Sponsored

2.4L Hybrid/Turbo reliability concerns

Buckleup7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The hybid and turbo engines worry me. I'm sold on everything else but obviously engine reliability and longevity is a big one. I think a lot of us are drawn to the Taco because they've held up so well historically with the V6 logging several 1000s of miles without skipping a beat.

I've read others talk about how better MPG will save $ and less engine wear overall but seems like cutting off nose to spite the face kind of situation.

What say you guys?
Sponsored

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
You will see a small bump in MPGs. Do not expect Prius or Maverick numbers. I believe they use this power train in other Toyotas, just not sure which one. So we can look at those models to see what issues they may be having.

cgalloni

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Manual
You will see a small bump in MPGs. Do not expect Prius or Maverick numbers. I believe they use this power train in other Toyotas, just not sure which one. So we can look at those models to see what issues they may be having.
They use the same power train in the Highlander 2023 and Lexus NX 2023.

Engine has been in the NX for more than a year and so far so good, granted the NX will not see the same treatment as a Tacoma. I am not concerned about the engine per say but the longevity of the Turbo. Turbos are expensive to replace and its located in the back of the engine which doesn't make things easier to replace.
Per Toyota Engineer they used a commercial grade Turbo which make things a bit easier to take but will this Turbo last 200k + ? not quite sure. I guess the only way to know is to buy it and see how it goes. I would not be purchasing the 1st year though . The Tundra first year and turbo wastegate problems is kind of scary , thankfully the Taco doesn't use an electronic Wastegate but a conventional one. We will see.

OP
OP

Buckleup7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yea I looked up the Hybrid Tundra numbers and it was only 1-2 MPG average increase over the standard turbo. That doesn't bode well for a massive increase on the 24 Taco... maybe 2-3 MPG gain?

26wx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Remember, every 0.1mpg they can squeeze out on mass production is a win for a auto manufacturing company...

joewitafro

First Name
joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 honda civic 1.5l turbo, 95 lexus sc300 turbo
My point of view, if they're willing to put this in the Lexus NX/RX, the Toyota highlander & Grand Highlander, the flagship Crown crossover turbo hybrid AND the Tacoma... and possibly (most likely) the 4runner too we're most likely looking at a very good motor choice. Looking at the design of the T24A-FTS, its a twin vvt-i timing chain motor, with the oil pump driven by chain too and going back with the spin on oil filter.. I think this is a winning combination that will easily get 250,000 miles with maintenance.

My only worries lay with the initial production and working out any potential bugs, oh and I also don't want a hybrid because I think the electric motor mated to the transmission is a bit overly complicated for my taste when thinking about owning this truck for 25 years.

2024 Tacoma 2.4L Hybrid/Turbo reliability concerns 1685190309111

Reactions: MJE

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Toyota is all in on Hybrid systems. I own 3 with zero problems. One is a 15 year old Prius I bought used and has 150k battery is still good. After market new Li/ion would be $1800 diy and out perform a factory pricey replacement.
My only concern is the new system is the MGR uses a clutch pack vs the planetary gear eCVT, so it will wear out at some point? So far zero reports of this happening in the Tundra and I’m quite sure Toyota over engineered it for a long life. And using the same MGR that’s in the Tundra that is far heavier it will certainly last longer in the Tacoma. All Toyota 2020 and later Hybrid systems have an 8yr 150k warranty. The extra power without the extra stress on the engine will extend engine life as well as less engine run time, electric pumps, ac, etc will also help reliability and efficiency. My opinion, Short and long term the hybrid will be equally or more reliable.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TRD Pro
Toyota bet the farm on hybrid technology. They have the hybrid formula down to a science. They have invested very heavily in R&D.

I have zero hesitations that my reserved 2024 TRD Pro hybrid will be any less reliable than my 2019 Pro.

I am looking forward to higher fuel economy with the hybrid propulsion system. I’m guessing mid to high 20’s when EPA numbers are released later this year.

philipfreire

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
freire.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Rav4 XLE Premium 4WD
I think it will be fine boys. By the time the vehicle is 10 years old almost all vehicles sold will be hybrid of full electric. Gas engines will be either worth more or worthless. Time will tell. Plus the car industry is finally catching up with modern tech. In 10 years people are going to want the new tech. Just like you guys want this today.

26wx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Hasn't the 2.4L Turbo been in the Lexus already for a couple/3 years?

And speaking of the gas engines mentioned above, as old and outdated as it is, the 4.0L V6 in the 4Runner may be one of the last port injected only engines ever offered again...for one more year? I had a 2016 4R. That engine will take you through the apocalypse, even if it is unimpressive performance-wise.

Cavemold

First Name
Cavemold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
i think 23-26 is doable may be able averger 24 combined if your light on the gas. Which is good right there with 2.3l ranger.

BearWithMe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 3G, TRD OR, 6MT
Turbos are a total non-issue for reliability if implemented properly by the manufacturer. Not worried here. Super stoked for the turbo to maintain horsepower at altitude! The naturally-aspirated V6 loses about 20% of its horsepower at 6000 feet where I live and work. And it just gets worse as you go higher! The 3G Taco is absolutely gutless at altitude.

Also the turbo brings peak torque down to 1700 RPM which is wayyyy more usable than the current V6 which peaks at 4600 RPM. It gets old having to wind out the engine all the time.

Last edited:

26wx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Also the turbo brings peak torque down to 1700 RPM which is wayyyy more usable than the current V6 which peaks at 4600 RPM. It gets old having to wind out the engine all the time.
Peak torque @1700rpm for a gas engine is actually kind of amazing...

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Peak torque @1700rpm for a gas engine is actually kind of amazing...
Honestly I think that’s the biggest miss! 465 TQ alone is amazing but at 1700 rpm will make it a beast off-road!

EKG

First Name
EK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 4Runner, 2012 Prius V, Tesla Model 3
Honestly I think that’s the biggest miss! 465 TQ alone is amazing but at 1700 rpm will make it a beast off-road!
Curious if the axels/rear-end can support that much TQ at that low RPM....seems Toyota has increased the rear diff for this specially.
Sponsored