Sponsored

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
1.) I don't care about "Marketing" I care about what something actually is.

2.) You're the 5%, not the 95%. Most people aren't doing what you are doing every Friday. And even with what you do every Friday, there are 6 other days of the week. Those 35's are not exactly ideal on the road for efficiency, acceleration, braking. The New Taco will destroy your bronco on 35's in acceleration, highway merging, passing, etc., while getting better mpg. There is a clear trade-off with larger tires.

3.) I never even mentioned comfort and wasn't talking about comfort relative to larger tires, I was talking about efficiency, practicality and acceleration on road. That extra rotational mass hurts all those things, as well as wear and tear. And I'm sure the NEW Tacoma will be plenty comfortable on the road, and I'm sure most will be plenty happy with it's fox suspension, both on and off-road.

4.) I didn't even mention the wheel offset thing. Frankly I don't care. As someone else mentioned, it's not like they used wheel spacers. Nothing wrong with using wheel offset for a little wider stance, assuming it's reasonable amount of offset, which coming from Toyota's factory that way, it's obviously reasonable.

5.) Nothing is perfect and they have a budget to contend with and a market to target. They have to pick and choose their battles and where to spend money and where to save a little. I stick to my opinion that it will be a very well rounded on and off road machine, all things considered, for most people. If people want something more hardcore off-road then you can always mod it, or get a ZR2 instead. Again, it all depends on ones individual needs/desires.
2) I am definitely not the 5%. Unless you are talking about soccer moms and mall crawlers who buy Broncos and TRD Pros to drive city only. I use the vehicle for what it is built for. The TRD Pro is not built for city driving but for high speed off road use.
the new Tacoma will destroy my Bronco in acceleration not because of its tires but because of the hybrid engine. My bronco destroys any Tacoma and 4Runner in existence today in acceleration highway merging while getting better MPG. Your argument is moot.

3) You mentioned daily driving usability. This includes comfort as far as I am concerned.
Acceleration is not hurt because I have a different gearing ratio from the factory. My Bronco with the 35 package accelerate just as good as a Badlands on 33s thanks to that.
You would be surprised with tire mass. My Bronco has the lightest off-road 35in tires in the world at 52lbs. That’s on average 15 lbs lighter than any other 35in all terrain, and several lbs tires than most 33in tires such as the ones on the new TRD Pro, short of the 33in KO2 that weights the same.
By the way. My main complaint is the abysmal suspension travel by design on the new Tacoma, not the lack of 35s.

4) no, using wheel offset for 3 inch more width is plainly wrong. Fanboyism and lack of objectivity here is through the roof but that’s to be expected on a Toyota forum. Just like when I list a few fact against a colorado on their forum (like poor MPG and lack of reliability) I get shot at that I am dumb if I buy a truck to get good MPG and that colorado lack of reliability is a myth.

5) yes you can mod it. In this case you buy the TRD off road. The expensive TRD PRO is not supposed to have its full axles and suspensions changed. That would be ridiculous.

You are all the same, incapable of having objective judgment. I don’t mind being critic towards what needs to be. Won’t prevent me to buy one of those and enjoy it.

Pardon me for wanting Toyota reliability and hybrid engine, and best in class off road capabilities at the same time. I should be ashamed and dumb for wanting a mid size truck with a hybrid engine, with the same tires and suspension travel (30% more than the TRD) as all other competitors offer, instead of 3 inch of extra width by offset. Jeez
Sponsored

kbreese72

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0 SCrew 4x4
1.) I don't care about "Marketing" I care about what something actually is.

2.) You're the 5%, not the 95%. Most people aren't doing what you are doing every Friday. And even with what you do every Friday, there are 6 other days of the week. Those 35's are not exactly ideal on the road for efficiency, acceleration, braking. The New Taco will destroy your bronco on 35's in acceleration, highway merging, passing, etc., while getting better mpg. There is a clear trade-off with larger tires.

3.) I never even mentioned comfort and wasn't talking about comfort relative to larger tires, I was talking about efficiency, practicality and acceleration on road. That extra rotational mass hurts all those things, as well as wear and tear. And I'm sure the NEW Tacoma will be plenty comfortable on the road, and I'm sure most will be plenty happy with it's fox suspension, both on and off-road.

4.) I didn't even mention the wheel offset thing. Frankly I don't care. As someone else mentioned, it's not like they used wheel spacers. Nothing wrong with using wheel offset for a little wider stance, assuming it's reasonable amount of offset, which coming from Toyota's factory that way, it's obviously reasonable.

5.) Nothing is perfect and they have a budget to contend with and a market to target. They have to pick and choose their battles and where to spend money and where to save a little. I stick to my opinion that it will be a very well rounded on and off road machine, all things considered, for most people. If people want something more hardcore off-road then you can always mod it, or get a ZR2 instead. Again, it all depends on ones individual needs/desires.
2) I am definitely not the 5%. Unless you are talking about soccer moms and mall crawlers who buy Broncos and TRD Pros to drive city only. I use the vehicle for what it is built for. The TRD Pro is not built for city driving but for high speed off road use.
the new Tacoma will destroy my Bronco in acceleration not because of its tires but because of the hybrid engine. My bronco destroys any Tacoma and 4Runner in existence today in acceleration highway merging while getting better MPG. Your argument is moot.

3) You mentioned daily driving usability. This includes comfort as far as I am concerned.
Acceleration is not hurt because I have a different gearing ratio from the factory. My Bronco with the 35 package accelerate just as good as a Badlands on 33s thanks to that.
You would be surprised with tire mass. My Bronco has the lightest off-road 35in tires in the world at 52lbs. That’s on average 15 lbs lighter than any other 35in all terrain, and several lbs tires than most 33in tires such as the ones on the new TRD Pro, short of the 33in KO2 that weights the same.
By the way. My main complaint is the abysmal suspension travel by design on the new Tacoma, not the lack of 35s.

4) no, using wheel offset for 3 inch more width is plainly wrong. Fanboyism and lack of objectivity here is through the roof but that’s to be expected on a Toyota forum. Just like when I list a few fact against a colorado on their forum (like poor MPG and lack of reliability) I get shot at that I am dumb if I buy a truck to get good MPG and that colorado lack of reliability is a myth.

5) yes you can mod it. In this case you buy the TRD off road. The expensive TRD PRO is not supposed to have its full axles and suspensions changed. That would be ridiculous.

You are all the same, incapable of having objective judgment. I don’t mind being critic towards what needs to be. Won’t prevent me to buy one of those and enjoy it.

Pardon me for wanting Toyota reliability and hybrid engine, and best in class off road capabilities at the same time. I should be ashamed and dumb for wanting a mid size truck with a hybrid engine, with the same tires and suspension travel (30% more than the TRD) as all other competitors offer, instead of 3 inch of extra width by offset. Jeez
Thanks for the laugh.

I'll just say this...

It's easy to go on forums, put on your keyboard warrior hat, and nitpick the crap out of everything.

Tell you what, why don't you apply for Sheldon Brown's position and show us all how it's done.

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Thanks for the laugh.

I'll just say this...

It's easy to go on forums, put on your keyboard warrior hat, and nitpick the crap out of everything.

Tell you what, why don't you apply for Sheldon Brown's position and show us all how it's done.
Lol. Ran out of arguments and goes for the classic 8 YO stuff. See, I was expressing my opinion about a product, and guess what that’s why forums are for. You used your keyboard to counter argue, and so did I. What forums are for again. Now it looks like you are too sensitive and can’t get a balanced opinion on a product you gonna buy. If you buy it it must be perfect
 as long as you are convinced about that it’s all that matters😊😘

kbreese72

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0 SCrew 4x4
Lol. Ran out of arguments and goes for the classic 8 YO stuff. See, I was expressing my opinion about a product, and guess what that’s why forums are for. You used your keyboard to counter argue, and so did I. What forums are for again. Now it looks like you are too sensitive and can’t get a balanced opinion on a product you gonna buy. If you buy it it must be perfect
 as long as you are convinced about that it’s all that matters😊😘

2.) According to The Drive, around 75 percent of truck owners use their trucks for towing once per year or less and nearly 70 percent of truck owners go off-road only one time per year or less. So yes I think it's a fair estimate that probably only 5% of TRD Pro owners do Serious off-roading every weekend.

People simply love to have the capability for bad weather i.e. snow storms, etc, and for that just in case, hey you never know stuff. Especially in today's crazy world. That's why so many folks are armed to gills with stacks of ammo and bug-out bags, etc. It's a good secure feeling to be prepared just in case.

Then there are those who just like trucks in general. The look, the height, the utility...it suits their personality... whatever. Trucks like the Zr2, RR and new Taco TRD Pro are awesome to look at, appreciate the engineering and capabilities, and of course fun to drive. Many people also realize they build them to a higher standard to take abuse.

And for people who live on the East Coast like myself, it's great to not worry about terrible pavement, pot holes, big bumps, speed bumps, and so on. And then of course there is the ulitlity aspect. Modern trucks are just fantastic, tough, do-it-all vehicles.

Bottom line is most people who purchase even the TRD Pro's are not doing off-roading on a regular basis, and many of them...aren't doing it at all. Toyota knows this so they are making a truck to strike a balance. They are not dummies. They do their research. They know their market.

3.) No, I said practicality. The plain and simple fact is, the bigger and beefier your tires are, the more it effects performance and efficiency. Rotational mass is no joke and I think Toyota nailed it with the size they chose. Perfect compromise. That's all I'm saying. And again, I'm certain comfort will not be an issue with the NEW TRD Pro. You spoke about comfort relative to the older model. Silly comparison as the new model is completely different and will absolutely ride and handle much better than the old one.

4.)It's "plainly wrong"?? LOL. You simply don't know what you are talking about. Is it the absolute best way to achieve a wider stance? Well of course not. But it's certainly not "wrong." And the truck was obviously designed this way from the factory. Apparently the engineers at Toyota have no idea what they are doing, and Uncle Tacotac is here to set them straight. LMAO.

"Fanboyism"??? I have not owned a Toyota since my 1988 Supra which I owned over 30 years ago. I'm mostly a Chevy and Ford guy. Currently own a ~500hp 2018 F150 5.0 and an ~800hp 2017 Mustang GT. Have also recently owned a new C8 Corvette Stingray, heavily modified 08 Z06 & 01 Z06, and so on. I also like Honda's...bought my GF her Accord, and previously owned a V6 Accord Coupe as a DD. Also, had a CBR 600 street bike, and old School Honda ATC 250R 3 wheelers. I could go on, but I've had a little bit of everything from all different brands and I am not loyal to any of them. Just a matter if I like something or not. I speak about facts with no bias one way or the other.

5.) Didn't realize that a TRD Pro was un-moddable. Thanks for dropping this valuable knowledge, HAHA. For me personally though I probably wouldn't do much if any mods. Seems perfect the way it is.

Gotta say though... you're a funny guy.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
This might be the first fight on tacoma4g.com
Hopefully the last.. Tacomaworld is 95% pointless crying and arguing! Nothing wrong with an honest opinion! Take the keyboard away and put them in a room together and they’ll be best buds within minutes.

kbreese72

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0 SCrew 4x4
Hopefully the last.. Tacomaworld is 95% pointless crying and arguing! Nothing wrong with an honest opinion! Take the keyboard away and put them in a room together and they’ll be best buds within minutes.
Personally I didn't see it as a "fight"

There was no name calling or temper loss.

Nothing wrong with a good ole' fashioned fiesty debate on a forum.

It's one of the ways we grow and learn...

By taking in other people's knowledge, experiences and perspectives.

kbreese72

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0 SCrew 4x4
Just read an Article @ Topspeed.com of the New Tacoma TRD Pro vs the new Colorado Bison ZR2, and they basically concluded exactly what I've said. Oh and in terms of comfort the stated the Taco will be more comfortable.

Below is their conclusion:

" Deciding which truck to buy mostly depends on your needs. It is safe to say that if you want the most capable off-roader then the ZR2 Bison wins the battle. It offers more clearance, larger tires, and one additional locker. That being said, the Tacoma’s coil-sprung rear end and over-engineered front seats will certainly provide better ride quality, both on and off-road.

Furthermore, the Tacoma TRD Pro has the upper hand in power and might be cheaper to run (in terms of gas and emissions) due to the hybrid system. This makes it the best choice for an all-around great daily driver and weekend adventure truck.

So, simply put, if you will be tackling tough trails every weekend go for the Chevy. If you will mostly use the truck as a daily driver with off-road trips that will be on the easier side, get the Tacoma. Obviously, the Tacoma is also great off-road, but it's not quite at the level of the ZR2 Bison."

Its a TRD thang

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
I think you mean if you want to break down on the trail go chevy , if you want to make it home go Tacoma :ROFLMAO:

Tom59

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Tundra ISE, 2012 CT200h, 2015 NX 200t
It all depends on your needs. Let's face it, most of us are not going to do extreme off-roading or baja racing. If that's your purpose then the ZR2 or RR probably will be a better choice. I mean the ZR2 has huge ground clearance and is just an awesome off-road truck.

But...did you look at the MPG of the ZR2? 16/16! Those big tires and that huge clearance, etc, are not exactly great when it comes to daily driving on-road efficiency/practicality. They will also make the truck slower. Then there's the reliability issues.

The new TRD Pro I think will be a very nice balance of off-road prowess AND daily driving & trip taking on-road practicality. It's rumored to get mid-20's on the highway. WAY more efficient than the ZR2. And that's with having more power and more torque! The tire sizes are a nice balance for off and on road. Not too small not too big. The truck should be faster than the ZR2. Also, I think the interior is nicer, and finally it should be quite a bit more reliable.

Many people want all the best off-road stuff, but spend 95% of the time on-road. There's a balance to be struck.
...and some are saying 27mpg all around so I'd guess it is more like 25mpg. This was my concern with gas rising so quickly again.

paleh0rse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
...and some are saying 27mpg all around so I'd guess it is more like 25mpg. This was my concern with gas rising so quickly again.
I'm very interested in the final fuel efficiency numbers for the lifted Trailhunter and Pro. My 3rd gen was averaging just 13-15 mpg with 33" skinnies and a 2.5" lift, so I'll be extremely happy if we see the TH or Pro hit 21+ mpg with a similar lift, tires, and armor. Seeing 25+ would be insanity for a built truck.

Tom59

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Tundra ISE, 2012 CT200h, 2015 NX 200t
I'm very interested in the final fuel efficiency numbers for the lifted Trailhunter and Pro. My 3rd gen was averaging just 13-15 mpg with 33" skinnies and a 2.5" lift, so I'll be extremely happy if we see the TH or Pro hit 21+ mpg with a similar lift, tires, and armor. Seeing 25+ would be insanity for a built truck.
Electric motors are the key. I've read the Grand Highlander with a lot more power; it is getting 33-34mpg. Most Tacomas are only getting 17-19 all-around. Toyota Tacoma MPG - Actual MPG from 11,536 Toyota Tacoma owners (fuelly.com) I think that you will easily get 21mpg...a lot depends on the terrain and as you mentioned the tire footprint.
Sponsored