
Apr 24, 2024
Threads
6
Messages
1,307
Reaction score
1,597
Location
FL
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Ever notice any slight sweet coolant smell after turning it off? Mine occasionally does and I've had to have mine refilled as well. Around 30k or so and I was at the Low level.
 

Sponsored

OP
OP
phxAz

phxAz

SR5
Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Sep 11, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
8
Reaction score
3
Location
phoenix
Vehicle(s)
2025 Tacoma sr5
Ever notice any slight sweet coolant smell after turning it off? Mine occasionally does and I've had to have mine refilled as well. Around 30k or so and I was at the Low level.
Honestly, I’m not sure if I smell coolant, but I was surprised to see that the truck had lost that much coolant after only 23,000 miles. I usually don’t check the engine bay, and I’ve had the truck serviced regularly at a Toyota dealership every 5,000 miles. They haven’t mentioned anything about the coolant level or any possible issues. All of my service records state that the fluids were checked and topped off.
 

Mercedes

TRD Sport
Well-known member
Joined
May 27, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
71
Reaction score
72
Location
≈39N
Vehicle(s)
2026 TRD Sport "Mercedes"
I usually don’t check the engine bay, and I’ve had the truck serviced regularly at a Toyota dealership every 5,000 miles. They haven’t mentioned anything about the coolant level or any possible issues. All of my service records state that the fluids were checked and topped off.
As you've confirmed, what's seen under the hood doesn't always align with what's documented on the ticket.

Oil change stations are focused on sending as many vehicles through the line as possible, not necessarily doing a thorough (or correct) job. That, coupled with overall reliability and build quality of modern vehicles, items which were previously checked frequently, aren't.

I recommend anyone getting oil changes and general service to check fluids before leaving the dealer. Oil level, coolant reservoir, brake fluid, battery terminals, followed by an overall visual. Bonus points for taking a quick look underneath.

As part of my maintenance routine, I check under the hood, underneath, tire tread and tire pressures once a month.

I’ll go to Toyota on Monday.
I think that's a good idea. You're still under warranty. Seeing the dealer will start a history, paper trail and lend support if repairs are needed.

Ever notice any slight sweet coolant smell after turning it off?
Occasionally, yes.

It seems to be a phenomenon with newer generations of vehicles? I've noticed it. I've read similar comments in Ford and Jeep forums. Attached is a video highlighting an interesting detail of an electric VW pump.

I'm still learning my truck. I consider the smell a characteristic of the engine.



2024 Tacoma Low coolant level Screenshot 2026-10-04 at 03.22.34


2024 Tacoma Low coolant level Screenshot 2026-10-04 at 03.23.14
 
Last edited:

IDontWorkForTheWaterCo

SR
Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
300
Reaction score
369
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2026 Tacoma SR
On a some what related note....I'm a once-a-week hood popper. Oil check, fluid checks and inspection. It's habit every Wednesday afternoon. I think it stems from being a kid and watching my father dump oil into whatever clunker we had at that moment. Being poor, checking under the hood frequently was an absolute requirement with the shit buckets we had.
 

MT-Taco

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Allen
Joined
May 22, 2023
Threads
21
Messages
1,130
Reaction score
1,087
Location
Montana
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD off-road Tacoma
I topped mine off once at about 2K miles. I’m at 48K now and it’s fine. Probably just a few pockets of air from the factory fill.
 
OP
OP
phxAz

phxAz

SR5
Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Sep 11, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
8
Reaction score
3
Location
phoenix
Vehicle(s)
2025 Tacoma sr5
I topped mine off once at about 2K miles. I’m at 48K now and it’s fine. Probably just a few pockets of air from the factory fill.
I hope so—I’ll take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say since the truck is still under warranty.
Sponsored

 
 






Top