Sponsored

Trying out 5w-30 engine oil

gmalkmus

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
Nov 17, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
158
Reaction score
166
Location
SW Missouri
Vehicle(s)
2025 Tacoma TRD Offroad 6MT, 2015 Mustang GT 6MT
First off: yes, I know that the user manual says to use 0W-20. You don't need to tell me. I know. I get it. Toyota recommends US customers use 0W-20. Yep. I know.

I've owned 4 cars that call for 0W-20 oil from the factory - my 2015 Mustang GT, 2019 Civic Si, 2024 Honda Ridgeline, and now this 2025 Tacoma TRD Offroad. The Mustang is now running 5W-50 and I used 5W-30 on the Civic, Ridgeline, and now the Tacoma. On the Civic and the Ridgeline, I noticed that the engines ran MUCH quieter and smoother with the 5W-30 oil. I got 60,000 trouble-free miles out of the Civic running 5W-30 and noticed that it helped a lot with the oil dilution issues those 1.5T engines are known for. I run the Mustang hard and the heavier oil runs great (actually recommended by Ford for track duty, or in my case, heavily modified street duty).

I changed my oil on the Tacoma at 500 miles, 1500 miles, 5000 miles, and 10,000 miles, all with 0W-20 oil. Every time I changed the oil, it came out watery, black, and smelled faintly of gasoline. I've always noticed that the engine just sounds ROUGH all the time, clattering away even at low loads. I heard this was just injector noise but it sounded bad for sure. Seeing that Toyota specs this engine to run on 5W-30 in Mexico, I figured it would be safe to run in mine as well.

Immediately noticed a difference in how the engine runs. It is much quieter - at least a 50% reduction in clattering noises. The engine also feels much smoother -definitely will be sticking with 5W-30 for the life of the truck.

AGAIN. I KNOW TOYOTA USA DOES NOT SPEC THIS OIL. YOU DON"T NEED TO TELL ME.
Sponsored

 

SKYRNCHEXP

TRD Sport
New member
First Name
MIKE
Joined
Sep 14, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
1
Reaction score
2
Location
KNEEVADA
Vehicle(s)
2024 TACOMA SPORT
I ran 5-30 mobil one all summer without issue. About 8k miles in 105-115 degree temps.
I went to 5-20 as it is now getting cooler and i still had some stock of it. But i may just switch to 5-30 after its gone. It may just be me but i feel i lost a little mpg going to 5-30 but it may have been summer and driving habits
 

395North

TRD PreRunner
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2024
Threads
8
Messages
146
Reaction score
164
Location
CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 TRD PreRunner
I ran 5-30 mobil one all summer without issue. About 8k miles in 105-115 degree temps.
I went to 5-20 as it is now getting cooler and i still had some stock of it. But i may just switch to 5-30 after its gone. It may just be me but i feel i lost a little mpg going to 5-30 but it may have been summer and driving habits
I live n Socal, OC. Lowest it ever gets is about 30F and highest about 103F. 5W30 will be just fine.
I don't care about MPG.
 

Lando

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
Oct 6, 2023
Threads
5
Messages
416
Reaction score
350
Location
Canada
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR, 2021 VW Gti 6 spd
I want to switch to 5w20 but don’t want an issue with my warranty so I was gonna switch after. I’ve had my truck for 2 years and 1 month and just had its last covered in the maintenance package oil change.
 

Sponsored

IDontWorkForTheWaterCo

SR
Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
262
Reaction score
322
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2026 Tacoma SR
First off: yes, I know that the user manual says to use 0W-20. You don't need to tell me. I know. I get it. Toyota recommends US customers use 0W-20. Yep. I know.

I've owned 4 cars that call for 0W-20 oil from the factory - my 2015 Mustang GT, 2019 Civic Si, 2024 Honda Ridgeline, and now this 2025 Tacoma TRD Offroad. The Mustang is now running 5W-50 and I used 5W-30 on the Civic, Ridgeline, and now the Tacoma. On the Civic and the Ridgeline, I noticed that the engines ran MUCH quieter and smoother with the 5W-30 oil. I got 60,000 trouble-free miles out of the Civic running 5W-30 and noticed that it helped a lot with the oil dilution issues those 1.5T engines are known for. I run the Mustang hard and the heavier oil runs great (actually recommended by Ford for track duty, or in my case, heavily modified street duty).

I changed my oil on the Tacoma at 500 miles, 1500 miles, 5000 miles, and 10,000 miles, all with 0W-20 oil. Every time I changed the oil, it came out watery, black, and smelled faintly of gasoline. I've always noticed that the engine just sounds ROUGH all the time, clattering away even at low loads. I heard this was just injector noise but it sounded bad for sure. Seeing that Toyota specs this engine to run on 5W-30 in Mexico, I figured it would be safe to run in mine as well.

Immediately noticed a difference in how the engine runs. It is much quieter - at least a 50% reduction in clattering noises. The engine also feels much smoother -definitely will be sticking with 5W-30 for the life of the truck.

AGAIN. I KNOW TOYOTA USA DOES NOT SPEC THIS OIL. YOU DON"T NEED TO TELL ME.
Totally unrelated to the T24 engine, but I've been running 5w30 in our 0w20 spec'd 2ZR powered Corolla since the 1000 mile mark. It has nearly 80k on it now. Runs flawlessly.

2024 Tacoma Trying out 5w-30 engine oil 20260815_110832


I wouldn't hesitate to run 5w30 in my Tacoma. But I have a decent sized stash of 0w20 at the moment. I'm also waiting on Lake Speed's conclusions with his Tacoma. If there's any measurable benefit, I'm in.

I ran 5w30 in my 2GR 3rd gen.
 

IDontWorkForTheWaterCo

SR
Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
262
Reaction score
322
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2026 Tacoma SR
I want to switch to 5w20 but don’t want an issue with my warranty so I was gonna switch after. I’ve had my truck for 2 years and 1 month and just had its last covered in the maintenance package oil change.
They list 0w20 as a recommendation only. I can't find anywhere in the manual where it says using something other than that will void the warranty. I would think it would be in bold print somewhere if it were that critical.

But I totally understand you being cautious about it.
 
OP
OP
gmalkmus

gmalkmus

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
Nov 17, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
158
Reaction score
166
Location
SW Missouri
Vehicle(s)
2025 Tacoma TRD Offroad 6MT, 2015 Mustang GT 6MT
For winter folks - Redline makes a 0w-30. Im gonna drop that in prob beginning of Nov.
5w-30 is good down to like -25 F. Unless you’re up in Alaska or something, you would be better off with 5w-30.
 

Sponsored

GSPHerder

TRD Pro
Well-known member
First Name
Rudy
Joined
Feb 13, 2026
Threads
12
Messages
230
Reaction score
189
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2026 Tacoma TRD PRO
It might be good, but in previous vehicles there is a noticeable difference during early morning startups with a 5w-30 on a typical NM winter morning.
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
gmalkmus

gmalkmus

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
Nov 17, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
158
Reaction score
166
Location
SW Missouri
Vehicle(s)
2025 Tacoma TRD Offroad 6MT, 2015 Mustang GT 6MT
It might be good, but in previous vehicles there is a noticeable difference during early morning startups with a 5w-30 on a typical NM winter morning.
I’m in SW MO and will be using this all through winter. We routinely get temperatures down to 0 degrees, sometime less. You should be totally fine in New Mexico, thats warm.
Sponsored

 
 






Top