Sponsored

JWestie

First Name
Rand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma OR
If I was going to buy a Hybrid it would be a Toyota. In their trucks and BOF SUV's however I am still looking for the real benefit of the I-Max powertrain. So far extra weight, less storage, extra cost, additional drivetrain complexity, as a tradeoff for a very modest increase in fuel efficiency and more power that isn't really needed.

My other vehicle is a Wrangler 392 so I do understand the more power part. I would still rather get it with displacement and or Turbo's than batteries. Tow and payload capacity are also reduced. Many will want the Hybrid regardless of all the negatives. I'm sure I'm missing the positives. Hopefully someone can educate me. :)
Can't disagree with this. Usually the hybrid option (Rav4, Highlander, CR-V, etc) will net you at least 5 MPG over the ICE version of the same vehicle (currently +10 MPG for the Rav4 hybrid). If its only a 2 MPG gain, or less than 10%, its hard to stomach the extra cost, loss of storage, and added complexity if you dont truly need the the extra torque/MPG. Unfortunately there is zero competition in the mid-size hybrid truck arena.

OP
OP

dmpplantz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your looking at it wrong. The halo trims are raptor/zr2 competitiors. Go look at what the MPG for those are.

The hybrid is a massive boost to efficiency simply by outputting that much more power at almost 25% better MPG than its competitors.

"Most Tacoma" owners are not focused on MPGs. I'm not sure where you got that vibe from.
Except the 25 hwy is for non TRD trims. Pro and trailhunter with heavy tires, lifts, no air dam, lower final drive ratio? won't be near 25. But I will still be barely satisfied if they top 20 on trd trims

OP
OP

dmpplantz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Still seems highly speculative to trust an off-the-top-of-his-head comment from Roman on a video about another vehicle to be the actual number. Until it's official from Toyota, speculation is just speculation.
That's exactly why I trust it. He wasn't supposed to disclose it. Supposed to be under wraps for a couple more weeks.

OP
OP

dmpplantz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
The TRD Sport iForceMax as well, that should have some great MPG numbers, chin spoiler et. al.
I'm sure the 25 number is top line, the most efficient trim. So, limited, sport. TRD off road probably one mpg less. I'm guessing trailhunter and pro 3-5 mpg less. Though, they aren't exactly putting serious (ie heavy) tires on the trail or pro, so may only lose 2-3 hwy mpg over most efficient trims

PouncingZebra

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Powerboost
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but Toyota officially updated their website (but not everywhere). The trim comparison when you hit "Full Spec" says coming soon.
On the Tacoma main page you can scroll below the new TRD Pro and see 21/26 city/hwy * EST. MPG

That's compared to 19/24, but with bigger tires

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but Toyota officially updated their website (but not everywhere). The trim comparison when you hit "Full Spec" says coming soon.
On the Tacoma main page you can scroll below the new TRD Pro and see 21/26 city/hwy * EST. MPG. That's compared to 19/24, but with bigger tires
I was all over the site today and didn't see that. I tried the builder, the spec sheet page (which by the way, now includes the Trailhunter and the Pro) but the mpg on that says "coming soon".

NICE CATCH!

PS-the disclosure still says "estimated, not known at time of publishing"or words to that effect.

PouncingZebra

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Powerboost
I was all over the site today and didn't see that. I tried the builder, the spec sheet page (which by the way, now includes the Trailhunter and the Pro) but the mpg on that says "coming soon".

NICE CATCH!

PS-the disclosure still says "estimated, not known at time of publishing"or words to that effect.
I've been telling my wife that checking that website daily since August would come in handy... it's finally paid off.

I'm apart of that crew that put money down with the dealership last year (August, TRD Pro) and this has been one of the most miserable periods of waiting I've experienced. Glad something seems to be happening in the next few days.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
I'm a part of that crew that put money down with the dealership last year (August, TRD Pro) and this has been one of the most miserable periods of waiting I've experienced. Glad something seems to be happening in the next few days.
Same here, buddy. I put money down in August also! Though I have a build date of May 14 for my Trailhunter. Hopefully you get your Pro date soon. It’s coming! 12 more days until we know how much it’s gonna cost us. I suspect the price will leak before then…

PouncingZebra

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Powerboost
Same here, buddy. I put money down in August also! Though I have a build date of May 14 for my Trailhunter. Hopefully you get your Pro date soon. It’s coming! 12 more days until we know how much it’s gonna cost us. I suspect the price will leak before then…
How'd you find your build date? My dealership hasn't contacted me other than to be first to test drive the first Tacoma they received a month ago.

calicoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TRD OR
On the Tacoma main page you can scroll below the new TRD Pro and see 21/26 city/hwy * EST. MPG

That's compared to 19/24, but with bigger tires
Isn't that just the SR5 XtraCab MPG listed? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Can you post a screen capture of this?

PouncingZebra

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Powerboost
Isn't that just the SR5 XtraCab MPG listed? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Can you post a screen capture of this?
You may be correct, when comparing models I was looking at SR5 4x4 rather than 4x2.

calicoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TRD OR
You may be correct, when comparing models I was looking at SR5 4x4 rather than 4x2.
Yea it's confusing the way they have it laid out. It seems like it's just displaying the best specs regardless of trim so you're seeing top HP, best MPG, etc.

Well back to waiting for these numbers :computerrage:

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I had to do a double take and look this one up- the V6T F150 Raptor gets 12/18 and the V8 gets 10/15 from C&D's tests and EPA is 16/15/18 Combined/City/Highway. The Ranger Raptor gets 16/18 on their tests and 17/16/18 on the EPA test.

Now, a regular Ranger will hit the 22/20-21/24-25 but that's just a turbo 4 banger. It beats the regular Tacoma's 20/19/23 and C&D's 17/22.

If the Hybrid Tacoma in non-TRD Pro or Trailhunter trim is hitting 25MPG consistently, it lines up with the gas Ranger in theory.

Then the question becomes the available range.

The other big factor is that generally speaking after the break in period, MPG typically improves slightly if no changes are made to running gear (tires, etc)
Whatever way you want to slice it, it comes out the same to me.

If you want to compare the MPG of the hybrid against a regular Ranger, you then realize you're getting ALOT more power at the same MPG as the turbo 4 Ranger. If you want to compare the power numbers against a Ranger Raptor, you then realize you're getting at least 6 more MPG combined than the Raptor.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Except the 25 hwy is for non TRD trims. Pro and trailhunter with heavy tires, lifts, no air dam, lower final drive ratio? won't be near 25. But I will still be barely satisfied if they top 20 on trd trims
Says who?

You are operating on assumptions about a rumor. Thats all this is. 25hwy isn't confirmed for any Tacoma, let alone "for non TRD trims".
Sponsored