Sponsored

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
13:10 “Here in Canada we get everything at MSRP because it is illegal to add dealer mark up” 💪
How true is this? I was actually unaware and a little frightened about this dealing with my current dealer as he couldn't give me an answer when I asked if they're going to sell over MSRP.

Hopefully this is true, huge win.

Nevermind, a quick Google search shows this is misinformation. We do have a all-in price law, and a lot of Canadian dealers have a sold at MSRP policy, but there's no Canadian law stopping vehicles from being sold over MSRP, maybe a few provincial laws but doubtful

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Nevermind, a quick Google search shows this is misinformation. We do have a all-in price law, and a lot of Canadian dealers have a sold at MSRP policy, but there's no Canadian law stopping vehicles from being sold over MSRP, maybe a few provincial laws but doubtful
Bingo. Most similar policies are managed by the dealership associations (AMVIC in Alberta) who never actually hold the dealers accountable anyway.

guitarist alec

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tacoma Sport
I think we all learned something here… Please update us when you go to purchase as to whether or not they do ADM’s -thx !

OCCanuck

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
And a lot of dealers found a way around that by selling used trucks for with 20 miles on them for several thousand more than MSRP....
Yes, there are a few dealers in my area selling "used" RAV4s with 500-1000 km for $5k over the new MSRP.

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
13:10 “Here in Canada we get everything at MSRP because it is illegal to add dealer mark up” 💪
Try telling that to the Dodge Stealerships selling Challengers this past year. Either they broke the law or there is no such law. Many other brands had Dealer mark ups added as well.

AndreB

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500 HD
How true is this? I was actually unaware and a little frightened about this dealing with my current dealer as he couldn't give me an answer when I asked if they're going to sell over MSRP.

Hopefully this is true, huge win.

Their is a law in the province of Quebec that states…

https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/consumer/good-service/vehicle/car-purchase/new-car/advertising/

Advertising an All-inclusive Price

Merchants advertising the price of a vehicle are required to advertise an "all inclusive" price.
What is an "all inclusive" price?
The "all inclusive" price corresponds to the total amount you will have to pay to obtain the vehicle advertised. It cannot be raised, unless other products or services are added at your request.
This rule applies everywhere, in all types of advertising: newspapers or flyers, on billboards, on television, on the radio, on the Internet, etc.
If the merchant charges you a price that differs from the advertised price, you are entitled to demand to pay the advertised price.
Fees included in the price
The advertised price must include:
  • new vehicle transport, preparation and delivery fees;
  • the excise tax on air conditioners;
  • administration fees.
You cannot avoid paying these fees: they must therefore be included in the advertised price.
Fees excluded from the price
Merchants may exclude from the advertised price fees that you must pay, but that will later be remitted to a public authority. This is the case for:
  • Quebec sales tax (QST);
  • the goods and services tax (GST);
  • the specific duty on new tires.
Composition of the advertised price
The items that make up the advertised price must be indicated. However, the total price of the vehicle must be mentioned in a clearer manner than the items included in the price.
When financing is offered, credit fees are generally charged. Merchants are not obligated to include these fees in the advertised price, which is in fact the cash price of the vehicle.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Their is a law in the province of Quebec that states…

https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/consumer/good-service/vehicle/car-purchase/new-car/advertising/

Advertising an All-inclusive Price

Merchants advertising the price of a vehicle are required to advertise an "all inclusive" price.
What is an "all inclusive" price?
The "all inclusive" price corresponds to the total amount you will have to pay to obtain the vehicle advertised. It cannot be raised, unless other products or services are added at your request.
This rule applies everywhere, in all types of advertising: newspapers or flyers, on billboards, on television, on the radio, on the Internet, etc.
If the merchant charges you a price that differs from the advertised price, you are entitled to demand to pay the advertised price.
Fees included in the price
The advertised price must include:
  • new vehicle transport, preparation and delivery fees;
  • the excise tax on air conditioners;
  • administration fees.
You cannot avoid paying these fees: they must therefore be included in the advertised price.
Fees excluded from the price
Merchants may exclude from the advertised price fees that you must pay, but that will later be remitted to a public authority. This is the case for:
  • Quebec sales tax (QST);
  • the goods and services tax (GST);
  • the specific duty on new tires.
Composition of the advertised price
The items that make up the advertised price must be indicated. However, the total price of the vehicle must be mentioned in a clearer manner than the items included in the price.
When financing is offered, credit fees are generally charged. Merchants are not obligated to include these fees in the advertised price, which is in fact the cash price of the vehicle.
Yeah same rule in Alberta. It won't stop any dealer markups but it just means the price has to be included, they can't add it on afterwards to the already advertised price, is what I get from it

Truz66

First Name
Truz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
On the Toyota.ca site with the Canadian prices shown, it has the footnote:

*NOTE: Vehicle Price includes MSRP/Freight PDI/AC charge/maximum Dealer fees/maximum other fees and charges, and excludes taxes, license, insurance and registration.

hopefully, dealers don’t use the used vehicle trick, this states the price includes maximum dealer or other fees
Sponsored