Sponsored

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
In a perfect scenario under ~25mph I heard apparently you can drive an iForceMax through a neighborhood and not require the ICE until the pack is depleted. Not sure where I heard this from but it's doable to an extent, very brief. That said, based on the battery size (1.87kwh), a 48hp motor would run at full output for about 3 mins to deplete it.

Coasting at speed? - Not sure, I presume the engine is running like a normal ICE in this scenario.
Shoot if it can do that at 25mph that’ll help a lot in city traffic even if it’s only doing it in brief little spurts. Here’s hoping! I drive from vendor to vendor all day doing pickups/returns and end up in a lot of stop and go traffic as a result. Hopefully when they officially drop the pricing and mpg near the end of the month one of the more technically inclined reviewers will get into the weeds on this stuff
Sponsored

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
I think any efficiencies you get from only using the electric motor at low idles will be undone when you're braking the car (the regeneration revs the engine like crazy on my wife's Sienna). I'd love to see some testing around all of this.

If the new hybrids get more than 22mpg, it will be an improvement over my twin-turbo V6, so I'll be happy with that!

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
I think any efficiencies you get from only using the electric motor at low idles will be undone when you're braking the car (the regeneration revs the engine like crazy on my wife's Sienna). I'd love to see some testing around all of this.

If the new hybrids get more than 22mpg, it will be an improvement over my twin-turbo V6, so I'll be happy with that!
Why do the regen brakes rev the ICE?

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
When you decelerate, it revs the ICE to charge the battery. This engine braking makes the tach go crazy when it happens. Very loud. My guess is the Taco engine will be similar.

Last edited:

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
When you decelerate, it revs the ICE to charge the battery. This engine braking make the tach go crazy when it happens. Very loud. My guess is the Taco engine will be similar.
Because of the arrangement of the electric motor on the Tacoma, I wouldn't expect the engine will need to rev at all. The clutch between the engine and motor will likely disengage, and it will use the transmission to turn the motor and charge up the battery. It's a different drivetrain layout than most hybrids.

TacoLisa

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
In this video, the guys discuss Tacoma MPG, as a guess at 4runner fuel economy, and they state that Tacoma Hybrid gets 25 highway, as compared to non-hybrid getting 24. The non hybrid 24 highway is for non TRD, so I'm sure the hybrid 25mpg is also for non TRD. Will be interesting to see what trailhunter and pro get rated at with lift and bigger tires and no air dam.

Tacoma Hybrid 25 MPG is mentioned at 10:30 mark:

I got 24.9 mpg today with my Off Road, this included interstate 70mph and everything in between.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
I know the hybrid powertrain is for power but I think Toyota is missing the mark by not gearing that hybrid technology to increase MPG. If you could somehow keep the power the same as the traditional powertrain and increase the highway MPG to 28-29, I think you'd have something really appealing. I don't need the additional power so the Hybrid does nothing for me and most Tacoma owners.
Hybrid MPG improvements are in stop and go traffic. They almost always negatively impact highway mileage.

JWestie

First Name
Rand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma OR
Hybrid MPG improvements are in stop and go traffic. They almost always negatively impact highway mileage.
The window sticker for an OR-hybrid (posted somewhere in this forum yesterday) advertises 22/24/23 MPG. So, no net gain on the highway versus the gasser. Somewhat disappointing, but its been clear for a long time that the iForce-Max is not MPG oriented.

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Lexus LX470. 2022 Can Am Commander XT-P Max
The window sticker for an OR-hybrid (posted somewhere in this forum yesterday) advertises 22/24/23 MPG. So, no net gain on the highway versus the gasser. Somewhat disappointing, but its been clear for a long time that the iForce-Max is not MPG oriented.
The EPA estimate for the non hybrid is 23 highway/19 city, so there is a small improvement on the highway for the hybrid. However, one of the engineers claimed that the hybrid Off-Road would be shipping with the air dam which the non-hybrid does not come with. So, that could be the source of that extra highway MPG as testing has revealed it's good for about 1 MPG.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Owned 4 Toyota hybrids. All of them (except the Prius) exceeded the same model non hybrid hiway mileage. But the city mileage was/is better than hiway. I haven’t seen any negative impact on hiway mileage due to being hybrid, just not as big of a difference.

The Tundra/Tacoma hybrid system is far different from the traditional Toyota hybrid with the eCVT. The Tacoma hybrid simply isn’t capable of or designed for just improving mpg. Most Previous Gen Tacoma owners would spend 4K in a heart beat to get 465 ft lbs of torque! Any MPG boost is just a bonus!

JWestie

First Name
Rand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma OR
These mild hybrids are a stop gap measure by Toyota. It won't be long (2-3 years) before more heavily or fully electrified versions are offered. If not, Toyota will get squeezed in the mid-size segment.
Sponsored