Should I buy a Tacoma?

d.voitel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 GMC Sierra 2500
Alright, I think I am taking my deposit off of the Tacoma TRD Offroad, Hybrid Max with the premium package and buying the GMC Canyon AT4. Will anyone care to talk me out of it?

I live in Alberta, Canada and currently I own a GMC Sierra 2500 with 520,000 KM (323,000 mile for you heathens South of the border). I put my deposit down on the Tacoma in December. In February I test drove a manual transmission Tacoma Sport and the Offroad Automatic Transmission with the premium package. I did not like the manual. It was loud, felt under powered and was uninspiring. The 8-speed auto was much quieter and felt better to drive. I really did enjoy it but, in all honesty, I felt that the interior was nicer in the Canyon, it drove much smoother, and the cabin was quieter. I was anticipating that the Iforce Max would give it that extra oomf and make the ride something special. I love Toyotas. I have been very excited waiting to find out news and reviews. I was willing to overlook the short comings of the Taco because of the boosted performance of the hybrid engine and Toyotaā€™s legendary reliability. I drive a lot: 30,0000 km (18,000 miles) a year. There is a lot of highway driving, but I also do a lot of hunting and fishing. It is important that the vehicle is offroad capable, but this is pretty light duty, unlike some dedicated devotes on this site. The electronic locking rear diff, disconnecting sway bar and the crawl control on the TRD Offroad make it superior over the Canyon for this purpose. How often have I needed this? Not often. The day to day driving qualities is much more important to me. In the end I want a truck that drives like and SUV but can perform the duties of a truck and handle a bit of light off roading. Iā€™ve watched a bunch of the reviews today for the new hybrid models and the comment that stuck out was that they found the hybrid performance was just a bit better but not miles ahead. I thought with the bit of extra horsepower and the gobs more torque it would make it feel like a completely different machine. It didnā€™t though.

The Tacoma TRD Off-road is a more capable off-road beast than the Canyon and the tech is very impressive. But as a daily driver the Canyon just feels better. The seat and steering wheel position is more comfortable, the handing and the response of the Canyon is more SUV like, the visibility over the hood is better and the interior seems more upscale both visually and to the touch. Any performance gains that are achieved with the added horsepower and torque of the iforce max engine are offset by the fact that the Taco is 500lbs heavier than the standard Tacoma and 600 lbs more than the Canyon. This is the kicker: In order to get that extra performance offered by the hybrid engine, to match the Canyon it is going to cost me $7000.00 more in Canadian dollars than the standard Tacoma with the same options and trim which is putting me within spitting distance of a F150 in a middle trim. I just donā€™t want or need a full-sized truck.

I am finding it hard to justify the trucky feel of a truck that will tow less, haul less and cost me $7000.00 more than a slightly less off-road capable Canyon AT4 but a better feeling daily driver.

As well, and I might need to do some more shopping around but the insurance on the Tacoma is between $300.00 to $600.00 a year more the Canyon. This almost makes up for the higher fuel cost of operating the Canyon.

Moreover, I get a preferred customer discount on GM products that amounts to another 3500.00 in savings. The financing cost of a Tacoma are also almost 2% higher than the Canyon. That basically amounts to a $10,000.00 difference between the Canyon and the Taco with a much higher financing cost compounding that amount.

So is the Tacoma really worth the extra ten to twelve thousand dollars more?

........and Go!!!!!
Sponsored

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
Look at the forum ā€œa couple of pic after detailing + 2 coatsā€¦ā€

If those pics donā€™t cause your eyes to pop, then get the GMC.

I LOVE the 4th gen.

2TR-FE

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma SR5
Tacomas are too expensive this generation - i Am not here to talk you out of it

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Sounds like your mind is made up. Think the Canyon forum is calling for you šŸ˜‚

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
You currently drive a 3/4 ton truck as your daily and are complaining the new Tacoma is too truck-y? Sounds like what you really want is a Ridgeline.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Might not be able to talk you out of it, but where did that $7000 figure come from? I am getting a TRD OR iForce MAX and the Canadian pricing is better than I expected - $64k compared to $61k for the gas model, and for that $3000 increase you get the hybrid powertrain AND the sway bar disconnect AND the 18" wheel & tire package. (Edit - just checked and realized I was comparing the MSRP of the hybrid to the delivered price of the gas model. OP was pretty close with $7kCAD difference)

Other than that, just consider the resale value. I don't mind paying a bit more for a truck if I know it'll still be worth a lot in a few years. That is typically not the case for GM and Ford.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
10K is a lotta scratch! To be honest Iā€™m cross shopping as well. I know long term Iā€™ll probably be better off with the Toyota but damn they are pushing the prices!

OP
OP
d.voitel

d.voitel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 GMC Sierra 2500
Might not be able to talk you out of it, but where did that $7000 figure come from? I am getting a TRD OR iForce MAX and the Canadian pricing is better than I expected - $64k compared to $61k for the gas model, and for that $3000 increase you get the hybrid powertrain AND the sway bar disconnect AND the 18" wheel & tire package. (Edit - just checked and realized I was comparing the MSRP of the hybrid to the delivered price of the gas model. OP was pretty close with $7kCAD difference)

Other than that, just consider the resale value. I don't mind paying a bit more for a truck if I know it'll still be worth a lot in a few years. That is typically not the case for GM and Ford.

The Canadian price for the TRD Off-road Premium with the Iforce max engine quoted in at least one of the Videos and one article published today is 68,400. Without the hybrid engine in the premium trim it is 61,400. If it was only a $3000.00 difference I would be all in.
This is a tough choice. I have had few conversations about this. Resale does not matter to me as much as others. I tend to drive vehicles into the ground, hence a gmc with over 500,000 that keeps plugging along.

OP
OP
d.voitel

d.voitel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 GMC Sierra 2500
You currently drive a 3/4 ton truck as your daily and are complaining the new Tacoma is too truck-y? Sounds like what you really want is a Ridgeline.
You are not far off with the Ridgeline. Actually my daily driver died during a bad cold snap in February. The GMC is my hunt/dog/yard work truck. The Ridgeline was looked at as a really nice driving option for a midsized truck. The bed is just a little too short and not deep enough. Also, I may not be a heavy off road user but when recovering harvested game, doing scouting or travelling logging roads, reasonable ground clearance is a must. The Ridgeline doesnā€™t have it.

Last edited:

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
I think the Canyons look good, itā€™ll be a nice truck man. The ATX4 tho that mpg is hideous. Less efficiency engineering went into that thing and it shows.

Iā€™d say wait for an economic downturn and watch prices get slashed. Economy is hot, demand for trucks is highā€¦

OP
OP
d.voitel

d.voitel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 GMC Sierra 2500
I think the Canyons look good, itā€™ll be a nice truck man. The ATX4 tho that mpg is hideous. Less efficiency engineering went into that thing and it shows.

Iā€™d say wait for an economic downturn and watch prices get slashed. Economy is hot, demand for trucks is highā€¦
One of the things that attracted me to the Tacoma is the fuel economy. It is better than the Canyon. I was hoping the hybrid engine would be much better but it is not and since I do a lot of highway driving the savings will not be that great. I expect to burn 3 mpg more. That I can handle. AT4X fuel burns are not great. You are right about that.

I think where Toyota really has the market cornered is the after market mods that are available. If a stock truck is not your thing the sky is the limit for what you can do. The fact that Toyota seems to encourage this is brilliant on their part.

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
Seems like a good option. The interior stopped me for shallow reasons: I definitely prefer the clean, utilitarian look of the Tacoma. The Canyon looks like you're inside a smoker's lounge :LOL:

n118nw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Taco OR Premium
Only reason why I spent more on an OR Premium instead of an AT4X at the same cost or an AT4 fully loaded is because I feel GMC cheaped out on more areas than Toyota did.

Gripes about the Canyon:

-Don't like the shifter
-Don't like the tail lights
-Don't like leaf springs
-Don't like the manual rear window
-While it looks good, I don't like the smaller infotainment screen
-Don't like the 17mpg fuel economy
-Don't like that the AT4 doesn't come with an electronic locker (I prefer that over automatic)
-Don't like the blue that they used (too light of a shade for me, my 4G ORP is blue)
-Don't like the antenna
-Don't like the white interior

I don't care for the interior styling of the ZR2.. which is essentially an AT4X but 8k cheaper, and a lot of my dislikes for the Canyon also carry over to the Colorado. If GM put an electric locker on the AT4, had better matching rear tail lights, used a darker blue like on Chevy's Lakeshore Blue Metallic, and had a better looking interior color choice, I would have been a much harder choice with which truck to go with. I ended up going with the Taco ORP because it has everything I wanted and looking for, I liked the exterior and interior styling and color choices better, I love the bigger infotainment screen, and typically Toyotas have far more aftermarket products available.

At the end of the day.. get what you want, not what others tell you to get. Test drive them all and pick the one you like best, but capability speaking.. I don't think there's a wrong answer.

Last edited:

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
Tacomas are too expensive this generation - i Am not here to talk you out of it
I agree all vehicles are too expensive today but the Tacoma compared to competition? Here are two in my area for comparison.

https://www.marcmillerbuickgmc.com/...ort_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_AT4-TULSA-OK/5802190020

https://www.fowlertoyotatulsa.com/new/Toyota/2024-Toyota-Tacoma-7bddd71cac1800fa192014f5acb62e11.htm

https://www.fowlertoyotatulsa.com/new/Toyota/2024-Toyota-Tacoma-0e359096ac184b913d96451c6a094ac5.htm

Last edited:

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I drove both (not the hybrid). I went Toyota due to low end torque, no leaf springs in the back and 6ā€™ bed. I bought the sport plus trim level and the pricing was actually more for the GMC. I got the same discount as you did so I think the GMC ended up $1-2K cheaper. But I thought the Toyota was the better truck. The sport definitely drove better. I think ultimately the low end torque was the big differentiator.

I went in assuming I was going to buy the GMC after all of the research I did ahead of driving them.
Sponsored