Sponsored

Replacing oil drain plug with Fumoto - same size as previous gen?

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
I looked 'em up yesterday on Fumoto's website. I think it's the same. EZ-103.
Sponsored

Osprey

First Name
Cleve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road
Sorry guys- didn't mean to stir the pot here. I do genuinely appreciate the viewpoints as I'd only been recommended one of these plugs recently. To be honest, I searched for quite a while and only came across 2 "larger" failures, none on a Tacoma, where it seems part of the material had worn off into the oil pan over time, which again could come from over torque of the part and causing undue stress on the material. All that said, had yet to find a failure of leaking out or breaking off-road, so I had considered giving these a try but didn't want to be the first to give it a fitting. I'm looking to baby this 4th gen with oil changes, turbo and whatnot.
Don't worry about it brother. You should see the shitstorm this topic generates over at Tacoma World. This is mild. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and everyone thinks everyone but theirs stinks.

I personally don't see an issue with this product and may utilize it myself someday. The fact that Toyota doesn't put one on at the factory isn't really an argument. They are gonna put a $0.05 bolt on before a $30 fitting every single time. It's absence isn't proof of anything. Sounds like you did your homework. Do what is best for you.

Peace.

Last edited:

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Just for the negative naysayers here, you slip the plastic tube over the Fumoto, run the tube into your container, and flip the lever. You don't need to wear plastic gloves because there's no mess.

For those of you who change your oil, they're slick.

26wx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Put me in the paranoia category... I'll admit it. But if you use one, aren't we reducing the "completeness" of the drain by raising the level in the sump at which oil can empty? How far up does that bolt go into the pan? 1/4"? 1/2"? I want as much old oil to drain as possible.

Again, not trying to pick a fight here. I'm fully aware this is probably much ado about nothing...

Rocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd w/upgrade
Votex makes a really nice drain plug. Low profile, clean, a little expensive, but made in USA. I ordered one, looks perfect, but waiting for oil change to install.

Sponsored

Dieselfxr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TRD and a 2024 TRDOR with a deposit
Fumoto valves are used on lots of heavy construction equipment they are installed by the OEM. They are super reliable in my experience (40 years as a diesel mechanic) I have one on my wife’s Honda Passport and my 99 TRD never had any issues. I will likely be installing one at 1st service around 1k miles if my TRDOR ever shows up. I will likely not be using the Toyota care and just service it myself.

drabon74

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4-Runner
Dealers and quickie lube hate them………because seeing them means you skip their overpriced oil changes and diy. I have never heard anyone have an issue. They make oil changes much cleaner, and a little faster. If you are technically inclined enough to change your own oil you will be fine.

DawnPatrol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
This same argument is used against using a vacuum pump for top down oil changes and is a total non issue. There are videos showing less than a tablespoon of oil remains once letting out the plug.

People online are so paranoid about oil when oil related failures are slim to none on modern vehicles provided you follow factory intervals.

way more likely one of the 17,000 sensors fail or computers bug out than an oil related failure. That goes double for a failure related to a teaspoon of engine oil.

might as well disassemble the entire engine and wipe everything down if you are that worried about it 🙄

Sponsored

flat1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD sport
Did you end up ordering one?
What p/n did you get?

it looks like it would be F133s if I looked it up correctly?

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
200 Series Land Cruiser
I have had one on my Land Cruiser 200 series for 9 years with no issues. I wheel the crap out of my LC. It is protected by a skid plate. I connect a hose to it to drain it.

I understand the concern if exposed underneath, but in my case it is protected. If it is protected, I don't see an issue. If the valve fails to close after draining, then that will be obvious when completing the oil change and can be replaced then. I see it unlikely to fail after being closed.

I will look at the Tacoma when I get it after I select which skid plates I want and decide then. I use one on the LC due to my robust skid plates and not wanting to remove them to eliminate any oil splatter.

Last edited:

Ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500, Honda Pioneer 1000
I've been using these for multiple years on many vehicles.

https://nospillsystems.com/

Looks like a lower profile than the Fumoto.

I don't see the 2024 Tacoma listed on their website but emailed them. I will update here when i get a reply.