Sponsored

tacorancher

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
k
Joined
Sep 1, 2024
Threads
52
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,952
Location
houston
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
I literally just towed a 3100 lb Rpod trailer. I’d definitely get the weight distribution/sway control hitch.

I agree with others. Fuel economy almost doubled
Which one do you recommend
Sponsored

 

Goriders

TRD Sport
Well-known member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Mar 17, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
414
Reaction score
293
Location
Calgary
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I’d get both. Or maybe I should say, I’m getting both. I towed the trailer for a half hour or so. I wanted to see how it handled in general at highway speed. I also wanted to go up a decent hill.

I did both of those things. It handled awesome with the hitch and the engine didn’t struggle going up the hill in tow mode.

Fuel economy went in the dumpster though. I usually get around 22 mpg on the highway as an average. I was around 11 mpg towing the trailer. So we’re going to have to plan trips that have gas stations along the way.

Only had about an inch of squat once the trailer was hooked up with the wd hitch. Which was better than I expected.

Trailer brake controller worked seamlessly as well. I set the gain around 6.0.
 
Last edited:

Goriders

TRD Sport
Well-known member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Mar 17, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
414
Reaction score
293
Location
Calgary
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
Advice I would give from all of my research is watch your payload limit. That’s what runs out first once you add up people, gear and the hitch weight
 

Sponsored

just_rich_young

TRD Off-Road
Active member
Joined
Jun 2, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
29
Reaction score
17
Location
Lawrence, KS
Vehicle(s)
2025 Tacoma TRD-OR
Just did KS, NE, IA, SD, CO and back to KS. No WDH and it towed fine. MPG were around 11 to 14 in the mountains and 7 to 8 in KS at 75 to 80 mph with a headwind.

2024 Tacoma Anyone brave enough to tow a camper yet? I was. PXL_20260912_201514142
 

Mrknowitall

SR
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2022
Threads
0
Messages
154
Reaction score
124
Location
SE MI
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 22 XV
Which one do you recommend
The blue ox is highly recommended anywhere trailers are discussed.
I have the Camco Eaz-Lift TR3 and its fantastic. Best for consistent loads, as adjusting the spring tension takes tools. Sway control is much better than the friction bars.
 

tacorancher

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
k
Joined
Sep 1, 2024
Threads
52
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,952
Location
houston
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
The blue ox is highly recommended anywhere trailers are discussed.
I have the Camco Eaz-Lift TR3 and its fantastic. Best for consistent loads, as adjusting the spring tension takes tools. Sway control is much better than the friction bars.
So you’re recommending weight distribution - not just sway control
 

GSPHerder

TRD Pro
Well-known member
First Name
Rudy
Joined
Feb 13, 2026
Threads
12
Messages
237
Reaction score
196
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2026 Tacoma TRD PRO
Guys I want to tow a side by side (2,000 pound mule) on a 14 foot BigTex trailer (double axle, 1400 pounds). I assume I’ll need a sway control device? Has anyone tried pulling roughly this amount of weight in this configuration?
Towing about the same, side by side is around 1800lbs. With the dual axles it has been solid as a rock. No sway what so ever with just a regular hitch. I even move the weight back towards the rear axle to gain 1.5" of height at the hitch and still solid as a rock.
 

Sponsored

tacorancher

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
k
Joined
Sep 1, 2024
Threads
52
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,952
Location
houston
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Towing about the same, side by side is around 1800lbs. With the dual axles it has been solid as a rock. No sway what so ever with just a regular hitch. I even move the weight back towards the rear axle to gain 1.5" of height at the hitch and still solid as a rock.
Exactly. Buddy of mine says I probably don’t need anything.
 

Drifte

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
First Name
Colton
Joined
Nov 27, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
100
Reaction score
99
Location
Iowa
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma, 20 RAV4, 10 Tundra, 99 C5
Just did KS, NE, IA, SD, CO and back to KS. No WDH and it towed fine. MPG were around 11 to 14 in the mountains and 7 to 8 in KS at 75 to 80 mph with a headwind.

PXL_20260912_201514142.webp
I did a similar trip and similar setup (Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming). If I take a highway thats 60mph and under I average 18mpg witht the NOBO 10.5 (appx 2200lbs loaded). At the 70+ mph it drops to 15 and I can hold 15 or go with traffic and drop to 14. I cant complain, thats still better than my 2nd gen Tundra by itself.

I do have heavier duty springs, and custom tune. Truck did awesome, but wish it would engine brake a little better.

2024 Tacoma Anyone brave enough to tow a camper yet? I was. 20260822_150541
 

GSPHerder

TRD Pro
Well-known member
First Name
Rudy
Joined
Feb 13, 2026
Threads
12
Messages
237
Reaction score
196
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2026 Tacoma TRD PRO
I did a similar trip and similar setup (Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming). If I take a highway thats 60mph and under I average 18mpg witht the NOBO 10.5 (appx 2200lbs loaded). At the 70+ mph it drops to 15 and I can hold 15 or go with traffic and drop to 14. I cant complain, thats still better than my 2nd gen Tundra by itself.

Thats a nice setup, I like it and the mpg is crazy good with a load. Do you have the stinkbug effect with no load? Do you have a pic without the camper?
 

Drifte

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
First Name
Colton
Joined
Nov 27, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
100
Reaction score
99
Location
Iowa
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma, 20 RAV4, 10 Tundra, 99 C5
Thats a nice setup, I like it and the mpg is crazy good with a load. Do you have the stinkbug effect with no load? Do you have a pic without the camper?
Doesnt seem to be much for photos of the truck. It looks slightly taller than stock but not by much. The pic with the bed rack and nothing loaded is the only picture I seem to have of it with the alldog springs.


2024 Tacoma Anyone brave enough to tow a camper yet? I was. 20260825_072215


2024 Tacoma Anyone brave enough to tow a camper yet? I was. 20250913_135259
Sponsored

 
 






Top