Sponsored

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
How'd you find your build date? My dealership hasn't contacted me other than to be first to test drive the first Tacoma they received a month ago.
My dealer called me to tell me he got a build date for me. He sent me the VIN and everything.
Sponsored

OP
OP

dmpplantz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
The biggest factor for me in wanting a hybrid in a truck is actually none of what's been mentioned so far. But rather, the built in inverter and power source. If Tacoma hadn't corrected the mistake that Toyota made with tundra (no inverter use without the engine running) I'd be getting an f150 powerboost 100%. Now I've actually got a decision to make, and secondary factor of mpg becomes the primary decision maker

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
The biggest factor for me in wanting a hybrid in a truck is actually the built in inverter and power source.
*IF* these rumors of 25mpg turn out to be true, this feature will be one of the last things bugging me to stick with the hybrid route. The ability to run a saw off of it to break down things before loading would be great.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
In this video, the guys discuss Tacoma MPG, as a guess at 4runner fuel economy, and they state that Tacoma Hybrid gets 25 highway, as compared to non-hybrid getting 24. The non hybrid 24 highway is for non TRD, so I'm sure the hybrid 25mpg is also for non TRD. Will be interesting to see what trailhunter and pro get rated at with lift and bigger tires and no air dam.

Tacoma Hybrid 25 MPG is mentioned at 10:30 mark:

Doesn’t seem like it’s worth the extra cash to get 1 MPG uptick?

PouncingZebra

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Powerboost
The biggest factor for me in wanting a hybrid in a truck is actually none of what's been mentioned so far. But rather, the built in inverter and power source. If Tacoma hadn't corrected the mistake that Toyota made with tundra (no inverter use without the engine running) I'd be getting an f150 powerboost 100%. Now I've actually got a decision to make, and secondary factor of mpg becomes the primary decision maker
Do yourself a favor and avoid the Powerboost

GL Rockwell

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 tacoma OR
You would be looking at something like a Maverick if they decided to do that. Smaller, less payload/towing./less capable truck is what would happen to the Tacoma if you tried to get the MPGs up there. There is a reason why all the midsize trucks are in the same MPG threshold and then a compact FWD Hybrid truck comes a long and puts up high MPG numbers.
We'll see, the ranger hybrid comes out next year. I'll bet it's impressive and it's a midsize.

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
We'll see, the ranger hybrid comes out next year. I'll bet it's impressive and it's a midsize.
At this point of Tacoma shopping, I’m conditioned that 1 year means 2, and therefore won’t be holding my breath or plans for that.. but if it was out right now against a 25mpg Tacoma Hybrid I’d be very tempted

GL Rockwell

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 tacoma OR
The hybrid battery can recharge itself at idle, though probably not as quickly as it can at max torque. What I am curious to see is if the hybrids retain the better MPG with larger tires. There's no free lunch with energy, but what eats a lot of fuel is getting up and going from a stop or acceleration. Since the battery can recharge at cruising speeds, I am willing to better speeding up or taking off being handled by torque on a electric motor will help maintain higher MPG, at least for a limited time. I definitely could be wrong though.
From experience eve
At this point of Tacoma shopping, I’m conditioned that 1 year means 2, and therefore won’t be holding my breath or plans for that.. but if it was out right now against a 25mpg Tacoma Hybrid I’d be very tempted
I think it's worth the wait if it's mileage over power you're after.

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
And if Stellantis drops the 4xe powertrain into the gladiator next year, that’ll make the competition increase too! I really hope ford and Jeep do this — it’d be nice to have more options and get them trying to out-compete each other on mpg/performance numbers.

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
I have a question about the hybrid power train in the taco and how it works. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge of this stuff knows the answer… it’s just a bit above my pay grade haha

So I know this powertrain, much like the tundra’s, is tuned for performance not MPG and the battery is TINY. But.. I noticed the assist motor is about the same HP as the one in the f150 hybrid. So i figure it’s enough to push/coast this truck through 30mph traffic maybe? Does that mean if, down the line an upgraded battery pack emerges (be it solid state or lithium) there could be a measurable mpg boost to the taco? Or would it not matter so much because it’s all programmed in the drive modes anyway? Er I hope that makes sense. Just trying to better wrap my head around the power train.

GL Rockwell

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 tacoma OR
I have a question about the hybrid power train in the taco and how it works. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge of this stuff knows the answer… it’s just a bit above my pay grade haha

So I know this powertrain, much like the tundra’s, is tuned for performance not MPG and the battery is TINY. But.. I noticed the assist motor is about the same HP as the one in the f150 hybrid. So i figure it’s enough to push/coast this truck through 30mph traffic maybe? Does that mean if, down the line an upgraded battery pack emerges (be it solid state or lithium) there could be a measurable mpg boost to the taco? Or would it not matter so much because it’s all programmed in the drive modes anyway? Er I hope that makes sense. Just trying to better wrap my head around the power train.
Better to wrap your head around what said battery would likely cost. Would it even be economically logical is the question.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
I noticed the assist motor is about the same HP as the one in the f150 hybrid. So i figure it’s enough to push/coast this truck through 30mph traffic maybe?
In a perfect scenario under ~25mph I heard apparently you can drive an iForceMax through a neighborhood and not require the ICE until the pack is depleted. Not sure where I heard this from but it's doable to an extent, very brief. That said, based on the battery size (1.87kwh), a 48hp motor would run at full output for about 3 mins to deplete it.

Coasting at speed? - Not sure, I presume the engine is running like a normal ICE in this scenario.

Last edited:

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
Better to wrap your head around what said battery would likely cost. Would it even be economically logical is the question.
For sure. I tend to own vehicles for a long time so I’d maybe entertain doing something like this years down the line. Deff not worth doing out the gate or anything like that.
Sponsored