Sponsored

Trying out 5w-30 engine oil

braaadyyota

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Brady
Joined
Sep 6, 2024
Threads
4
Messages
153
Reaction score
204
Location
Minnesota
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
5w-30 is good down to like -25 F. Unless you’re up in Alaska or something, you would be better off with 5w-30.
In central MN it can get to -25F or even as low as -35F or colder in some parts. Air temp, not with windchill. I don't know all that much about different oil in different temps but would it be recommended to stick with 0W20? It can also get into the 90s here in the summer.
Sponsored

 

lauren01

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Lauren
Joined
Aug 20, 2025
Threads
6
Messages
996
Reaction score
948
Location
Ventura, CA USA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Tacoma Trailhunter LB
Totally unrelated to the T24 engine, but I've been running 5w30 in our 0w20 spec'd 2ZR powered Corolla since the 1000 mile mark. It has nearly 80k on it now. Runs flawlessly.

20260815_110832.webp


I wouldn't hesitate to run 5w30 in my Tacoma. But I have a decent sized stash of 0w20 at the moment. I'm also waiting on Lake Speed's conclusions with his Tacoma. If there's any measurable benefit, I'm in.

I ran 5w30 in my 2GR 3rd gen.
Same here—Lake will tell all.
 

Ace-ington

TRD Sport
Member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Apr 29, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
20
Reaction score
15
Location
Canada
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I worked in the Engine plant at Honda Canada Manufacturing building the 2.0 liter naturally aspirated Civic engine from 2011 to 2024(transfered to stamping dept now) and I can tell you putting thicker oil in you engine can actually cause more wear issues, i have always ran the recommended oil and never had problems (0w20 in my 2012 Si) i will say going to a 5w30 probably isnt gonna cause any big long term issues but the oil valleys in the engine are very small and thicker oil has a harder time going through them. Your journal bearings between your connecting rod and crank shaft have a tolerance of Microns (tollerance have tightened up over time) so if the oil is too thick it will not lubricate that area very well which could cause catastrophic issues. I don't know about the new 2.4 turbo but any engines with Variable valve timing thicker oil is not good for it, that said 5w30 probably won't do very much harm i just wouldnt go to anything thicker. I have never heard of anyone's warranty being void for using different oil. My 2 cents
 

Sponsored

IDontWorkForTheWaterCo

SR
Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
299
Reaction score
369
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2026 Tacoma SR
"More than twice as likely to shear out of grade vs. 0w-20." Have at it.

As a general rule, the smaller the difference between the 2 numbers, the more shear stable an oil is. So generally speaking, 0w20 is more stable.

But shear isn't the only thing that can cause an oil to fall out of grade. If fuel dilution is a problem, 5w30 will typically have a better chance of staying in grade vs 0w20
 

Sponsored

IDontWorkForTheWaterCo

SR
Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
299
Reaction score
369
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2026 Tacoma SR
Which reinforces Lake's take on this idea of some shade-tree mechanic's theory that thicker oil is better.
Stable just means it's a little less likey to fall out of the 20 grade from shear. That doesn't necessarily mean 20 is enough if you are someone who idles and/or short trips often, especially in cold weather. Fuel dilution will drop a 20 out of grade quicker than a 30. And even if a 30 does drop out of grade, it still has more headroom before it falls below a 20 grade.
 

Sagebrush

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Tony
Joined
May 18, 2024
Threads
15
Messages
1,358
Reaction score
1,393
Location
Salmon Idaho
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR with Premium package
Stable just means it's a little less likey to fall out of the 20 grade from shear.
I'm not going to argue against your point.

Although I find some of his content hard to watch, Lake Speed Jr. knows way more about oil than I'll ever need to know or want to know, and he suggests not doing this.
 

24tacoman

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
Dec 21, 2024
Threads
9
Messages
61
Reaction score
91
Location
Canada
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD OR 6M
Oh boy, I can’t wait for another 20 page oil thread… however

There is a measurable advantage in wear characteristics using 5w30 compared to 0w20, at least for summer driving. I did two used oil analyses on 0w20 and 5w30. Both were taken at the same mileage, with the same brand of oil, under the same driving conditions and season. The 5w30 showed less wear metals and contaminants than the 0w20. See my other post about this for the data.

Anecdotally, the engine idles, runs, and operates so much smoother on 5w30. It is truly a noticeable difference compared to 0w20, especially on a hot summer day. Oil pressure remains the same thanks to the variable displacement oil pump too.

This is all the evidence I need that 0w20 is solely specced for CAFE emissions regulations and not for optimal engine wear characteristics. 5w30 is specced for the same T24A-FTS in parts of Europe, Russia, and Mexico.

Since I live in Northern Canada, I will be running 0w20 from October-May, as it gets down to -40C very regularly here during that period and cold starts produce the most wear on engines than anything else. 0w30 is a good alternative but is has less shear stability than 0w20 or 5w30.

Do your own research and UOA’s to make the decision for your own truck, but running 5w30 for the T24A seems to be the logical data-driven choice for me and my truck.
 

SKYRNCHEXP

TRD Sport
New member
First Name
MIKE
Joined
Sep 14, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
4
Reaction score
6
Location
KNEEVADA
Vehicle(s)
2024 TACOMA SPORT
Wonder why Toyota specs 5w-30 in Mexico then?
Does that documentation really exist? I searched as much as i could before i switched and i couldent find any documentation from toyota stating that 5-30 is ok in mexico sold NA tacomas, or SA sold tacomas.

Does anyone actually have a manual from any of these other market tacomas, thats shows 5w-30 as an approved viscosity?
Sponsored

 
 






Top