Sponsored

Oil change interval for 2024 Tacoma 4th gen hybrid and gas engines? Synthetic or conventional engine oil?

Tacosauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma V6
Any guidance yet on the recommended oil change intervals is for the 4th gen engines? Do hybrid engines usually have different intervals? And synthetic or conventional oil?
Sponsored

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
Any guidance yet on the recommended oil change intervals is for the 4th gen engines? Do hybrid engines usually have different intervals? And synthetic or conventional oil?
I don't know for sure but my guess is it will be like most other Toyota's, they recommend 10K synthetic oil changes.
Personally if I end up getting one I will be sticking to my normal schedule of 5K synthetic oil changes. Seen to many videos about this and it causing premature wear. A co worker has a 2020 Camry that he says he has asked them about this (they talk him out of anything other than the 10K) when he takes it in for service and they say the issue has been fixed but I would rather have the piece of mind considering I would plan on having it at least 10 years/200K miles

26wx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Synthetic, of course. I'll be watching BITOG for the 2.4L turbo UOAs in the Highlander...see if there are any fuel dilution issues. If none and wear looks good, you can probably run the oil changes long.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Pending how u drive, and where, determines true length of mileage before oil change. Light drivers that don't put many miles or barely work the motor, good for 7.5k - 10k. Run it ragged, motor always hot, lots of miles, offroading moderate to often, etc... I would do 5k - 7.5k pending how extreme. Every driver is different. The manually will reflect similarly to the above.

PnchDrnk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT
I have a '21 Ford Ranger and my regular interval is about 15000kms with full synthetic. That being said I don't do a ton of towing and don't aggressively run my engine while driving so just like LordEnzo said your driving habits really matters.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
Never go 10k (15k km) on any turbo charged engine. 5K (7.5k km) max is my thought based on a lot of Youtube watching.
I agree....after seeing so much I can't imagine waiting the 10K personally especially since I have kept my current car for over 200K miles and plan to do the same with the next one.

A co work has a Toyota though and says that the dealer almost fights him on changing it before the 10K

Dmesser92

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD, 1991 Toyota Pickup 4WD
A co work has a Toyota though and says that the dealer almost fights him on changing it before the 10K
I've had similar experiences. Some service advisors will fight you on it. I've thought about foregoing the free oil changes and doing them myself, just to avoid the hassle. I feel better about 5k oil changes rather than 10k. It can't hurt anything by being at best proactive, at worst, paranoid.

univurshul

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
Haven't bought a new (or used) truck since '01, and if the service center does 'em complimentary no cost while under warranty, I'll go with what they recommend. Not really critical on this final gen ICE engine setup... The end his near, solid state batteries will power toyota LT drive trains by ~2030 so assuming I actually get my '24 Taco in '24 🤞🏽 then I'll likely just barely eclipse the drive train warranty before I trade it in for a 2032 Taco with a frunk that can go 700mi on a single charge [cue the chatter about PV sunroofs vs. roof racks etc].

By then oil changes will be like a distant memory, I'll get real lazy & disgruntled when I need to just add washer fluid 2x/year. I'll be an old fart, will probably loathe plugging in the truck when I pull into the garage...🤙🏽

Last edited:

Tom59

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Tundra ISE, 2012 CT200h, 2015 NX 200t
Depends on where you drive it keeping the air filter changed keeps the oil cleaner. Same intervals we have this engine in our Lexus. I change it every spring and fall but we rarely drive it. Offroading in the desert probably requires more oil changes...send it out for analysis if you are worried. I'm wondering if they require premium fuel. That's a big difference in the price of gas. My Tundra runs on 87.

TacoTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
iForce Max oil filter location driver side front. Looks like an oil cooler and drip guide. I wonder if there is a way to capture drips without removing bash guard? I normally use an oil vacuum pump through the dip stick for changes so just a bit of oil left in the sump to capture when changing the filter.

2024 Tacoma Oil change interval for 2024 Tacoma 4th gen hybrid and gas engines? Synthetic or conventional engine oil? IMG_0319

Blue Crush Taco

First Name
Dare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
Dealer recommends 16000 km / 10000 mile oil changes here in Canada. With synthetic oil of course. I doubt anyone would want to wait that long though. ( I know this because I checked the oil service counter and it showed 15 xxx km left til oil service) hope this helps

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium and 2007 Sequioa LTD
I'm planning on changing mine every 5k miles and will not clear it after the first one and have the dealer do the free one at 10k and I will do the 15k and let the dealer do the 20 and then do all the rest myself every 5k miles. I have had several Toyota vehicles along with a few Chevrolet and have always changed the oil much for frequent then the manufacture recommends and have never had any issues what so ever. My father was a Toyota master mechanic for over 30 years and he always stated that an engine's oil is the life blood of the car.

SleepyBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma, TRD Off Road 4x4
To answer the question at hand. 0w-20 ILSAC GF-6A, which is only synthetic.

Also, ILSAC GF-6A and API SP are interchangeable and identical specs.

source: family member is a Mobil 1 chemical engineer.

Just do it at 5k / 6 months unless you’re all highway And can do 10k miles in 6 months. Most of us fall under the severe duty, believe it or not. It also includes repeated short trips. Dealers still use non Toyota SN for “Toyota care”, which is the wrong oil.

Last edited:

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Ignore the salesman and service managers! Change the oil and filter every 5K miles. There have been a few new Tundra TTV6 engine bearing failures that some suspect could be due to boosted engines and oil changes at 10k?
Sponsored