Sponsored

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
Well it's confirmed with press release and teasers.

Overlanders Rejoice! Introducing the All-New 2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
April 11, 2023

PLANO, Texas (April 11, 2023) – Developed from the ground up for those seeking extended adventures, Tacoma Trailhunter will build upon Toyota’s legendary off-road and overlanding credibility with purpose-built engineering and robust components. Stay tuned for more.

"Trailhunter Trucks Will Be Purpose-Built Overlanding Rigs with Authentic Performance Straight from Toyota" 👍 -- see:

https://pressroom.toyota.com/trailhunter-concept-previews-new-grade-of-toyota-trucks-at-sema-show/

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota...cles-and-more-performance-fun-and-excitement/

2024 Tacoma 2024 Trailhunter Tacoma (Overlanding Trim) Confirmed! Latest Teasers Released by Toyota my24-tacoma-th-teaser-002-6434638a90272

2024 Tacoma 2024 Trailhunter Tacoma (Overlanding Trim) Confirmed! Latest Teasers Released by Toyota my24-tacoma-th-teaser-001-6434634e38bd0
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for fixing post Admin!

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Thought I was getting a TRD pro, maybe not. If these things have weight carrying upgrades as Toyota hinted to I am all in.

I suspected the tow hook issue was being resolved via one of their upper trims, which is the goofiest way to go about something so simple. bumper looks to be fairly high clearance so it will be interesting to see what they are doing here. Parts of that bumper look plastic but ARB has such exceptional finishes in their products, so I could be wrong.

front headlights look cool. Definitely see the cooling system hiding in there like the big brothers. Front fenders looks pretty wide as we saw in spy photos, which either means these things are going to be either a mid/long travel or just have massive tires, as far as Toyotas go. probably a 33 but can squeeze a 35.

I mentioned in a past video that because Expedition Overland announced they were switching to 35s on all their vehicles made me really suspect the next Gen stuff would fit them with much less work. There’s no way Clay Croft isn’t working with Toyota on these, and if the ability to fit larger tires is coming down the line he has been getting his fleet ready for it. His brand is the poster child of Toyotas off road lineup.

Jeeper Defector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Jeep JT Gladiator

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 14 JKUR
Since the rear bumper is an ARB, I would expect the same for the front. Style-wise, they're not my favorite, but they're actually crash engineered and tested.

ToyTrucker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Well it's confirmed with press release and teasers.

Overlanders Rejoice! Introducing the All-New 2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
April 11, 2023

PLANO, Texas (April 11, 2023) – Developed from the ground up for those seeking extended adventures, Tacoma Trailhunter will build upon Toyota’s legendary off-road and overlanding credibility with purpose-built engineering and robust components. Stay tuned for more.

"Trailhunter Trucks Will Be Purpose-Built Overlanding Rigs with Authentic Performance Straight from Toyota" 👍 -- see:

https://pressroom.toyota.com/trailhunter-concept-previews-new-grade-of-toyota-trucks-at-sema-show/

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota...cles-and-more-performance-fun-and-excitement/

my24-tacoma-th-teaser-002-6434638a90272.jpg

my24-tacoma-th-teaser-001-6434634e38bd0.jpg
ARB steel bumper from the factory! This one will be hard for me to resist.

Hopefully the ADM markup won't insane.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota, Jeep
I’d be nervous regarding price if I were a prospective buyer. However, comes equipped from factory, therefore, parts are included under factory warranty is a plus. Maybe this trim level will cool the prices of the TRD Pro and even TRD OR/ Sport trim levels.

2TR-FE

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma SR5 - 2023 Corolla LE
My nose will probably bleed at the price but I want one. The stamped font of the Tacoma script on the tailgate looks like the current 3rd gen

Rincon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry, 1984 Chevrolet C10
My first post to the forum, but after following the Trailhunter and 4th Gen development for the last few months I am here after seeing the press release today to include the addition of factory ARB equipped trucks. That’s just cool. I am definitely intrigued at the Trailhunter vs TRD Pro differences in both equipment and price. Looking forward to reveal day.

Dr. Carmaker1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 TRD Pro 6MT, multiple vehicles (20+)
@JLD94 would be interesting as a forum moderator, in being very on top of posting new content here.

As for the Trail Hunter, I consider to be an alternative to the TRD Pro in the same way Tremor is?

I'm surprised at some commenters on other sites, being shocked that this looks like the BEV concept of 2021. A never before seen design that looked production ready as that vehicle did in 2021, was obviously a real truck in mockup form. Some cynical types dismissed it, but it was too obvious to miss.

It was the most bold move I've seen from an automaker with a segment leading product. Being so confident, as to reveal the design of an all-new segment leader of yours, 2 model years away from release. I've never seen that ever, but Toyota definitely did that and are dragging their feet now, feeling they already gave you an advance look at it 2 years early. GM is the only automaker, who kept their midsize truck closest to vest.

Looks quite good though, but I'm about to bow out and tune out this truck until something tangible comes forward in terms of a reveal.

OP
OP

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JLD94 would be interesting as a forum moderator, in being very on top of posting new content here.

As for the Trail Hunter, I consider to be an alternative to the TRD Pro in the same way Tremor is?

I'm surprised at some commenters on other sites, being shocked that this looks like the BEV concept of 2021. A never before seen design that looked production ready as that vehicle did in 2021, was obviously a real truck in mockup form. Some cynical types dismissed it, but it was too obvious to miss.

It was the most bold move I've seen from an automaker with a segment leading product. Being so confident, as to reveal the design of an all-new segment leader of yours, 2 model years away from release. I've never seen that ever, but Toyota definitely did that and are dragging their feet now, feeling they already gave you an advance look at it 2 years early. GM is the only automaker, who kept their midsize truck closest to vest.

Looks quite good though, but I'm about to bow out and tune out this truck until something tangible comes forward in terms of a reveal.
Thanks but I just happen to be in the right place at the right time and wouldn't have time to take anything else on. If indeed the Tacoma comes out and it is all I am hoping (do not like the current one) I will buy one and probably be here for a while. On the flip side, if it's not and I purchase something else I would imagine my time here would start dwindling. I'm curious about the Ranger as well and hopes that it will have larger than current back seat and MPG hybrid version like the Maverick.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I'm curious about the Ranger as well and hopes that it will have larger than current back seat and MPG hybrid version like the Maverick.
Curious as to what you want in a "larger" seat? Wider; more legroom? I'm 6'0" and have no problem riding in the back of the current Ranger. Not as comfortable as fullsize, but more than acceptable for a midsize. Unfortunately, I believe you're hoping for something that won't happen, as the 6g is going to be pretty much exactly as what is released overseas and the 6g rear seat is the same as the 5g. There may be subtle differences in some features of the truck with the NA version, but they're not going reconfigure the cab and/or interior dimensions. The big disappointment with the rear seat is it's functionality, as in it doesn't lay flat and doesn't flip up tight enough to the cab wall. That's a huge gripe for many with the 5g and really surprising Ford didn't change it.

OP
OP

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious as to what you want in a "larger" seat? Wider; more legroom? I'm 6'0" and have no problem riding in the back of the current Ranger. Not as comfortable as fullsize, but more than acceptable for a midsize. Unfortunately, I believe you're hoping for something that won't happen, as the 6g is going to be pretty much exactly as what is released overseas and the 6g rear seat is the same as the 5g. There may be subtle differences in some features of the truck with the NA version, but they're not going reconfigure the cab and/or interior dimensions. The big disappointment with the rear seat is it's functionality, as in it doesn't lay flat and doesn't flip up tight enough to the cab wall. That's a huge gripe for many with the 5g and really surprising Ford didn't change it.
I mainly mean legroom. My ideal would be 38-40" of legroom in the rear. They are plenty wide.... I just don't want people in the back seat to feel like their legs are pushed into the back of the seat. I get it that there are probably things I don't get about why they can't seem to do it, but I don't understand how the midsize trucks have have worse legroom than most other things out there. CUV's have more.

I have not sat in a current ranger since shortly after they came out, but I feel like the Maverick has more legroom than it....however I have only been able to sit in a Maverick for a few minutes. I tried to order one, but was informed the dealer took to many orders and by then the order banks were closed to try anywhere else.

You may be right.... I may be hoping for something that is not going to happen, but it seems they can certainly package/engineer it so there is some more room without changing the dimensions much.

I have not sat in the new GM twins, which I love the looks of.... but how do they increase the wheelbase 3 inches and add an inch overall but lose an inch in the rear seat in the process?? Doesn't make sense.... but it doesn't make sense to me either that it gets worse MPG, other than they weren't worried about it at all.

I want a 'truck', but if the last two hopes for me don't pan out then I will look at other options. Maverick orders open July I think.... I may try to order again....

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I like the look of the twins also. I think the upcoming Taco looks a bit better, but the twins aren't far behind. I was suprised too, that the MPG was so poor. It's baffling as to why GM allowed the weight to increase so much.

The rear seat comfort in the Ranger may be better than you think. It's pretty good. Granted, I've personally never ridden back there, but I have had adults in the back many times and no ones ever complained, or even made mention of being uncomfortable. Four us took a 5hr trip recently and our friends were fine in the back.
If you're not overly concerned about "off-road" ability, then you should also look at the Honda. I was out of town for 5 months last year and rented nothing but midsize trucks. I had a Ranger, Canyon, Gladiator, Frontier and Ridgeline. The funny thing is; every time I rented, I ordered a Tacoma and that was the only truck I didn't get. :LOL: Honestly, out of the bunch, I was most impressed with the Honda. It had the largest bed, drove the nicest, and had the best storage and usability by far. Granted, it is larger than the rest, but still noticeably smaller than a fullsize and the extra size wasn't apparent when driving or parking.

Edit: I should clarify that if everyone is 6', someone's going to be short on legroom in the Ranger. When we took the 5hr trip, the person behind me was 5'7". I moved my seat ahead an 1" and we were both fine, but I could have left my seat as-is and she still would of been good. The other person was about my size and he sat behind my wife.
Sponsored

Last edited: