2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
The irony meter is pegged with your post, lol.
What I like about the forum is for all of us prospective owners and current owners being able to share and discuss new information, thoughts, builds, photos, questions, etc. The continued pricing complaints on many of these (non-pricing) related threads is not helpful or new information, it's noise. I posted this because I am getting annoyed having to sift through many of these otherwise helpful threads with the commentary about pricing complaints that often snowballs. This was not to start anything, but just an observation/PSA. Like hey, let's move on from pricing complaints. Call it ironic if you want, but that was the intent.
Sponsored

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
The continued pricing complaints on many of these (non-pricing) related threads is not helpful or new information, it's noise. I posted this because I am getting annoyed having to sift through
I mean, "Hybrids just add complexity" is repeated over and over, shows up in random threads, doesn't add new information, and isn't helpful either.. but it never occurred to me to tell everyone it was now off limits just because I had made up my own mind about the issue and therefore was experiencing a minor annoyance.

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I could care less about folks complaining about pricing. I do support flagging of dealers that mark em up, we need to keep wind of that.

I scored my TRD Sport 6MT at $44,200, so I had room to add goodies like level kit and new 265/70 BFG ko2's. Yes it all costs more but that is what happens with out-of-control government spending and no sound fiscal policy regarding oversight of the Treasury Dept. WE get massive inflation with wages staying pretty flat.

I have a credit score of 877 and could not get better than 6.99%. If you are complaining about pricing, then you probably cannot afford these trucks or premium models.

Spitfiredude

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Tacoma TRD PRO
877 credit score. Must be some new models… jk… people complaining about people complaining which causes more people complaining. I bought a 22 TRD Pro at $48.5 MSRP. I did this because (1) I knew the price would go up & (2) I hate all the tech they’re putting in vehicles. I still had a deposit down at a dealer for a Pro, but was not too keen on the looks & added upgrades (with exception of suspension/power). Once I saw the price, I pulled my deposit (Wednesday). It is what it is. I’ll buy a Raptor or Tundra TRD Pro moving forward & be done with mid size in 3-4 years anyway. Unfortunately, I do feel like some people got shafted here, but like you said, they knew what was coming (maybe not the extent) & still have other options. People should have bought a 3rd gen if they really wanted pricing the same & not a 4 cylinder.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
877 credit score. Must be some new models… jk… people complaining about people complaining which causes more people complaining. I bought a 22 TRD Pro at $48.5 MSRP. I did this because (1) I knew the price would go up & (2) I hate all the tech they’re putting in vehicles. I still had a deposit down at a dealer for a Pro, but was not too keen on the looks & added upgrades (with exception of suspension/power). Once I saw the price, I pulled my deposit (Wednesday). It is what it is. I’ll buy a Raptor or Tundra TRD Pro moving forward & be done with mid size in 3-4 years anyway. Unfortunately, I do feel like some people got shafted here, but like you said, they knew what was coming (maybe not the extent) & still have other options. People should have bought a 3rd gen if they really wanted pricing the same & not a 4 cylinder.
I was watching a YouTuber do a sit down w/Sheldon last summer and they ballparked $65k for the PRO and Sheldon dead-pan stared at him and didn’t say a word. I thought to myself, that’s a hefty price tag, probably what it’ll cost and moved on with my relentless work schedule & life thinking how expensive everything is.

In the early 1980’s when my dad bought his Toyota van, that thing - adjusted for inflation- was a racket at the time too. The era of zerp and low cost to capital is over for the foreseeable future as long as you have 19 year olds who don’t work and expect crypto to make them millionaires by sitting in their asses doing nothing.

GRKTRD

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma
I paid 50k for my truck but that’s about it. Pretty happy with it for the most part. Would consider the bump to premium hybrid maybe. But to be honest the pro after looking at it for 65k serves no purpose to me. I don’t really off-road or have time anymore anyways. If I want to go fast and look cooler I’ll take my other car

granted I did have 2 r8s in my town home the other day till the black one finally sold. My Tacoma and the yellow are what I roll with. I’ve been driving Tacomas since 2014. Personally I’d go Ranger raptor over the pro. Better shocks vetter performance. At this current moment no one can say how this power train is going to do at 100k miles. I mean I’ve had a check engine light since 980 miles with the stupid shutter system. The 3.0 also in the bronco raptor which I had was solid. In the Ranger raptor probably hauls ass
2024 Tacoma Pricing: Can we please get over it or move on? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] IMG_2925

Last edited:

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
65k pros even at that price won’t sit on the lots long. Is it top of the market? Yep! Toyota isn’t dumb they are probably going to sell more than ever! Just not to the avg Joe!

HCTacoFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
All, I hate to create yet another thread or post about pricing but I feel it's necessary. Yes, this is long, feel free to ignore.

The pricing for the halos should come as no surprise to anyone on this forum. When they released the non-hybrid pricing it was a significant bump over prior generations. At that point for those that are price conscious or unhappy with the pricing, instead of complaining about it should be looking at alternatives. If after looking at all the other options the 4th gen Taco still had its appeal, then great it's worth it and we just need to accept it. Bitching about it (for lack of better terms) changes absolutely nothing. It is what it is. If you don't like it choose a different make/model. It's that simple.

In the past a truck was a truck was a truck. That is no longer the case. This used to be the same with cars as well. Think about any earlier Hyundai's or Kia's. They were basically a crappy throw away car. Now the Kia Stinger as an example is practically a competitor with my Audi S5 and has a pretty high price tag and an incredible level of refinement (Hyundai Genesis is another good example). My point is that all vehicles are over engineered now and I think it's worth noting that these are 100% in that category. This is not a 2nd or 3rd gen Taco. As much as I would love to see a lower sticker price it's higher for a reason. Yes for Toyota to make a profit, which is needed to stay in business, keep investors happy, etc. But also because they have re-engineered every single element of the truck.

Last part of the rant. They are higher than "competitors" in some cases. Key word "some" cases. The mid size truck market is highly differentiated and in my opinion Toyota is in its own category in a lot of ways. Do the basic models compete with basic models of other manufacturers, sure. Do the halo's compete with halos of other manufacturers, maybe. Look across the full lineup. Toyota has by far the largest number of models to fit literally any mid size truck buyers needs/wants/desires. They kind of created the segment and definitely control it in some ways. Others are building new halos to inch closer to Toyota. If the Pro/TH pricing blows you away, get an outfitted OR or a different make/model. As a consumer now you have arguably too many options but that's great because you don't have to go with any particular brand. Think of this, if the "competition" was the exact same price would many of you still be looking at the alternatives? If so I'm not sure why you joined a Toyota forum haha. I would argue absolutely not based on what I'm seeing here. In other words the competition almost has to be less to even be considered in many (not all) cases. Toyota has a huge fan base, especially for the Tacoma/4runner. There are many reasons for this and while the new pricing is a bit of a tough pill to swallow I would put money on it that the "competition" will inch closer in the next few years. Toyota has unfortunately set a new benchmark in pricing and fortunately a new benchmark in engineering, quality, standard features, etc.

I have really enjoyed this forum and find a ton of great info on here, lots of people sharing super helpful insight on their new trucks, bringing issues to everyones attention, and bouncing a lot of ideas off each other. I would just ask that we all take a deep breath on pricing. If you find it insane, crazy, too high, bonkers, whatever word you choose, that's ok. You are not handcuffed to Toyota. Or maybe you are and if that's the case let us know your location and we'll send help :)

Edit: @maxx075 brought up a good point about markups. I would personally never pay a markup nor recommend anyone buying from a dealer that does that. It's BS and I think it's disappointing that Toyota allows it. The only positive is that you do not have to buy from those stealerships. There's plenty of options out there to buy from dealers that don't do markups ever. It might require a drive or a bit more homework, but worth it over paying a dealer that's just taking advantage of you.
Alex,
A really, really good post. There is nothing I would disagree with what you re saying!

Am I happy about the situation? No, Am I more than annoyed with the prices? Yes. Am I really irritated that there is no ventilation fans for the 2nd row? In Texas, that is kind of a big deal! Really disappointed that Toyota -- HQed in Plano, TX missed that.

But it is what is it. I am looking at other vehicles, and at these price points, perhaps I will suck it up and get a Tundra. End of bitching :cool:

johnandri

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
MSRP is MSRP, nothing I can do about that.

What I DO NOT condone nor will support is any dealer adding markup or "market adjustment" because some of you idiots will gladly pay it.
I am literally purchasing a Tacoma Pro in Nebraska because all of the dealers I’ve been to here in the (not so) great state of New York are marking this vehicle up 10 to 15%. And they make no bones about it. They tell you right to your face. If you don’t like it, buy elsewhere! So to your point, not going to one of the “idiots!”

Last edited:

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I did my research. Decided what the best fit vehicle was for me. Compared the options and came to terms with the pricing.

It came down to the Tacoma sport plus and the GMC canyon AT4 for me. I’m downsizing from an F150 as my hauling kids around phase has more or less ended and I don’t need a full sized truck anymore. But still want a truck.

The GMC and Tacoma were within a couple of thousand dollars once you equalized everything so I’m not sure why Toyota is being singled out. In my mind the Tacoma was just a better truck after driving both.

As someone else said earlier. If you want pricing of goods and services to come down you’ll have to do something about the inflation rate in north america. That’s due to out of control government spending. So don’t blame Toyota or the other manufacturers. This isn’t their fault in my mind. It’s 100% the fault of incompetent political leadership in North America.

i bought an F150 in 2010 for $36K can. Same truck priced out now is $90K can. You tell me if that makes sense. This is a bigger problem than auto manufacturers chasing profits and probably the wrong forum to dissect it?

Everything is over priced these days. If you don’t like it talk to your elected officials.

Sorry for the rant. I’ll get off my soapbox now.

Last edited:

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
i bought an F150 in 2010 for $36K can. Same truck priced out now is $90K can. You tell me if that makes sense. This is a bigger problem that auto manufacturers chasing profits and probably the wrong forum to dissect it?

Everything is over priced these days. If you don’t like it talk to your elected officials.

Sorry for the rant. I’ll get off my soapbox now.
Got room for one more on your box? Lol

Yeah it’s such a mess dude. My last vehicle was something like 36k and now the same thing sells for 65k. It’s Bananas. This whole price increase thing is the awful result of several factors coming to fruition at once — including years of wage stagnation in the US. It sucks. I should be able to upgrade my vehicle every 10-15 years without issue and the only reason I can right now is because I was able to save a bit more (no kids) and honestly I got lucky with some stuff. Most of my colleagues aren’t in this position right now, and I work in a trade that pays pretty well all things considered. But that pay has definitely not kept up with the economy in recent years (even though the c suite dudes who run my field are raking in bonkers bonuses that defy logic every year while they nickle and dime me about routine things like reimbursing my driven mileage. Ugh).

anyway. I’m not really mad at Toyota specifically as much as I’m just annoyed at the whole situation in general. It’s a perfect storm of ridiculous.

*eta: you’re prob right in that this all extends well beyond this forum. It’s not the kinda set of issues that can be fixed easily by shifting one single element cus it’s being caused by multiple things going wrong at once.

Last edited:

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My thoughts on price are half the people complaining think they deserve 3x the feature of last gen at the same price. For example many price compare the 4th gen limited vs 4th gen. They are the same in name only. Old limited is a lipsticked SR5 lol

No one is requiring you to buy a TH or Pro. The 3rd gen pro is a joke compared to the 4th gen pro. There’s a reason for the price increase…. More tech, features etc

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
I am literally purchasing a Tacoma Pro in Nebraska because all of the dealers I’ve been to here in the (not so) great state of New York are marking this vehicle up 10 to 15%. And they make no bones about it. They tell you right to your face. If you don’t like it, buy elsewhere! So to your point, not going to one of the “idiots!”
Are you downstate? CNY there isn't going to be any markup...almost never is.

johnandri

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Are you downstate? CNY there isn't going to be any markup...almost never is.
L.I. I’ve spoken to two dealerships, including the one I’ve already purchased two Tundras in the past from.
Sponsored