Trying to get a new Tacoma sucks!

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Did you try in Ohio? I see that you're from Indy. There are 3 around me that are MSRP. I think Toyota Direct in Columbus is MSRP as well, but I could be wrong. Actually, just checked. They are discounting them. Might be worth a ride to Columbus. That's what, 3 hours to you I think?

https://www.toyotadirect.com/searchall.aspx?Year=2024&Make=Toyota&Model=Tacoma
Fairly sure all the Toyota dealers in Columbus are MSRP because we have 4 of them so they have to compete. Mine came from Germain Toyota which is absolutely MSRP.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
Old news dude.
To you maybe. To the OP who knows. I think Ruissimo was just trying to help. Posting crap like you did….not so much. Notice how everyone else is trying to contribute to the thread except you "dude"?

Last edited:

FirstTimeTruckBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
These sorts of things are why I'm waiting for inventory to build up and to save more cash. With interest rates holding for the foreseeable future I think the Tacoma will sell but not as well as in the past. The new high price plus higher rates makes it unaffordable for many people. That is a good thing for those who are patient. No way in hell I'm taking a loan out right now. All cash or nothing. If we're lucky, there may be better deals in 6 months or so, but I'm not holding my breath for that.
This is exactly my line of thinking. With early production delays and the QC holds, dealership inventory near me is very low right now, especially if you want a TRD OR. I’m patient and will likely wait until the Fall, when inventory should be better and there might even be incentives for the 2024s to make room for the 2025 model. I’m planning on paying all cash, given the crappy interest rates right now.

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
These sorts of things are why I'm waiting for inventory to build up and to save more cash. With interest rates holding for the foreseeable future I think the Tacoma will sell but not as well as in the past. The new high price plus higher rates makes it unaffordable for many people.
Tundras additionally suffer from being ugly, but they also have the high price/high interest rate combo. Sales numbers were pretty bad until they started doing significant discounts and 0% financing. I’d think Tacomas would have a larger market, especially at first, but wouldn’t be surprised if they were also being discounted heavily later this year after the waitlist of ppl that frequent tacoma forums is exhausted.

First Name
Another
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2001
Tundras additionally suffer from being ugly, but they also have the high price/high interest rate combo. Sales numbers were pretty bad until they started doing significant discounts and 0% financing. I’d think Tacomas would have a larger market, especially at first, but wouldn’t be surprised if they were also being discounted heavily later this year after the waitlist of ppl that frequent tacoma forums is exhausted.
I would be very happy if this happened! Inflation is still high-ish and rates are likely to hold for some time. After the initial rush of buyers I'm betting sales slump enough Toyota will sweeten things to move trucks. If this doesn't happen and I can avoid a loan I will be happy though.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I’m in Canada. I have to wait a few months but I didn’t have the same experience as you. I paid the internet price and got exactly what I wanted.

If you’re not getting what you want there are a lot of other decent midsized trucks on the market right now. Almost all of the manufacturers have redesigned their trucks in the last year. Go to one of them.

It’s how supply and demand works.

395North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Taco and 22 Jeep Rubicon
To you maybe. To the OP who knows. I think Ruissimo was just trying to help. Posting crap like you did….not so much. Notice how everyone else is trying to contribute to the thread except you "dude"?
Fact is there is nothing unique about the OP's frustration/situation. It's a tale old as time, seems he wanted to come here to ruminate on what is common practice.
You could be correct in that perhaps it's the OP's first time buying an in demand truck. But in speaking about contributing, what have you contributed?

Last edited:

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
In 2023 I spent the whole year trying to find what I wanted to replace my 2016 Colorado. I finally gave up and am trying again in 2024. I'd like to get a Tacoma Off Road , but the supply chain issues sure have changed the car buying process. I get a GM family discount and I can walk into any dealer with a price I get from the GM website, and I will get that exact price on the vehicle. Even when I've gone in and not told them I have the family discount, and tried to negotiate a price, the process has been so much easier than it's been with Toyotas this year.

Now in 2024, even with my GM discount, I still want to get a Tacoma as I think they have the better truck this year, and I'm willing to pay a few thousand more for that. I've gone to multiple Toyota dealers in my area, and for the most part the experience has been horrible. There is no interest in negotiating anything, not trade in value, not vehicle price, nothing. The dealers here have no interest in doing anything other than selling something that isn't selling well. I've heard something different from every sales person I've talked to. Most dealers here are selling with the ADM fee of 4-5K over MSRP. They do not care in the least if you aren't willing to pay that, they aren't going to negotiate on anything.

I've had to call a lot of dealers to find a small number that have been willing to tell me they will sell for MSRP, most of those have been out of state and 200+ miles from me. I was told by one dealer that was charging 5K over MSRP, on a vehicle with a build date in June, that they could call and get the color changed to what I wanted. I still wasn't going to pay over MSRP. I called another dealer that had something closer to what I wanted, in the build phase, and they said that Toyota is no longer accepting color changes at all, once the orders are submitted.

It's total BS. The trucks going to the lots around here are optioned out, almost all over 50K, and a lot of dealers are adding their own crap to that, tacking on another 2K or so. So far after weeks of visiting dealers and calling dealers going out as far as 300 miles, I've found only one dealer that is making any effort to get me a truck at MSRP. They said they'll search as far as 500-800 miles out, and try to get one delivered, but I still don't have confidence they'll find what I'm looking for or be able to get another dealer to give up a vehicle. Another dealer more than 250 miles aways is selling at MSRP and they said they'd let me know when they get their next allocation.

I've got 190K on my truck and a pile of cash that I've been sitting on for years now, to buy pretty much anything I want...and honestly I don't think any dealer really cares to take my money, demand is that high and supply is that low. Are most people really fine with spending 50K or more for a vehicle and not caring if it's a color they don't really like, or is missing options they really want or includes a lot that they don't want? The dealers sure seem to act that way. I mean I had dealers trying to talk me into SR5's or Sports they had on the lot, and I'm thinking it's nuts that I'm walking in wanting an Off road and they are trying to sell me something cheaper because that's all they have on the lot. I don't want to keep waiting, but at this point, I'm starting to think I might be waiting until 2025. I'm certainly not paying 5K above MSRP for any vehicle, nor spending 50K for something not even really close to what I want. Glad to see others are having more success than I am but I'm so frustrated with this whole process.
It certainly is easier if you reserved one earlier man. But, do me a favor, send me a private message and I’ll set you up with some contacts that will help you find one at or below MSRP.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fact is there is nothing unique about the OP's frustration/situation. It's a tale old as time, seems he wanted to come here to ruminate on what is common practice.
You could be correct in that perhaps it's the OP's first time buying an in demand truck. But in speaking about contributing, what have you contributed son?
Click on ridetime and do some reading. The answer will be obvious. I did that with you but it didn't take long. This is a 4th gen Tacoma forum. Do you own a 4th gen or plan to soon? There are plenty of Jeep and old Tacoma forums that might be a better fit. But it seems your interest is being a troll so keep on trolling I guess.

395North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Taco and 22 Jeep Rubicon
Click on ridetime and do some reading. The answer will be obvious. I did that with you but it didn't take long. This is a 4th gen Tacoma forum. Do you own a 4th gen or plan to soon? There are plenty of Jeep and old Tacoma forums that might be a better fit. But it seems your interest is being a troll so keep on trolling I guess.
Boomer talk..we are discussing this thread and your contribution since you called me out. Nada.
I am on those forums you outlined so save your breath. As far as 4th gen taco, yes, I plan on buying one, but conventional wisdom points to not buying first MY so some of the bugs can be worked out, much like your grille shutter.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boomer talk..we are discussing this thread and your contribution since you called me out. Nada.
I am on those forums you outlined so save your breath. As far as 4th gen taco, yes, I plan on buying one, but conventional wisdom points to not buying first MY so some of the bugs can be worked out, much like your grille shutter.
Hahah getting personal now are we? Yeah I think you should wait....a long time so the bugs are worked out. Just like all the 23 owners that bought the last production year of the 3rd gen. You would think the "bugs" would be worked out after a 9 year run but....

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-recalls-certain-2022-and-2023-toyota-tacoma-trucks/

And

The grill shutter is a common problem on many Toyota's new and old. Not unique to 4th gen Tacoma.

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/malfunction-detedcted-in-the-grill-shutter-system.1648686/

https://priuschat.com/threads/grill-shutter-inoperative.224378/

https://www.tundras.com/threads/par...on-grill-shutter-malfunction-and-more.121676/

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By the way nice Jeep! You have something in common with a Boomer!

2024 Tacoma Trying to get a new Tacoma sucks! IMG_2189