Sponsored

sirvickayc

First Name
Vickayc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Hey guys, I am new here and planning to order the 2024 Tacoma offroad (first truck/new vehicle). Please I do have a few questions for those in Canada who have put a deposit down towards a pre-order. Is it usual for a dealership to run a credit check on you at the time you put a nominal deposit down towards a pre-order or it's something that should come later (at the point of sale)? I visited a dealership and I was informed that a credit check was required in addition to the deposit and another may be done subsequently if orders are delayed indefinitely. My concern is that I am interested in reaching out to multiple dealerships to ensure I am able to get the truck in my desired trim considering all the Toyota allocation challenges - and if each dealership has to run a credit check, then it would not be fun. For those who have gone through this process in the past, how did you manage this process? Thanks!
Sponsored

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Hey guys, I am new here and planning to order the 2024 Tacoma offroad (first truck/new vehicle). Please I do have a few questions for those in Canada who have put a deposit down towards a pre-order. Is it usual for a dealership to run a credit check on you at the time you put a nominal deposit down towards a pre-order or it's something that should come later (at the point of sale)? I visited a dealership and I was informed that a credit check was required in addition to the deposit and another may be done subsequently if orders are delayed indefinitely. My concern is that I am interested in reaching out to multiple dealerships to ensure I am able to get the truck in my desired trim considering all the Toyota allocation challenges - and if each dealership has to run a credit check, then it would not be fun. For those who have gone through this process in the past, how did you manage this process? Thanks!
Do not let them run a credit check, absolutely not. That's the first I'm hearing of that. If they run a credit check now, and then another in February-may that's going to put two inquiries on your credit report, it'll only hurt you. My dealer put "non-refundable pending approval" on my reservation request meaning when the time comes and they run my credit, if I'm not approved I'll get my deposit back. I'm not worried about getting approved, but it's a good faik safe to have. I suggest finding a new dealer potentially

Edit: unless it's a soft credit check, if they do a soft check the first time vs hard then you're fine. No inquiries will be placed on your credit report for a soft check.

sirvickayc

First Name
Vickayc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Do not let them run a credit check, absolutely not. That's the first I'm hearing of that. If they run a credit check now, and then another in February-may that's going to put two inquiries on your credit report, it'll only hurt you. My dealer put "non-refundable pending approval" on my reservation request meaning when the time comes and they run my credit, if I'm not approved I'll get my deposit back. I'm not worried about getting approved, but it's a good faik safe to have. I suggest finding a new dealer potentially

Edit: unless it's a soft credit check, if they do a soft check the first time vs hard then you're fine. No inquiries will be placed on your credit report for a soft check.
Thank you for replying. About the non-refundable pending approval, I’m assuming it’s the case that if the dealership doesn’t get you your desired trim within a reasonable time you can seek to have your deposit returned?

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Thank you for replying. About the non-refundable pending approval, I’m assuming it’s the case that if the dealership doesn’t get you your desired trim within a reasonable time you can seek to have your deposit returned?
No, I'm willing to wait most of next year for what I want. I put it in there as a failsafe, in today's economy you have no idea what can happen. I'd hate to fall on down times, take a credit hit and not get approved and then suddenly I'm out $1000 too lol

sirvickayc

First Name
Vickayc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
No, I'm willing to wait most of next year for what I want. I put it in there as a failsafe, in today's economy you have no idea what can happen. I'd hate to fall on down times, take a credit hit and not get approved and then suddenly I'm out $1000 too lol
Makes sense! Thanks again

crreyes18

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Finally decided to call around got on a waitlist at a dealership about 40 minutes away from Town as my local dealers love ADM. Waitlisted for a TRD Off Road in Bronze Oxide MSRP. and no deposit

evlfred

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tundra Plat
Put down my deposit for a Limited Hybrid Long Box (not sure the color yet, but liking the bronze if thats an option)

TacoTraveler

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Put down a $500 refundable deposit in June for the TRD Pro at MSRP pricing at one of my local dealerships. Reached out for an update today. Looks like there's 115 people ahead of me on the list and was told that production for the Pro most likely won't begin until summer 2024.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Put down a $500 refundable deposit in June for the TRD Pro at MSRP pricing at one of my local dealerships. Reached out for an update today. Looks like there's 115 people ahead of me on the list and was told that production for the Pro most likely won't begin until summer 2024.
All trims with hybrid motor won't start production till spring (April I believe) 2024. Rest of line begins Nov/Dec this yr.

Subwire

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Offroad
I'm still looking for a dealership around Norcal that is taking deposits for the PRO, I've called a few and they don't have clue or don't do deposits on vehicles that aren't on the lot. Also called a couple out of state dealers but those dont sell outside the state.

RaskyR1

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ram 1500, '91 Toyota MR2 Turbo, '22 Ducati
Just put a deposit down on a TRD Pro. I requested "Terra" for the color but it wasn't an option on the tracking form here.

TacoTraveler

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I'm still looking for a dealership around Norcal that is taking deposits for the PRO, I've called a few and they don't have clue or don't do deposits on vehicles that aren't on the lot. Also called a couple out of state dealers but those dont sell outside the state.
Toyota of Oakland is. They only sell at MSRP also, but when I called in June, their waitlist was getting really long. $1000 deposit there for the Pro I believe. Was deciding to choose between them and Longo in SoCal for waitlist. But went with Longo instead since it's more local to me.

Drew

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Niro, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Just entered my info. Got onto a waitlist with Edmark Toyota of Nampa, ID. There's a good chance I'll switch to Peterson Toyota of Boise, but Edmark is putting people on a list without deposits (Peterson wants $1000, nonrefundable). They don't know if they'll be adding markups, though, which is annoying.

Told them I wanted Limited or TRD Sport Premium in blue, orange, or red, so I just picked Limited and one of those colors on this survey. I've already forgotten which color.
Sponsored