cbioffroadfab.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
I was just looking at it myself for my Off Road model. Very interested in the 1” rear and 1.25” front kit to keep most of the stock rake as I’ll likely have stuff in the bed on a semi regular basis. I really like how you can buy the different components separately to tailor the lift I want.

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Manual
We are working with Peak Suspension to get a bunch of new suspension options for the 4th Gen Tacoma. However they just launched their spacer kit: https://www.peaksuspension.com/product/2024-toyota-tacoma-2-piece-trail-kit/ and we have been running it out our 4th gen and could not be happier with the clearance, strength, and quality.

Peak Tacoma Spacer.jpg
Are you concerned that the top spacer for the Peak kit results in only 5mm of nut thread engagement (losing half the engagement ). The spacer is 15mm thick. The nut is 10mm tall. The stud from the top of the nut is 15mm with the top 5mm unthreaded. This means that after installing the spacer, your the nut is engaging half as much thread as intended.

I bought the spacer only kit and I’m concerned about this. I contacted Peak and they said they’ve sold over 1000 of these kits and haven’t had any issues.

2024 Tacoma Spacer Kit on our new 4th gen IMG_4171
2024 Tacoma Spacer Kit on our new 4th gen IMG_4166
2024 Tacoma Spacer Kit on our new 4th gen IMG_4169
2024 Tacoma Spacer Kit on our new 4th gen IMG_4168
2024 Tacoma Spacer Kit on our new 4th gen IMG_4175

Last edited:

kjkolsen

First Name
Kortlan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
I work with Peak really closely
And its not concerning at all! The rule of thumb for any fastener is 3 fully engaged threads, and there is way more than that despite there not being a stem above the nut. It is nothing to be concerned about, but Peak suspension has addressed it by now including shorter nylock nuts. If you have any questions, they’re really responsive

Peak Suspension

BASIC Sponsor
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad
Hi all, my name is Nick from Peak and I am who designed and produced this kit. This thread was brought to my attention so we joined this forum so I can weigh in a little and see how I can help.

We have been in testing on these for quite some time before ever releasing it to the public. We had the design concept created after our measuring session with the SEMA garage and then we were fortunate to borrow one of CBI’s trucks as they had one of the earliest ones.

My design philosophy behind our parts has always been function over form, with form following closely behind. The reason I say this is we are compared a lot to another brand or why we do things the way we do, and quite frankly I wanted to ensure that we focused on the performance of the suspension. This is the reason why our lift heights may not be as high as some of the competitors, but you will never see a post complaining about the ride quality or alignment issues like so many others.

As far as our top spacer design goes, it was designed with a couple things to take into consideration. The first thing to take into consideration is safety with thread engagement. I understand Michael’s concerns, and we have spoke in length about it, however when it comes to safe operations of fasteners, 3 full thread engagements is all that is needed to be deemed safe, and we have more than that. These are simple, full thread flange nuts that come from the factory, and indeed work quite well. While they may “look” like they aren’t all the way tight, or a concern they can spin off, they won’t. Additionally, as another user stated, loctite is a surefire way to add a little peace of mind.

To further touch on the stud portion, there are no forces at play that would be a reason for concern. The top mount is mounted against and through the frame, with zero play and there’s no lateral forces being exerted on the studs to be a reason for fear. On top of that, even if a nut or all of the nuts would somehow spin off, the shock wouldn’t just fall out of the truck. Even at full droop, the shock would remain in place albeit make a bunch of noise but as far as a safety concern, there really isn’t any.

The second thing we consider is the overall height. As stated earlier, we may not be as high as the others and we did it this way intentionally. We chose a split spacer design to maintain proper shock shaft positioning (similar to other platforms we make parts for) as well proper ride quality. Anything higher will result in a poor ride quality and poor shock performance.

To touch on what someone had say earlier wishing there were close to 20,000 or 30,000 miles and we wish that too! The reality is these trucks just came out only a few months ago. There’s a handful of trucks nearing 10k with no issues and we would be completely open and honest if there was any cause for concern. We would not make a product we didn’t fully back and on top of that, we are always evolving. If we see a case for a design change or update, we’ll implement that into new production runs to always be improving.

As with all things, my “door is always open” and I am happy to answer any questions directly or indirectly.

Thanks all for the support, looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Sponsored

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi all, my name is Nick from Peak and I am who designed and produced this kit. This thread was brought to my attention so we joined this forum so I can weigh in a little and see how I can help.

We have been in testing on these for quite some time before ever releasing it to the public. We had the design concept created after our measuring session with the SEMA garage and then we were fortunate to borrow one of CBI’s trucks as they had one of the earliest ones.

My design philosophy behind our parts has always been function over form, with form following closely behind. The reason I say this is we are compared a lot to another brand or why we do things the way we do, and quite frankly I wanted to ensure that we focused on the performance of the suspension. This is the reason why our lift heights may not be as high as some of the competitors, but you will never see a post complaining about the ride quality or alignment issues like so many others.

As far as our top spacer design goes, it was designed with a couple things to take into consideration. The first thing to take into consideration is safety with thread engagement. I understand Michael’s concerns, and we have spoke in length about it, however when it comes to safe operations of fasteners, 3 full thread engagements is all that is needed to be deemed safe, and we have more than that. These are simple, full thread flange nuts that come from the factory, and indeed work quite well. While they may “look” like they aren’t all the way tight, or a concern they can spin off, they won’t. Additionally, as another user stated, loctite is a surefire way to add a little peace of mind.

To further touch on the stud portion, there are no forces at play that would be a reason for concern. The top mount is mounted against and through the frame, with zero play and there’s no lateral forces being exerted on the studs to be a reason for fear. On top of that, even if a nut or all of the nuts would somehow spin off, the shock wouldn’t just fall out of the truck. Even at full droop, the shock would remain in place albeit make a bunch of noise but as far as a safety concern, there really isn’t any.

The second thing we consider is the overall height. As stated earlier, we may not be as high as the others and we did it this way intentionally. We chose a split spacer design to maintain proper shock shaft positioning (similar to other platforms we make parts for) as well proper ride quality. Anything higher will result in a poor ride quality and poor shock performance.

To touch on what someone had say earlier wishing there were close to 20,000 or 30,000 miles and we wish that too! The reality is these trucks just came out only a few months ago. There’s a handful of trucks nearing 10k with no issues and we would be completely open and honest if there was any cause for concern. We would not make a product we didn’t fully back and on top of that, we are always evolving. If we see a case for a design change or update, we’ll implement that into new production runs to always be improving.

As with all things, my “door is always open” and I am happy to answer any questions directly or indirectly.

Thanks all for the support, looking forward to getting to know all of you.
Thanks for chiming in. I do agree that the risk is low since the strut is captured and there are no loads on the studs. My concern has been more around stripping the threads when torqued to spec (or if a torque wrench isn’t used - over torquing). I was hoping to discuss with someone at Peak on the phone vs email exchanges but never received a phone call. I do still think this is an elegant solution and appreciate y’all bringing the solutions we want to market. 🍻

Peak Suspension

BASIC Sponsor
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for chiming in. I do agree that the risk is low since the strut is captured and there are no loads on the studs. My concern has been more around stripping the threads when torqued to spec (or if a torque wrench isn’t used - over torquing). I was hoping to discuss with someone at Peak on the phone vs email exchanges but never received a phone call. I do still think this is an elegant solution and appreciate y’all bringing the solutions we want to market. 🍻
We were out of the office for 2 events last week, still happy to discuss with you. Also, I was going to mention that our TrailHunter top spacer is smaller, so perhaps that might be a good option for you.

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We were out of the office for 2 events last week, still happy to discuss with you. Also, I was going to mention that our TrailHunter top spacer is smaller, so perhaps that might be a good option for you.
Hey Nick, great to have you here. How much smaller are we talking for the Trail Hunter too spacer? I have an Off Road model with 1.75 to 2” of rake. I don’t want to lift the rear at all, but would like to lift the front about 0.75-1.0 inches to take SOME of the rake out. When is it going to be available?

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Nick, great to have you here. How much smaller are we talking for the Trail Hunter too spacer? I have an Off Road model with 1.75 to 2” of rake. I don’t want to lift the rear at all, but would like to lift the front about 0.75-1.0 inches to take SOME of the rake out. When is it going to be available?
Tailhunter kit is listed on their site already.

Nick - how thick is the Trailhunter spacer? I think 1” would adequately reduce the factory rake while maintaining a small amount of rake. My TRD Off-road is 1.25” lower in the front versus back so some of the other kits from competitors would actually be higher in the front. That would be no bueno! Especially with any weight in the back.

https://www.peaksuspension.com/product/2024-toyota-tacoma-1-25-lift-kit/

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Nick - how thick is the Trailhunter spacer? I think 1” would adequately reduce the factory rake while maintaining a small amount of rake. My TRD Off-road is 1.25” lower in the front versus back so some of the other kits from competitors would actually be higher in the front. That would be no bueno! Especially with any weight in the back.

Ahhh thank you. I didn’t click the dropdown menu when I checked last night. It was late.
I’ll be ordering that.

Sponsored

Peak Suspension

BASIC Sponsor
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The Trailhunter spacer only lifts 1" and the spacer is about .5" thick.

Peak Suspension

BASIC Sponsor
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We
2024 Tacoma Spacer Kit on our new 4th gen TacomaTopNuts
have been getting a lot of emails from concerned citizens over the thread engagement, and we have more updates.

We decided that the factory nuts were still the best option because they are fully threaded. As you can see in the photo, the nuts are fully seated, fully threaded, torqued to spec and have minor stud intrusion still.

For some reason there's a belief that you have to have the stud sticking out past the nuts and that's simply not true.
Sponsored