Sponsored

gmalkmus

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
Nov 17, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
168
Reaction score
183
Location
SW Missouri
Vehicle(s)
2025 Tacoma TRD Offroad 6MT, 2015 Mustang GT 6MT
The whole snorkel design totally revamps the air flow for this truck. Toyota quotes a 3 horsepower reduction for the Trailhunter. I installed an aftermarket airbox that greatly improved the airflow and the truck threw codes. The Trailhunter doesn’t like too much air.
It threw codes because you likely used an intake meant for non-Trailhunter/Pro models that has a completely different MAF setup. You'll have to use an intake that is specifically made for the Pro/Trailhunter or get your truck tuned with OTT/Cobb. Should run fine after that.
Sponsored

 

CAMTuning

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
BASIC Sponsor
First Name
Cameron
Joined
Apr 2, 2025
Threads
27
Messages
310
Reaction score
483
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2025 Tacoma TRD OffRoad
It threw codes because you likely used an intake meant for non-Trailhunter/Pro models that has a completely different MAF setup. You'll have to use an intake that is specifically made for the Pro/Trailhunter or get your truck tuned with OTT/Cobb. Should run fine after that.
True- it's not that it has 'too much air', it's that it being reported to the ecu incorrectly. Smaller diameter maf housing over reports the amount of air entering the engine, and you end up with very negative fuel trims and miscalculated load/torque. I've tuned a bunch of non-Pro with the Pro intake, and now many Pro and Trailhunters with intakes like SXTH and Banks. Once you have the scaling down, they work perfectly.
 

mountainmike

Trailhunter
New member
First Name
Michael
Joined
Mar 30, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
4
Reaction score
3
Location
vancouver
Vehicle(s)
2026 Trailhunter
Thanks Dr Tron for parts list and everyone fort chiming in. I did the swap with the parts listed above and after a quick drive around the block, it's so much nicer to drive around. I am curious to see if there's a change in mpg. Curious if there's been any changes for those who had improvements/regressions.
 

Turbo2Pete

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Pete
Joined
Aug 9, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
94
Reaction score
86
Location
NY (not the blasted City!!!)
Vehicle(s)
'25 Trailhunter
About 8,500.
I'm used to the noise now, it's a hoot for sure. But those low IAT's, wow is that worth the price of admission. I'll tell you what I would buy though if someone made it...

It would be awesome if it was switchable from fender to RAI for Summer / Winter and downpours. Pop the hood, turn a crank or lever and divert the flow as needed. That would be slick.
On the gas mileage, I wonder if the guys seeing a loss in mpg are driving more aggressively without the noise cues... I'm sure I'm driving more gently to keep the noise down (been running noisy turbo cars for decades, I know when I'm doing it, LOL)

As I'm reading through the thread I was thinking the same as you "wonder if I can come up with a diverter to switch back....."

I'm not quite ready to tear my truck apart to sort this though, LOL, only have it a week!
 
Last edited:

Awger

Trailhunter
Active member
Joined
Jan 26, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
33
Reaction score
19
Location
Kelowna BC
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma
If you figure out a cover let me know! I went the Stillen route which I also love.
I've got a Stillen Air intake as well but I find that it needs to have the air filter replaced every few months.

Those things aren't cheap!

I'm considering getting the serviceable one, but I'm wondering if people with the TRD intake are having to replace their air filters after long drives on dusty roads?
Sponsored

 
 






Top