Sponsored

Duce95

First Name
Big Deezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TRD Offroad
I know https://dongar.tech/ makes a solution but I wanted to make my own for less because I’m cool like that….

While I was waiting for my truck to arrive at the dealer, started doing some research. I wanted to find a dash cam hardwire solution. I found the new 4th GEN trucks are pre-wired with a pigtail to connect the OEM dash cam sold as an option for $500.

I ordered one part from AliExpress and another from Amazon.

I successfully hardwired my Viofo dash cam. Came out super clean.

2024 Tacoma Installed dash cam using factory pigtail connector IMG_3688
Sponsored

Dongar

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Haha right on, man! I would've done the same thing. FYI lets connect in a month or so... I have a new parking mode adapter with 100% custom buck converter designed by our new engineers in Europe (not a generic OTS converter)... low voltage protection, and timers. Would love to send you one for field testing. Can't reveal the final product & enclosure yet because we're still filing patents. Check out a demo here:

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Haha right on, man! I would've done the same thing. FYI lets connect in a month or so... I have a new parking mode adapter with 100% custom buck converter designed by our new engineers in Europe (not a generic OTS converter)... low voltage protection, and timers. Would love to send you one for field testing. Can't reveal the final product & enclosure yet because we're still filing patents. Check out a demo here:
I'd be excited to test this for you as well. My Regtiger is currently wired with your 5 pin connector. Would love one that plugs in up there somewhere with parking mode functionality.

Dongar

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I'd be excited to test this for you as well. My Regtiger is currently wired with your 5 pin connector. Would love one that plugs in up there somewhere with parking mode functionality.
you got it! :cool: . I'll post renders sometime this week and reach out when we get the new revisions in. I'll be honest that our current adapter left a lot of room for improvement... it uses an off-the-shelf USB module that's basically found in generic car chargers and this new one is significantly more intelligent in terms of power control, has a USB-C port and allows up to 12V now, etc. The parking mode and low-voltage protection alone will be a game changer!

Also FYI, there's a second 10-pin port powering the mirror with both constant and ignition-switched lines. You could hypothetically run a second camera (rear cam) to this port if you wanted. In my video, that's the 10-pin Type B adapter on the left.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
you got it! :cool: . I'll post renders sometime this week and reach out when we get the new revisions in. I'll be honest that our current adapter left a lot of room for improvement... it uses an off-the-shelf USB module that's basically found in generic car chargers and this new one is significantly more intelligent in terms of power control, has a USB-C port and allows up to 12V now, etc. The parking mode and low-voltage protection alone will be a game changer!

Also FYI, there's a second 10-pin port powering the mirror with both constant and ignition-switched lines. You could hypothetically run a second camera (rear cam) to this port if you wanted. In my video, that's the 10-pin Type B adapter on the left.
I was aware of the 10-pin but I was a little unclear on requirements there as I saw some things stating they didn't work with it if you have the digital mirror and others saying it was part of the safety system wiring so best to avoid tapping into it. In any case, my Redtiger has the rear camera as part of the kit and it plugs into the main camera via what looks like a fairly standard 1/8" stereo jack for both power to it and video feed from it. It's actually a pretty clean little setup.
2024 Tacoma Installed dash cam using factory pigtail connector 20240415_162438

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Genius! I never would've thought of looking but I'm glad someone did their research. Still got to get around to installing mine highly glad I seen this.

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Manual

I am very interested! I’m ready to install my Garmin Mini dash cam and really want to tap in without routing the parking mode harness all the way to the fuse box (or tapping in elsewhere). Is there a way to get on a waitlist?

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU

Do you all have any products to connect radar detector native RJ11 cords?

Dongar

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Do you all have any products to connect radar detector native RJ11 cords?
For our current product line, this works just fine in conjunction with our dashcam adapters: https://www.stickerfab.com/products...ne-uniden-radar-detector-power-cord-universal

For our upcoming USB-C products, you could use one of these: https://www.stickerfab.com/products...r-power-cord-universal?variant=44323500458303

I'd say though that since you have two ideal connectors both already at 12V (the 5-pin connector dashcam harness in the domelight, and the 10-pin autodimming mirror connector under the rearview mirror plastic shroud) it would probably be a quick DIY project to use a product from mirrortap or one of the many clones on Amazon. Their stuff has friction-fit pins that slip into the back of the connectors.

I'm somewhat a fan of the stuff from Radenso which performs well for $350: https://www.vortexradar.com/2021/08/radenso-ds1-initial-test-results/

Here it is running off a USB-A to USB-C cable + dongar dashcam adapter, powered from my autodimming mirror:
2024 Tacoma Installed dash cam using factory pigtail connector 1713417612629

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
For our current product line, this works just fine in conjunction with our dashcam adapters: https://www.stickerfab.com/products...ne-uniden-radar-detector-power-cord-universal

For our upcoming USB-C products, you could use one of these: https://www.stickerfab.com/products...r-power-cord-universal?variant=44323500458303

I'd say though that since you have two ideal connectors both already at 12V (the 5-pin connector dashcam harness in the domelight, and the 10-pin autodimming mirror connector under the rearview mirror plastic shroud) it would probably be a quick DIY project to use a product from mirrortap or one of the many clones on Amazon. Their stuff has friction-fit pins that slip into the back of the connectors.

I'm somewhat a fan of the stuff from Radenso which performs well for $350: https://www.vortexradar.com/2021/08/radenso-ds1-initial-test-results/

Here it is running off a USB-A to USB-C cable + dongar dashcam adapter, powered from my autodimming mirror:
1713417612629.png
I figured a 10 pin to USB would be the way to go. I am coming from a Jeep wrangler so max range is not the most important to me. Hard to speed that much in a brick. I have a stealth installed V1 running JBV1 to my mounted cell phone. Android Auto is running my navigation and music with my phone screen showing all radar info provided by the JBV1 app. It's an amazing setup that I hope I can bring over in some way to the Taco. Most importantly I can leave the roof off on the Jeep with no worry of someone finding the V1.
Sponsored