Sponsored

dmpplantz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
In this video, the guys discuss Tacoma MPG, as a guess at 4runner fuel economy, and they state that Tacoma Hybrid gets 25 highway, as compared to non-hybrid getting 24. The non hybrid 24 highway is for non TRD, so I'm sure the hybrid 25mpg is also for non TRD. Will be interesting to see what trailhunter and pro get rated at with lift and bigger tires and no air dam.

Tacoma Hybrid 25 MPG is mentioned at 10:30 mark:

Sponsored

Jabstep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
I know the hybrid powertrain is for power but I think Toyota is missing the mark by not gearing that hybrid technology to increase MPG. If you could somehow keep the power the same as the traditional powertrain and increase the highway MPG to 28-29, I think you'd have something really appealing. I don't need the additional power so the Hybrid does nothing for me and most Tacoma owners.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
I know the hybrid powertrain is for power but I think Toyota is missing the mark by not gearing that hybrid technology to increase MPG. If you could somehow keep the power the same as the traditional powertrain and increase the highway MPG to 28-29, I think you'd have something really appealing. I don't need the additional power so the Hybrid does nothing for me and most Tacoma owners.

You would be looking at something like a Maverick if they decided to do that. Smaller, less payload/towing./less capable truck is what would happen to the Tacoma if you tried to get the MPGs up there. There is a reason why all the midsize trucks are in the same MPG threshold and then a compact FWD Hybrid truck comes a long and puts up high MPG numbers.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, German Money Pit, Rusty Toyota
Good points but the secret sauce that nobody has figured out is high MPG **and** power. You get one or the other but never both.

And-- There's only so much you can do with the three box design far as aero goes, hence the godawful ugly air dam on the lower spec gasser Tacomas.

25MPG is pretty damned good in a truck, all things being said and done. Especially when you consider 20 years ago the 1G Taco was getting maybe 20mpg on the highway with a stiff tailwind... and weighed significantly less.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
That's what I was originally hoping for, and I was a bit disappointed when it became apparent we wouldn't really see a mileage improvement on the hybrids. BUT, the way I look at it is that you're basically getting upgrades on the hybrid models without the usual mileage penalty. If you take a gas Tacoma and put 18" wheels and 33" tires on it, you'll lose 2-3 mpg. A small lift? more mpg.. It seems like the hybrid models will get those upgrades while still achieving slightly better mileage than the gas models AND you get more power and torque. Not a bad outcome.. I'm curious what the hybrid Limited trim gets for mileage, as it will not have as much ground clearance, etc.

MIKE

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda accord hybrid, Ram 1500
AGREED, ALL THEY NEED TO DO IS PUT THE 2.5 na HYBRID SYSTEM FROM THE GRAND HYLANDER AND THEY WOULD PROBABLY BE AT 30MPG. I DONT NEED THE EXTRA POWER BUT I DO NEED A 6 FT BED. THE mAAVERICK BED DOESNT HOLD MUCH.

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
The hybrid battery can recharge itself at idle, though probably not as quickly as it can at max torque. What I am curious to see is if the hybrids retain the better MPG with larger tires. There's no free lunch with energy, but what eats a lot of fuel is getting up and going from a stop or acceleration. Since the battery can recharge at cruising speeds, I am willing to better speeding up or taking off being handled by torque on a electric motor will help maintain higher MPG, at least for a limited time. I definitely could be wrong though.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your looking at it wrong. The halo trims are raptor/zr2 competitiors. Go look at what the MPG for those are.

The hybrid is a massive boost to efficiency simply by outputting that much more power at almost 25% better MPG than its competitors.

"Most Tacoma" owners are not focused on MPGs. I'm not sure where you got that vibe from.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Good points but the secret sauce that nobody has figured out is high MPG **and** power. You get one or the other but never both.

And-- There's only so much you can do with the three box design far as aero goes, hence the godawful ugly air dam on the lower spec gasser Tacomas.

25MPG is pretty damned good in a truck, all things being said and done. Especially when you consider 20 years ago the 1G Taco was getting maybe 20mpg on the highway with a stiff tailwind... and weighed significantly less.
Idk. I find raptor levels of torque at 23-24 combined to be incredible. That IS power and MPG to me.

We wont even see powerful 45MPG trucks. We will all be EV owners before that happens.

JWestie

First Name
Rand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma OR
The 23 MPG combined for the Tacoma hybrid is disappointing especially since the Tundra hybrid badly underperforms its EPA rating. Perhaps the 2025 RamCharger will change the calculus on truck electrification (or fail spectacularly).

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, German Money Pit, Rusty Toyota
Idk. I find raptor levels of torque at 23-24 combined to be incredible. That IS power and MPG to me.

We wont even see powerful 45MPG trucks. We will all be EV owners before that happens.
I had to do a double take and look this one up- the V6T F150 Raptor gets 12/18 and the V8 gets 10/15 from C&D's tests and EPA is 16/15/18 Combined/City/Highway. The Ranger Raptor gets 16/18 on their tests and 17/16/18 on the EPA test.

Now, a regular Ranger will hit the 22/20-21/24-25 but that's just a turbo 4 banger. It beats the regular Tacoma's 20/19/23 and C&D's 17/22.

If the Hybrid Tacoma in non-TRD Pro or Trailhunter trim is hitting 25MPG consistently, it lines up with the gas Ranger in theory.

Then the question becomes the available range.

The other big factor is that generally speaking after the break in period, MPG typically improves slightly if no changes are made to running gear (tires, etc)

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i

Yes 25 MPG is good in a truck for sure. That makes the non hybrid version even more impressive at 24 mpg without the complication and expense of the hybrid powertrain. Hybridization of the Toyota truck line, as well as Land Cruiser, 4Runner, goes against the reason I think most people buy Toyota...reliability and longevity. Batteries are in a constant slow state of degredation from day 1 and there is no way to stop the laws of physics that are working on that battery every day.

So will anyone want a 10-15 year old Tacoma Hybrid facing an expensive battery replacement? If your buying your Tacoma for the long haul are you comfortable knowing that some day you will have a significant expense on a hybrid that you wouldn't have on a plain ICE? I don't know but if I were shopping used/older/out of warranty, I would put a premium on finding one that used a plain old gas motor. In Toyota's defense I don't think they had a choice not to offer hybrid powertrains due to government pressure to do so.

Last edited:

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
.. I'm curious what the hybrid Limited trim gets for mileage, as it will not have as much ground clearance, etc.
The TRD Sport iForceMax as well, that should have some great MPG numbers, chin spoiler et. al.