Sponsored

Subwire

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Offroad
2024 Tacoma Spotted: 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro first wild sighting on the road! 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro 1
2024 Tacoma Spotted: 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro first wild sighting on the road! 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro 3
2024 Tacoma Spotted: 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro first wild sighting on the road! 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro 2
2024 Tacoma Spotted: 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro first wild sighting on the road! 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro 1 copy
2024 Tacoma Spotted: 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro first wild sighting on the road! 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro 3 copy

2024 TACOM TRD PRO SPECS / FEATURES
  • 326 HP / 465 LB-FT Torque
  • i-Force Max Hybrid 2.4L 4-Cyl turbo engine with 48v electric motor
  • 8 speed automatic transmission only (manual not available)
  • 5 foot bed (6 foot bed not available)
  • Wider fender flares
  • 3" wider track
  • Factory lift kit — 2" front and 1.5" rear
  • 33" Goodyear Territory R/T tires
  • 18: black TRD Pro wheels
  • 2.5" Fox internal bypass QS3 adjustable dampers with remote reservoir in rear
    • aluminum housings; hardened, oversize shock shafts
  • Fox IFP (internal floating piston) hydraulic bump stops
  • Coil springs
  • Electronic front stabilizer bar disconnect sway bar
    • disconnecting increases articulation in front by 10%, which makes the rear suspension flex 15% more
  • Red "TRD" forged aluminum upper control arms (UCA)
  • IsoDynamic Performance seat
  • Electronically activated rear locking differential
  • Aluminum front skidplate
  • Rigid LED foglamps
  • ARB steel rear bumper with red recovery hooks
Sponsored

Garemz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Acura MDX
Looking good can't wait for mine😎

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
It’s sad they just changed wheel offset for the extra width meaning suspension travel will be laughable versus the new ZR2 and Ranger Raptor. It’s the biggest miss in my opinion on what looks like a great truck otherwise. It just won’t be able to compete at high speed off-road with those two. Not to mention the 18 wheels with tires that they call 33s but that are significantly smaller than the 285/70/17 from the competition. I won’t even mention the lack off front locker.

It looks like we can’t have both off-road performance and reliability with those new mid size. One has to choose Toyota reliability or Ford/Chevy for real offroad performance. In both case you pay the premium..

Last edited:

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
It’s sad they used spacers for the extra width meaning suspension travel will be laughable versus the new ZR2 and Ranger Raptor. It’s the biggest miss in my opinion on what looks like a great truck otherwise. It just won’t be able to compete at high speed off-road with those two. Not to mention the 18 wheels with tires that they call 33s but that are significantly smaller than the 285/70/17 from the competition. I won’t even mention the lack off front locker.

It looks like we can’t have both off-road performance and reliability. One has to choose.
Agreed, they should have increased travel with longer arms/axel.. However width increase is wheel offset not spacers.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
good looking rigs, both inside & out. design & engineering nailed it for this gen.

Seen a lot of 3 gens with paper plates tho, they don't look too bad either. must be liquidating in anticipation for year's end...

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Agreed, they should have increased travel with longer arms/axel.. However width increase is wheel offset not spacers.
yeah I meant wheel offset. Same result for wheel travel unfortunately.

kbreese72

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0 SCrew 4x4
It’s sad they just changed wheel offset for the extra width meaning suspension travel will be laughable versus the new ZR2 and Ranger Raptor. It’s the biggest miss in my opinion on what looks like a great truck otherwise. It just won’t be able to compete at high speed off-road with those two. Not to mention the 18 wheels with tires that they call 33s but that are significantly smaller than the 285/70/17 from the competition. I won’t even mention the lack off front locker.

It looks like we can’t have both off-road performance and reliability with those new mid size. One has to choose Toyota reliability or Ford/Chevy for real offroad performance. In both case you pay the premium..
It all depends on your needs. Let's face it, most of us are not going to do extreme off-roading or baja racing. If that's your purpose then the ZR2 or RR probably will be a better choice. I mean the ZR2 has huge ground clearance and is just an awesome off-road truck.

But...did you look at the MPG of the ZR2? 16/16! Those big tires and that huge clearance, etc, are not exactly great when it comes to daily driving on-road efficiency/practicality. They will also make the truck slower. Then there's the reliability issues.

The new TRD Pro I think will be a very nice balance of off-road prowess AND daily driving & trip taking on-road practicality. It's rumored to get mid-20's on the highway. WAY more efficient than the ZR2. And that's with having more power and more torque! The tire sizes are a nice balance for off and on road. Not too small not too big. The truck should be faster than the ZR2. Also, I think the interior is nicer, and finally it should be quite a bit more reliable.

Many people want all the best off-road stuff, but spend 95% of the time on-road. There's a balance to be struck.

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
It all depends on your needs. Let's face it, most of us are not going to do extreme off-roading or baja racing. If that's your purpose then the ZR2 or RR probably will be a better choice. I mean the ZR2 has huge ground clearance and is just an awesome off-road truck.

But...did you look at the MPG of the ZR2? 16/16! Those big tires and that huge clearance, etc, are not exactly great when it comes to daily driving on-road efficiency/practicality. They will also make the truck slower. Then there's the reliability issues.

The new TRD Pro I think will be a very nice balance of off-road prowess AND daily driving & trip taking on-road practicality. It's rumored to get mid-20's on the highway. WAY more efficient than the ZR2. And that's with having more power and more torque! The tire sizes are a nice balance for off and on road. Not too small not too big. The truck should be faster than the ZR2. Also, I think the interior is nicer, and finally it should be quite a bit more reliable.

Many people want all the best off-road stuff, but spend 95% of the time on-road. There's a balance to be struck.
I do not agree with you at all.
First of all, Toyota already has a balanced version for the Tacoma, it’s called TRD off road. Toyota and their chief engineer themselves marketed the TRD-Pro as their “high speed Baja style off-roader”. They made it as a direct competition of the ZR2 and the RRaptor. Now you are trying to excuse their poor execution in the suspension department by saying it will have a better balance of on road? Like I said they have the TRD off road for that.

Secondly, you say who is really doing Baja racing? Well nobody, but that’s completely irrelevant. You see my Bronco has 35in tires and great suspensions, but I don’t use that to race competitions. I use that so when I drive 4 hours almost every Friday to go hiking, adventuring and camping in the western US, then have a 50 miles trail with a horrible mix of large washboards, whoops and ruts and wholes, I just have 1h extra to drive instead of 2h in a regular 4x4 and I make it on time to my camp before sunset. And trust me, I pass so many 4Runners and Tacoma TRD Pros on that kind of trail, there is just no competition. Not to mention they kill themselves on the washboards while I ride on a smooth cloud. Also not to mention that for some of the places I go, I definitely use the full capability of the vehicle. So you see, for a lot of us overlanders it’s not about Baja racing, it’s about covering ground much faster and with much better comfort and being able to access places few others can go to enjoy nature less crowded.

Third, you speak about Comfort being poor as a daily due to huge tires. My Bronco on 35 is so much more comfortable both on and off road than my best friend’s 2022 4Runner TRD Pro which has smaller tires and has the “better on/off road balance” you talk about. So again the point is not relevant. Quality of the seat, placement of seat in the cabin, suspension design and quality and valving all matter for comfort and daily driving more so than tire size.

As a matter of fact, the ZR2’s multimatic DSSV is known to behave super well on road with minimal body roll and excellent comfort, so is the live valve fox tech on a raptor. I would bet a lot of money borh of those suspensions will outperform the TRD Pro for on-road comfort and body roll.

With all of that being said, you are right about the hybrid. It should offer a much better MPG and range, which I am definitely interested about. You are also right about reliability that should be better overall than the ranger and colorado (except don’t forget that Toyota’s reliability come from their archaic design and tech on 10y old platforms like the current 4Runner. Just look at a new Tundra it has as many issues as a F150, so the Tacoma being all new, I would have my hopes low although a bit better than all new colorado and ranger).
Those 2 points are exactly why I am here and considering a Tacoma. All I am saying, is they completely screwed up the suspension design VS the competition and it’s a shame that one can’t have the reliability + the hybrid + proper off road performance in one package. You trying to defend their BS money saving choice of going with different offset to increase track instead of larger axles saying that it will make for a more balanced truck is plainly wrong. They screwed up that part and there is no shame in recognizing that.
Same as there is no shame in recognizing Ford and Chevrolet have poor reliability history and screwed up not offering a hybrid.

kbreese72

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0 SCrew 4x4
I do not agree with you at all.
First of all, Toyota already has a balanced version for the Tacoma, it’s called TRD off road. Toyota and their chief engineer themselves marketed the TRD-Pro as their “high speed Baja style off-roader”. They made it as a direct competition of the ZR2 and the RRaptor. Now you are trying to excuse their poor execution in the suspension department by saying it will have a better balance of on road? Like I said they have the TRD off road for that.

Secondly, you say who is really doing Baja racing? Well nobody, but that’s completely irrelevant. You see my Bronco has 35in tires and great suspensions, but I don’t use that to race competitions. I use that so when I drive 4 hours almost every Friday to go hiking, adventuring and camping in the western US, then have a 50 miles trail with a horrible mix of large washboards, whoops and ruts and wholes, I just have 1h extra to drive instead of 2h in a regular 4x4 and I make it on time to my camp before sunset. And trust me, I pass so many 4Runners and Tacoma TRD Pros on that kind of trail, there is just no competition. Not to mention they kill themselves on the washboards while I ride on a smooth cloud. Also not to mention that for some of the places I go, I definitely use the full capability of the vehicle. So you see, for a lot of us overlanders it’s not about Baja racing, it’s about covering ground much faster and with much better comfort and being able to access places few others can go to enjoy nature less crowded.

Third, you speak about Comfort being poor as a daily due to huge tires. My Bronco on 35 is so much more comfortable both on and off road than my best friend’s 2022 4Runner TRD Pro which has smaller tires and has the “better on/off road balance” you talk about. So again the point is not relevant. Quality of the seat, placement of seat in the cabin, suspension design and quality and valving all matter for comfort and daily driving more so than tire size.

As a matter of fact, the ZR2’s multimatic DSSV is known to behave super well on road with minimal body roll and excellent comfort, so is the live valve fox tech on a raptor. I would bet a lot of money borh of those suspensions will outperform the TRD Pro for on-road comfort and body roll.

With all of that being said, you are right about the hybrid. It should offer a much better MPG and range, which I am definitely interested about. You are also right about reliability that should be better overall than the ranger and colorado (except don’t forget that Toyota’s reliability come from their archaic design and tech on 10y old platforms like the current 4Runner. Just look at a new Tundra it has as many issues as a F150, so the Tacoma being all new, I would have my hopes low although a bit better than all new colorado and ranger).
Those 2 points are exactly why I am here and considering a Tacoma. All I am saying, is they completely screwed up the suspension design VS the competition and it’s a shame that one can’t have the reliability + the hybrid + proper off road performance in one package. You trying to defend their BS money saving choice of going with different offset to increase track instead of larger axles saying that it will make for a more balanced truck is plainly wrong. They screwed up that part and there is no shame in recognizing that.
Same as there is no shame in recognizing Ford and Chevrolet have poor reliability history and screwed up not offering a hybrid.

1.) I don't care about "Marketing" I care about what something actually is.

2.) You're the 5%, not the 95%. Most people aren't doing what you are doing every Friday. And even with what you do every Friday, there are 6 other days of the week. Those 35's are not exactly ideal on the road for efficiency, acceleration, braking. The New Taco will destroy your bronco on 35's in acceleration, highway merging, passing, etc., while getting better mpg. There is a clear trade-off with larger tires.

3.) I never even mentioned comfort and wasn't talking about comfort relative to larger tires, I was talking about efficiency, practicality and acceleration on road. That extra rotational mass hurts all those things, as well as wear and tear. And I'm sure the NEW Tacoma will be plenty comfortable on the road, and I'm sure most will be plenty happy with it's fox suspension, both on and off-road.

4.) I didn't even mention the wheel offset thing. Frankly I don't care. As someone else mentioned, it's not like they used wheel spacers. Nothing wrong with using wheel offset for a little wider stance, assuming it's reasonable amount of offset, which coming from Toyota's factory that way, it's obviously reasonable.

5.) Nothing is perfect and they have a budget to contend with and a market to target. They have to pick and choose their battles and where to spend money and where to save a little. I stick to my opinion that it will be a very well rounded on and off road machine, all things considered, for most people. If people want something more hardcore off-road then you can always mod it, or get a ZR2 instead. Again, it all depends on ones individual needs/desires.
Sponsored

Last edited: