Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Installed the Redtiger F7N with interior rear camera in mine tonight and I'm very happy with it so far. good image even on the rear with minimal lighting. Also very small and tucked up nicely by the rearview mirror so it's not intrusive at all.

It's not direct wired yet but I will get it wired eventually so it can also do the parking monitor.

2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712976479303

In an area with no lighting at all, it adjusted and still managed to get a vague image behind me.
2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1712976462359

2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 20240412_225205

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
@Drakka01 there's basically no room to spare behind the fusebox.
As someone that seems to be very electronics savvy, do you have any info regarding the pre wired accessory switches? I have a V1 that I'm going to try to stealth install somewhere and will want to have it on a switch to easily turn on/off.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As someone that seems to be very electronics savvy, do you have any info regarding the pre wired accessory switches? I have a V1 that I'm going to try to stealth install somewhere and will want to have it on a switch to easily turn on/off.
I haven't investigated them yet. My truck did come with some pigtails to connect to them so it's something I intend to look into.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: My 5-pin adapter from @Dongar arrived today. Super simple install and works flawlessly so I was able to remove the cord running to the 12v "cigarette lighter" outlet.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, some glare off the dash onto the window that the Redtiger F7N picks up when it's sunny. Not surprising because it doesn't sit against the glass or have a shroud around it. It's mostly around the corners of the video (like the JBL speaker shows up in the lower right) so is just mildly annoying, not problematic. Still, once I'm confident I'm at the final install position, I'll probably design a 3d printed shroud to stop reflection of the dash onto the glass right in front of the lens.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the switches are Ignition-On only, not surprisingly. This means they aren't useful for a camera with parking monitor mode. They do appear to have low-voltage/charge auto disconnect so you can't run your battery too low to start the truck in case of using it with ignition on but engine off.
Aux1 = 15A on the black wire of all pigtails.
Aux2 = 10A on green wire
Aux3 = 5A on white wire
There is 1 connector in the engine compartment and 1 in the cabin above the driver footwell.
So you just connect to the appropriate wire on the pigtail for which switch/fuse you want to use.

These are A and B below. C and D are non-switched on their own fuse under the rear seat.

2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1713040486883

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
So the switches are Ignition-On only, not surprisingly. This means they aren't useful for a camera with parking monitor mode. They do appear to have low-voltage/charge auto disconnect so you can't run your battery too low to start the truck in case of using it with ignition on but engine off.
Aux1 = 15A on the black wire of all pigtails.
Aux2 = 10A on green wire
Aux3 = 5A on white wire
There is 1 connector in the engine compartment and 1 in the cabin above the driver footwell.
So you just connect to the appropriate wire on the pigtail for which switch/fuse you want to use.

These are A and B below. C and D are non-switched on their own fuse under the rear seat.

1713040486883.png
I wonder what the point of having D always on would be? Seems like a logical place for bed lighting/camp lighting accessories that would work well on a switch. Maybe the intention is adding a switch at the rear to use it while back there?

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The manual actually calls that one "non-powered" so maybe it's just wiring and a fuse but not actually connected anywhere? That would mean they just put the harness in so you can use it for whatever you need to get between the front and the rear.
Not sure. Would need to get a multimeter on it to figure out for sure and at this point, I have no use for it so can't be bothered to go to the effort.

Dongar

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Installed the rear camera on the BlacVue DR970X-2CH, then added a USB-A to USB-C+MicroUSB splitter to power my Radenso DS1 and Garmin Mini 2!
2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1713418237530

The coaxial rearcam cable included with the BlackVue is super neat to tuck into the headliner, and right under the A & B pillars! The cable has a good 3'+ of excess length but there's plenty of room underneath the mirror shroud to hide it:

2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1713418200408

BlackVue placed on driver's side because of sliding rear window:
2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma 1713418256180

So current setup is:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruissimo

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Nice setup! I love my Blackvue, and only wish it was easier to download footage.

Dongar

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Quick demo of our 10-pin Type B adapters, restocking this week! This version turns on with vehicle ignition. Upcoming parking mode adapter comes with 5-pin, 10-pin, and 12-pin pigtails to allow installation in all 4g Tacomas, and most 3g!

Sponsored